Bubble Bum expiration

cwyn

The Bubble Bum booster that I have says that it expires four years after the date of purchase, which while preferable to using date of manufacture, I am finding confusing. I'm trying to put all my carseat expiration dates into my calendar so that I don't lose track, and I am baffled about what to do with the bubble bum. Here is why:

The date of manufacture is actually in 2012, a good 2-3 years before I bought the seat. I don't remember the exact date of purchase, but I know that I did not use the seat until after my DD turned 4, in early 2014. We only use the seat for short trips, usually in taxis, so I would estimate that we use this seat about 2-6 times per year total. I have two concerns:

1) I'm not sure of the exact date of purchase, but I do know pretty closely the first date of use (since it was after my DD's fourth birthday, I could use her fourth birthday as the date of purchase, if the main thing to be concerned about is the date it was first used). Does it seem reasonable to use the date of first use as the baseline if I don't remember the date of purchase, or do I need to be super-conservative and back up the expiration date by 6 months or a year prior to first use just to be safe, since I don't remember the date of purchase?

2) It seems like this seat sat around for years in the store before I bought it. Is the four years from date of purchase still reasonable if it sat around in the store for 2-3 years before I bought it? Should I assume that once the seat is more than six years from the date of manufacture that it should no longer be used, even if it is still within the four years since I purchased it? Does Bubble Bum limit how long these seats can sit at the stores before they are sold?

I guess I am a bit baffled by the date of purchase guideline, because it isn't clear to me how Bubble Bum calculated that--it must be based on some date that actually links back to the date of manufacture, shouldn't it? Because the date of purchase is so arbitrary, given how long a car seat can sit at a store? Just looking for some general guidance about what I should pick for the seat expiration date. It's not like these seats are so expensive that it would be the end of the world to have to buy an extra one before my kids outgrow them, but I don't want to dump a perfectly good seat in a landfill either.

I guess I am just driven a bit crazy by the imprecision of it. I wish Bubble Bum would give some rule such as: four years from date of purchase or six years from date of manufacture, whatever comes first; or four years from date of purchase, or six years from date of manufacture if you can't remember when you bought it. :) It didn't occur to me to note the date of purchase when I bought it because every other carseat I have encountered always had the expiration date based on the date of manufacture.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

ADS

aept

I think you are being conservative enough by going with her fourth birthday as the date of purchase.
In my opinion, a bubblebum is more likely to have a problem with the inflation valve before the safety webbing/clips. (I base this purely on my experience with ONE seat - which bubblebum replaced for me free of charge!)
You'll know pretty easily if it won't stay inflated when your child is sinking down on it while riding in it. It's not like something that would be a sudden catastrophic failure in an accident.
The webbing/straps/clips seem just as sturdy as in any other seat that would have a 6-10 year expiration. Again, totally just my opinion here. I also think they are aware that their products do sit on shelves for a while. I don't think anything is going to stress it too much while it's just hanging out deflated in it's packaging. I wish more seats would use date of first use - but I guess they probably don't just because of grey areas like your situation.

aeormsby

I think you are being conservative enough by going with her fourth birthday as the date of purchase.
In my opinion, a bubblebum is more likely to have a problem with the inflation valve before the safety webbing/clips. (I base this purely on my experience with ONE seat - which bubblebum replaced for me free of charge!)
You'll know pretty easily if it won't stay inflated when your child is sinking down on it while riding in it. It's not like something that would be a sudden catastrophic failure in an accident.
The webbing/straps/clips seem just as sturdy as in any other seat that would have a 6-10 year expiration. Again, totally just my opinion here. I also think they are aware that their products do sit on shelves for a while. I don't think anything is going to stress it too much while it's just hanging out deflated in it's packaging. I wish more seats would use date of first use - but I guess they probably don't just because of grey areas like your situation.

This is along the lines of what I think for their date logic also. The bladder/valve are probably the point of failure (even though the seat passes all tests deflated) and the wear and tear on that don't start until after it's purchased & being used.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They have stated that you can go by date of first inflation if it sits a long time before you use it.

In this case it won't have material wear and tear until it's used so if you first inflated it at first use I'd go by that.

I write the date on the bottom so I know when it expires!

Mary_Ann

They have stated that you can go by date of first inflation if it sits a long time before you use it.

In this case it won't have material wear and tear until it's used so if you first inflated it at first use I'd go by that.

I write the date on the bottom so I know when it expires!

Oh thanks! I have one sitting in my closet and I was wondering if I was losing life. You made my day!😉

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC