What are my chances of getting 3 across in the third row of a 2013 Yukon XL?

momtoo3

I don't mind buying new seats if I have to but would like to avoid it if possible.

Currents seats:
2 Nexts
CA 65
Grow&Go
MA70 (dd's used rf but would like to keep in 2nd row if possible)
Performance booster
Vivo (expires late this year)

The second row is a bench with the 60/40 flip. Ds2 used a backless Amp there for ease of accessing the 3rd row.

I would definitely need to keep that there or switch him to the incognito.
I will have 2 RF, 1 that could RF a little longer in the Next or flip FF and one that I would like FF harnessed but his mom has him in a backless booster so I would consider booster training him in a hbb. I will also most likely have another toddler in the fall so need the option to put another seat in somewhere. I know putting a RF seat in the 3rd row will be a PITA to load. No matter what the 3rd row will be a pain and I will have to uninstall my daycare kids seats every weekend to get my kids in. Our current set up is 2nd row drivers side RF MA70, middle Performance booster (no headrest there, pass side Amp and then ds1 in the 3rd row. Dh wants me to take the Yukon so he can get a F250 SD or similar. My van is an 03 caravan that I want to replace with another van. I think we should trade both in but don't know that it is possible right now. Either way we would have 2 payments but the Yukon is halfway done with payments. I'm trying to make him happy without hating him in the end over this

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ADS

MamaChirpy

I think I may be able to help you with the Yukon... It will be later on tonight before I can post. [emoji16][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I am dying to know whether the NEXT fits RF in the 3rd row. So be sure to keep us posted!
I think there's a remote chance that two RF NEXTs and a FF CA65 *might* work.

The only seat I've successfully rear faced in my 3rd row has been the Boulevard CT. And in order to fit it outboard (MY 2000 Suburban) I have to remove the head rest in the 2nd row seat in front of it.

I can find seats that fit with the funky 3rd row seat belts, and seats that fit in the extremely limited space, but finding both in the same seat is a real challenge. If the NEXT is one of those unicorn seats then that will be awesome.

momtoo3

I know I can get the Next rf in the 3rd row of my 03 caravan (SWB not grand caravan.) it was a PITA to buckle the back arching toddler into it though and that was with access from the opening next to the 2nd row bench or from over the bench. I just can't imagine doing it in the Yukon. There will be days I need to load and unload 2-4 times a day.

momtoo3

Okay so first question...is the TT on the back of the driver's side 3rd row seat for the middle or driver's side seat?
1542577db44e29150324e44fa2cf498f.jpg
dcddd033987055da4f2978f720a4a2a9.jpg
b15b2558378845239bf4139ed181d90d.jpg

If it can be used drivers side I can fit the CA65 ff with 2 RF Nexts middle and passenger side. Barely but I'm pretty sure I can get them independently tight while killing my hands lol. I got them all in there but didn't check for independently tight. None of the seat belts in the 3rd row lock so I would need locking clips which would actually make it easier because I could install each independently and know when I got them all in they were good since the seatbelts won't move. The set up would be awful for trying to buckle the CA65 but can be done. I'm pretty sure dh is not winning the battle to keep the Yukon.

As for the Next working RF in the 3rd row it does in all three spots...either side should probably have the 2nd row headrest removed as in a super upright position it barely touches it. Any more upright and they would be perpendicular. The middle or with a headrest removed make it better. Lots of various pictures.

de0c564f510bb8b4d21eb281d1ede180.jpg
59bf6dc1bbce6cd8c4f1dbcca7db7ec5.jpg
55b343a4e6815e21a68cd4517b1b52c5.jpg
fa459f9f371cc36273c5d45354f6a559.jpg
410bc5807186cfa37dd52e522c5df9e2.jpg
faef7c85f781541e0434ec345daa18bc.jpg
3fefc3f597d9d22f6953a96df78ca1ec.jpg
ea08c68f706a1c852e4d33d186291f90.jpg
2aa491c34d90851d06f9ee2302054326.jpg
7c89147a5fd8e630f1d91b5ed57170f2.jpg
6d7502d48c4c887b933badf3547fb592.jpg
854b43f98101e60663cb8b198168c012.jpg
fb76a607eb24fd19274cc558aa7a6153.jpg

MamaChirpy

Hey Mama!

I have a 2008 Suburban and have spent the better part of a year working on a doable 3-across!!! LOL

First off: are you sure your seat belts don't lock? That is really strange that a 2013 Vehicle wouldn't have locking belts.

Second: That tether hook in many Subs can be used for both driver side and middle seating positions but check your manual to be sure.

Third: are your headrests adjustable? If so, that tether needs to be routed under the headrest. [emoji16][emoji1303]

I am not familiar with what the "CA65" is. But I think a high back between the Nexts would give you a tiny bit more room if the child was able to buckle the belt. I am trying to read back through what age kids you will have...

Here is a pic of the 3-across that worked for me. I have Captain's chairs in the middle, not a bench, though.

From Driver's side:
Radian RXT
RF Next
Britax Parkway

7507a27ef3b3fa69698c043941c0205e.jpg
7e1ddcabf491434b750344e02c7e5f5c.jpg

In the second pic you can see if you were to put a booster in the middle, the child could buckle pretty easily.

MamaChirpy

It just hit me... CA65 is "Complete Air 65." Duh. Sorry!

I'm still not familiar with the seat, how wide is it?

momtoo3

It just hit me... CA65 is "Complete Air 65." Duh. Sorry!

I'm still not familiar with the seat, how wide is it?

It's not very wide...18-18.5 inches maybe. It was a very tight squeeze with the 2 Nexts.

I would rather use it over a booster. The little guy I watch just turned 4 in march and has major impulse issues among other undiagnosed things. His mom has him in a nbb and he doesn't sit properly at all. I would consider booster training him in a hbb of I had too but would rather not.

The CA65 fit on the driver's side but not not in the middle between the two Nexts. Plus I don't want to have to remove the headrest on the 2nd row drivers side because I rely on the mirror there to see my daughter in the second row. There is no way for me to load a rf kid on the driver's side in the 3rd row anyways even if it did work that way.

As for the seat belts locking, I pulled them all the way out and none lock in the 3rd row. I thought they may have locking latch plates but I pulled them tight and then could wiggle the seat loose very easily.

MamaChirpy

It's not very wide...18-18.5 inches maybe. It was a very tight squeeze with the 2 Nexts.

I would rather use it over a booster. The little guy I watch just turned 4 in march and has major impulse issues among other undiagnosed things. His mom has him in a nbb and he doesn't sit properly at all. I would consider booster training him in a hbb of I had too but would rather not.

The CA65 fit on the driver's side but not not in the middle between the two Nexts. Plus I don't want to have to remove the headrest on the 2nd row drivers side because I rely on the mirror there to see my daughter in the second row. There is no way for me to load a rf kid on the driver's side in the 3rd row anyways even if it did work that way.

Oh ok, gotcha.

So what are the other kids in this scenario? I know you have two rear facers in back plus the 4 year old. (I didn't realize he was only 4, thus the HBB rec)
One rear facer in the 2nd row plus your son in a NBB. Who is in the middle of the second row?

Also, why do you have to take out daycare seats on weekends? You have older kids?

momtoo3

current set up from passenger side to driver's side
3rd row ds1(almost 16) passenger side seat belt
2nd row ds1 (almost 11) Amp nbb/ds3 (7.5) performance booster/ dd (22 mo) rf MA70.

need seats for a 9 mo old, another 22 mo old and a 4 yr old. The performance booster is a pain to remove the latch from so it is best to stay in. The 2nd row passenger seat needs to stay with the backless booster as it is the seat that flips to access the 3rd row. We generally need the space of the driver's side 3rd row flipped up on the weekends so I would have to remove all three car seats every weekend.

I would also have the potential to need another seat for a toddler/preschooler that would go where the performance booster is in the fall.

MamaChirpy

As for the seat belts locking, I pulled them all the way out and none lock in the 3rd row. I thought they may have locking latch plates but I pulled them tight and then could wiggle the seat loose very easily.

Your manual should tell you how the belts lock.

MamaChirpy

current set up from passenger side to driver's side
3rd row ds1(almost 16) passenger side seat belt
2nd row ds1 (almost 11) Amp nbb/ds3 (7.5) performance booster/ dd (22 mo) rf MA70.

need seats for a 9 mo old, another 22 mo old and a 4 yr old. The performance booster is a pain to remove the latch from so it is best to stay in. The 2nd row passenger seat needs to stay with the backless booster as it is the seat that flips to access the 3rd row. We generally need the space of the driver's side 3rd row flipped up on the weekends so I would have to remove all three car seats every weekend.

I would also have the potential to need another seat for a toddler/preschooler that would go where the performance booster is in the fall.

Ok I think I have finally have the picture!

Have you considered a 12 passenger van? [emoji23] Just kidding!

Ok I have 2 recommendations. Have you considered a Harmony Defender? It is a narrow combination seat with a no rethread harness. It is about 17-17.5 inches wide which would give a little more room in the back. It could also be used easily by multiple kids. (A very similar seat is the Graco Tranzitions. I do not recommend it for your specific vehicle because it will not install properly on the back bench.) I'm almost sure a Radian would work very well FF between the two Nexts. They are pricey but have been worth it in my situation. Amazon had them on sale recently (might still be) and Cotton Babies also has them on sale right now. You can use a coupon and order from Babies R Us. The Diono website has 30% off periodically so I would keep a check on that. The Radian is heavy but installs easily in my Suburban. It also fits well beside a Next.

You could try the CA65 in the middle of the second row if you have that need in the Fall.

Otherwise, I would try a Radian in the back or maybe a Harmony Defender. Either of those should work in the second row also should the need arise.

I hope at least some of this helps! [emoji16]

mom of six

In my 2009 Suburban the 3rd row belts have locking latch plates which is different than the 2nd row which lock at the retractor. Makes for an easier install in the 3rd row.

Good luck on the three across, especially rear facing. I tried the Next back there and was not impressed with the fit. Removing head rests would improve the fit but I have kids that need the head rests in the second row so that was not an option for me.

MamaChirpy

I can't find the manual...dh cleared the glove box of junk and it disappeared.

Ok I found the 2014 manual and a link for the 2013. The 2013 link is broken. Go to the GM website though and plunder around. There is most likely a different link. I just Googled it and several sites popped up.

I was also going to suggest checking the latch plates again. They may be locking plates. Or the child restraint mechanism may only be activated by pulling the belt out slowly.

momtoo3

Ok I think I have finally have the picture!

Have you considered a 12 passenger van? [emoji23] Just kidding!

Ok I have 2 recommendations. Have you considered a Harmony Defender? It is a narrow combination seat with a no rethread harness. It is about 17-17.5 inches wide which would give a little more room in the back. It could also be used easily by multiple kids. (A very similar seat is the Graco Tranzitions. I do not recommend it for your specific vehicle because it will not install properly on the back bench.) I'm almost sure a Radian would work very well FF between the two Nexts. They are pricey but have been worth it in my situation. Amazon had them on sale recently (might still be) and Cotton Babies also has them on sale right now. You can use a coupon and order from Babies R Us. The Diono website has 30% off periodically so I would keep a check on that. The Radian is heavy but installs easily in my Suburban. It also fits well beside a Next.

You could try the CA65 in the middle of the second row if you have that need in the Fall.

Otherwise, I would try a Radian in the back or maybe a Harmony Defender. Either of those should work in the second row also should the need arise.

I hope at least some of this helps! [emoji16]

Thanks!
We have had a radian in the past and I am not against a plum rxt [emoji171] lol. I just don't feel like this is a realistic concept short of an emergency. Loading the 3rd row will take at least 10 minutes and I would have kids climbing into the cargo area while I'm working on the first one. I could load 1 at a time at home but not at schools/ classes and such. I will have days that I leave at 8 to drop off at school and have to park and take everyone out to walk 1 kid up, load back up, either waste 45 minutes or go home then leave again to drop my daughter off at her 2 yr old class, load up after dropping off and pick her up again an hour later and load them up again. I used to wait there when my boys were in the program but they took the playground out and the 4 year old is awful in public. Then do preschool drop off for the 4 yr old after lunch which again involves unloading and reloading. That is loading 7-8 times in one day twice a week and 5-6 times 5 days a week. In my van I could throw them all in and work more efficiently. There isn't space for that in the Yukon lol.

I totally want a 12 passenger van. I would want one with headrests though as I have at least 3 who either require a headrest or will need one soon and they are out of my budget.

After typing it all out I'm 99% sure I'm nuts to take the Yukon from dh. I need my van lol.

MamaChirpy

Thanks!
We have had a radian in the past and I am not against a plum rxt [emoji171] lol. I just don't feel like this is a realistic concept short of an emergency. Loading the 3rd row will take at least 10 minutes and I would have kids climbing into the cargo area while I'm working on the first one. I could load 1 at a time at home but not at schools/ classes and such. I will have days that I leave at 8 to drop off at school and have to park and take everyone out to walk 1 kid up, load back up, either waste 45 minutes or go home then leave again to drop my daughter off at her 2 yr old class, load up after dropping off and pick her up again an hour later and load them up again. I used to wait there when my boys were in the program but they took the playground out and the 4 year old is awful in public. Then do preschool drop off for the 4 yr old after lunch which again involves unloading and reloading. That is loading 7-8 times in one day twice a week and 5-6 times 5 days a week. In my van I could throw them all in and work more efficiently. There isn't space for that in the Yukon lol.

I totally want a 12 passenger van. I would want one with headrests though as I have at least 3 who either require a headrest or will need one soon and they are out of my budget.

After typing it all out I'm 99% sure I'm nuts to take the Yukon from dh. I need my van lol.

[emoji23]

Yes in this specific situation I would have to agree with you. You definitely need the van for all the loading and unloading craziness. [emoji12]

You could open your own "preschool." Just stay home and do early learning activities! [emoji16]

Good luck Mama! I hope you find a workable solution for you and Hubby both.

Dillipop

Make sure you keep track of all those miles- that is going to be a huge deduction on your taxes!

I drive my niece to and from private kindergarten and my kid to preschool and I find that too busy. I can't imagine spending that much time in the car. Could the one kiddo switch to a morning program to allow naps for the others and make it easier for you transporting?

Audiobooks have been my friend this year. I have listened to so many. I fly through them since I'm in the car for 1.5-2 hours daily doing drop off and pick up. I choose kid friendly but interesting to an adult books to listen to. We flying through Percy Jackson right now.

And taking 4 kids in and out daily, as I've been doing, you couldn't pay me enough to switch from my van to an SUV. The van is so much more convenient than any SUV's I've been in contact with recently.

momtoo3

Make sure you keep track of all those miles- that is going to be a huge deduction on your taxes!

I drive my niece to and from private kindergarten and my kid to preschool and I find that too busy. I can't imagine spending that much time in the car. Could the one kiddo switch to a morning program to allow naps for the others and make it easier for you transporting?

Audiobooks have been my friend this year. I have listened to so many. I fly through them since I'm in the car for 1.5-2 hours daily doing drop off and pick up. I choose kid friendly but interesting to an adult books to listen to. We flying through Percy Jackson right now.

And taking 4 kids in and out daily, as I've been doing, you couldn't pay me enough to switch from my van to an SUV. The van is so much more convenient than any SUV's I've been in contact with recently.

Exactly! I love my van!

It's not even much in miles. We could walk to my daughter's class when it's nice if I could manage to push two double strollers but I can't. The winter and rain is another story. The 4 yr olds mom moved him to afternoon preschool instead of mornings for next school year and messed me all up. He had bussing for the morning session but as of now they don't have it for afternoons. I heard that they may add it. Our district is doing some major rearranging. All of my driving is less than 4 miles, with most being less than 2 miles.

If anyone has opinions on what van I want it am going to start a thread in that forum.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC