Help me decide what van I am looking for please!

momtoo3

I currently drive an 03 Dodge Caravan (not grand caravan.) I have an extra 3rd row bench that I can use in the 2nd row to make it an 8 passenger. It will hit 100,000 miles very soon (currently 99,400) and we have put a couple thousand dollars into it in the past 2 years. The engine light is on again and gives a code that either means some kind of evap problem or a temp problem. The shop we go to to said most likely an evap code. Estimate is about $600. It also needs brakes. I am between throwing another $1000 into it or calling it quits and trading it in.

Budget $15,000 max but would really like to be under $12,000. An 8 passenger would be ideal but might be able to do 7 passenger (really want 8 passenger though.) I know some of the 8th seat options on some years of some vans are not very friendly or usable but don't know enough to know which models or years. I'm hoping for low miles if an older van. I'm also hoping for a 2nd row bench if possible or one where the captains chair can move center. I can deal without that though.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer will be an older Odyssey, Sienna or Sedona. I wouldn't be opposed to a Dodge/Chrysler if the third row seatbelts weren't so stupid. I suppose I could look for one that has low miles in the year before the 3rd row changed,whatever year that is. I've just heard that for an older vehicle Honda or Toyota are the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ADS

Mags462

Based on your requirements 8passanger 2005-2010 sienna hands down. They are harder to find but broaden your search area to include a large metro area if possible (we bought our van in the dallas metroplex even though we live in oklahoma). The larger city will allow larger inventory and lower prices typically due to competition.

I also would add to not be too wary of higher mile toyota vans. We got a killer deal on ours bc it was 3years old but had around 75k miles on it. We have owned it for 6.5 years, it now has 130k miles on it and it still drives like a champ. We have never done anything but routine maitenance to it. I fully expect several more years of worry free driving from it. The chrysler/dodge vans are just not made the same..... They just arent. Have a mechanic look over any vehicle but dont shy away from a higher mileage japanese van bc of your experience with the american vans.

Lastly check to see if the model year you are thinking of buying has a timing belt or a timing chain. I know toyota switched from a belt on their v6 sienna engines to a chain at some point. My van has a belt which is fine, its just something that must be replaced every 90k miles so if you are looking at a sienna with 87k miles confirm the belt has been replaced or negotiate a lower price bc that is a bit of a costly replacement (roughly 1k average for the belt and water pump)...... Just keep that in mind while shopping.

Have fun van shopping! I LOVE my sienna!

Last edited:

jjordan

Agreeing with the pp for an 8 passenger, but I wouldn't rule out a 2006-2010 Sedona. Only 7 passenger, but putting 5 kids in the back isn't hugely inconvenient. For your money you will get newer/fewer miles compared to Toyota and Honda, and better safety ratings to boot.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC