Grandma can't buckle

Hazelandlucy

Between my Mom's arthritis and her lack of understanding of carseats, she often does not buckle the kids correctly. A strap will be twisted or she will forget about the crotch snap buckle and just do the chest clip. DD1 can do the chest clip, but is not strong enough for the crotch snap. I really need some help picking up/dropping off this summer as my kids are going to different summer camps and I might even leave DD1 with her while we go on some overnight trips.

Should I focus on teaching DD1 to buckle herself or is not having the strength common at her age? Should I just buy a booster for my Mom's car now that DD1 is 4 1/2? She is 40.5 inches, 39 lbs and would sit correctly I think.

ADS

aept

My kids could buckle themselves in at that age domain would focus on that first. IME, unbuckling can sometimes be harder. My son who will be 5 next week just recently is finally able to unbuckle either a Radian or a Frontier. I had to provide a motivational "incentive" for him learning how to do it himself. (Promise of a lollipop!)

I would see if she can learn to buckle (and if your mom can't unbuckle well, that too) within a week. If she truly cannot then shop for a high back booster. (My boys rode in boosters occasionally from age 4.5 on in secondary cars but they have all been 45lbs or so by then.) Just know your mom will probably have reach/bend to buckle that for her - because of where the buckle is located it's hard for kids to reach sometimes. But at least it's just one buckle and is larger which should help with arthritic hands.

Mary_Ann

Between my Mom's arthritis and her lack of understanding of carseats, she often does not buckle the kids correctly. A strap will be twisted or she will forget about the crotch snap buckle and just do the chest clip. DD1 can do the chest clip, but is not strong enough for the crotch snap. I really need some help picking up/dropping off this summer as my kids are going to different summer camps and I might even leave DD1 with her while we go on some overnight trips.

Should I focus on teaching DD1 to buckle herself or is not having the strength common at her age? Should I just buy a booster for my Mom's car now that DD1 is 4 1/2? She is 40.5 inches, 39 lbs and would sit correctly I think.

I switched my then 4 yo (40", 40lb) in a Britax Parkway SG (the SG clip made me feel better) in my MIL's car after she made some bad mistakes with the harness seat (e.g. putting DD in the seat with her winter coat and pants, being unable to buckle the harness because of thickness, thinking that buckling the seatbelt over her would be a great idea!!!). DD did great and I taught her the important rules to remember about how the seatbelt should fit (all the seatbelt under the armrests) and how she should behave.

She's now 7.5 yo and is still harnessed in my car, for 3 across purpose. She doesn't mind in what she sits.

I definitely believe a hbb booster correctly used is safer than a half-buckled 5 points for a 4yo, 40lbs neurotypical child.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In my experience different seats are easier or harder to buckle. If you have alternate seats you might try them in those.

rachelandtyke

You could also look into the buckle bopper for help with unbuckling. I have often thought of getting one for myself, but I usually have big kids with me when I am out with DD2, so they can undo the buckle when I can't.

AllieK

I was also pondering the booster thing with my DS (January 2012 baby) but I just wasn't fully comfortable with it, despite him being very large for his age. With your DD being under 40lbs I wouldn't give it too much thought for right now, in 6 months, maybe.

Can you work with your DD to teach her how to buckle properly? We've been working with DS on this a lot in the last month and he can now buckle the crotch buckle if someone holds the female end for him. He also knows the straps cannot be twisted and will tell you if he sees that they are.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC