3 across RF

mamadomino

Hi all,

I have a son who will be 2 in August, currently RF in a Chicco Nextfit. We are also expecting twins in September. I'd like to keep my son RF as long as possible, so I need to figure out a vehicle/car seat combo that will fit us all safely, both now and in the future.

I currently have a 2013 Explorer (not inflatable seat belts). From what I've read, it would be extremely challenging to get 3 RF given the center 2nd row seat is so narrow. I would prefer to stay in an SUV and not a mini van, but since I'm only 5'4" it seems pretty unlikely. It's already pretty challenging for me to get my son into his seat since he's not particularly cooperative.

We are strongly considering the Honda Odyssey (likely 2014). I'd like to keep my son in his Nextfit and RF if we can. We also have a Britax b safe from when he was an infant I would prefer to reuse for one of the twins. Would two b safes and a Nextfit fit all RF in the second row of the Odyssey? Is there another car option that might work better for us? Should we just give up and buy a bus? If you were me what configuration of seats and vehicle would you get?

Thanks for the help!

ADS

lgenne

Honda Odyssey for sure! We love our 2013. And if I were looking for one new to me, I'd shoot for 2014+, ideally. There were some added safety features in 2014.

You'll definitely be able to do 3 across the 2nd row. The center seat is a little persnickety, with plenty of seats just not working there at all, but some seats work, and the row is super wide, so getting them to fit side by side is no issue.

mamadomino

Honda Odyssey for sure! We love our 2013. And if I were looking for one new to me, I'd shoot for 2014+, ideally. There were some added safety features in 2014.

You'll definitely be able to do 3 across the 2nd row. The center seat is a little persnickety, with plenty of seats just not working there at all, but some seats work, and the row is super wide, so getting them to fit side by side is no issue.

Thanks for the input! I'm trying to get over driving a mini van, sounds like I'll just have to suck it up!
Posted via Mobile Device

Mags462

If you truly want to try fitting 3 across in an SUV there are a couple that are more car seat friendly than others - the two off the top of my head that fit 3 across fairly easily is the Honda Pilot (older model, not sure on the latest model) and Acura MDX.

I will also say that the nextfit is a really great seat but the sides are quite high and the seat itself is deep which makes it difficult to load a RF older child into. I loved my nextfit but i also had a van and much more room to allow my child to climb in himself. He was also my youngest so i wasn't wrangling the other two into their seats as one was FF and one was in a booster by then. Try a Diono Radian - VERY low profile and easy to get an older child rear facing in. It is also one of the most narrow seats on the market and will make your 3 across hopes even easier.

If in the end you buy a van it won't be the end of the world ;) I love my Sienna :D

rosey2007

I guess the seat size must be a lot smaller on the newer Explorers. I have an 03 and I could easily fit 3 across.
Anyways, I think for toddlers I would get a minivan. It's amazing the amount of room that they provide.

mamadomino

If you truly want to try fitting 3 across in an SUV there are a couple that are more car seat friendly than others - the two off the top of my head that fit 3 across fairly easily is the Honda Pilot (older model, not sure on the latest model) and Acura MDX.

I will also say that the nextfit is a really great seat but the sides are quite high and the seat itself is deep which makes it difficult to load a RF older child into. I loved my nextfit but i also had a van and much more room to allow my child to climb in himself. He was also my youngest so i wasn't wrangling the other two into their seats as one was FF and one was in a booster by then. Try a Diono Radian - VERY low profile and easy to get an older child rear facing in. It is also one of the most narrow seats on the market and will make your 3 across hopes even easier.

If in the end you buy a van it won't be the end of the world ;) I love my Sienna :D

Thanks for the input! I think we're going to end up with the van. We put the nextfit plus an infant seat in my car today and there's just no way it will work. I like the nextfit, but had I known we were going to end up with 3 kids I definitely would have chosen something else!
Posted via Mobile Device

mamadomino

I guess the seat size must be a lot smaller on the newer Explorers. I have an 03 and I could easily fit 3 across.
Anyways, I think for toddlers I would get a minivan. It's amazing the amount of room that they provide.

I'm not sure when they changed it, but somewhere along the line they made it impossible to get 3 in and installed correctly. There's enough space side to side, but the middle seat is so narrow that placing a seat there bumps out the outboard seats forcefully and doesn't give a clean installation. It's actually quite infuriating!
Posted via Mobile Device

mamah

I can fit three across in both my suburban and 4Runner. We have a bunch of radians, a scenery next and a cocorro. They all seem to puzzle fine. And the radian low profile sides are no problem, even with the taller SUV.

tribord

The 2016 Pilot is longer and wider than older ones, so would probably do 3-across without a problem. It also has FF tether anchors in the 3rd row. I believe the 2016 Pilot is based on the MDX. We really liked it, but it barely fits in our garage. You can get it with 7 seats instead of 8 which gives you captain's chairs in the 2nd row.

You won't get easier than a minivan for loading, though. :) I want one but we need higher ground clearance for a very steep driveway.
Posted via Mobile Device

rosey2007

I'm not sure when they changed it, but somewhere along the line they made it impossible to get 3 in and installed correctly. There's enough space side to side, but the middle seat is so narrow that placing a seat there bumps out the outboard seats forcefully and doesn't give a clean installation. It's actually quite infuriating!
Posted via Mobile Device

You might be right about the middle seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC