Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Rear Face past 4? three across...

I currently have a 2014 Forrester with a RF Coccoro, FF Radian, and RF Foonf.

Coccoro - my 17mo rides rear facing behind passenger seat
    Radian - my 6yr old rides Forward facing in the middle
    Foonf - my almost 4yr old rides Rear facing behind driver seat

The seats puzzle nicely and actually fit three across in this configuration. Everyone is currently HAPPY in their seat!

How long can my almost 4 yr old rear facing in the Foonf? I had initially planned to keep him RFing until age 4, but not he is approaching turning age 4 (in july) and I'd like to continue to keep him RFing. Can I do that safely?

Basically, I don't want to have to figure out a new configuration for three across right now.

I think the Coccorro is 33lb/36in limit for rear facing. If possible, I'd like to keep the current configuration until the baby outgrows the coccorro rear facing height and weight limits which will force me to find a new seat to puzzle in there for three across.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Rear Face past 4? three across...

Hi there.

There's no age limit to rear facing. You can use the Foonf to 50 pounds/44"/1" of headrest above the head rear facing.

What may work well down the road is to pass down your Radian and buy your six year old a booster seat.

The Coccoro is 33 pounds/36"/1" of shell above the head.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Unregistered

Thumbs up Re: Rear Face past 4? three across...

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    Hi there.

There's no age limit to rear facing. You can use the Foonf to 50 pounds/44"/1" of headrest above the head rear facing.

What may work well down the road is to pass down your Radian and buy your six year old a booster seat.

The Coccoro is 33 pounds/36"/1" of shell above the head.

Wendy
    Thanks for the info!

Ultimately I will buy a booster. 6yr old is about 44lbs right now, so big enough for one. However, think it would be hard for him to buckle the seat belt in with three across. Also, I worry he wouldn't sit still and correctly with a seatbelt. I feel better with him in a 5 point, too.

When my little guy outgrows the coccoro, I will switch everyone up one seat and get a booster. I think my little guy has to reach 25lbs before we remove the bulky seat pad from the coccoro, but that should give him more height room (or at least I suspect it will).

Rear Face past 4? three across...

Or just pass down the radian and the RF foonf and buy another radian. They should fit side by side FF or outboard, with the RF foonf in the middle.

CPS Fanatic
    I'd keep your middle kiddo rf too. Why figure out a new three across before you have to!

Unregistered

Re: Rear Face past 4? three across...

Quote Originally Posted by babyherder View Post
    I'd keep your middle kiddo rf too. Why figure out a new three across before you have to!
    middle guy is FF right now. I have RF, FF, RF

I took almost three hours of blood, sweat and tears to get those seats installed. They are secure and everyone is happy, so why change what works until I have to

CPS Fanatic
    I meant middle by age. Lol. I rf my youngest nanny girl as long as possible partly so I could fit a ff seat next to her and leave a passenger's side seat empty for adults. I miss how easy that set up was.