Question Graco classic connect 30

brelza

I have this seat for my son. I LOATHE it because with it installed properly, when he falls asleep his neck and head end up all twisted. I've tried using the insert that came with it, and I've tried without the insert completely and it does the same thing. Is there any solution I can do that will be safe?

Attachments

• IMG_8692[1].jpg
    IMG_8692[1].jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8691[1].jpg
    IMG_8691[1].jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 36
ADS

aeormsby

The grace seats usually have a range of acceptable recline. See if you can get it more reclined and still have it all in the green, so the indicator is almost in the red for too much recline.

The along with getting the straps tighter if the insert that came with the seat is a body support, or use some tightly rolled receiving blankets along side his body to keep him from slouching as much may help. The head tilting to the side like in your photo isn't a safety issue, the body twisting that much makes it look like the straps aren't staying placed correctly.

brelza

You might be able to recline it more by pushing more towards the head of the base rather than towards the feet. It does look like there is some slack between the chest clip and crotch buckle as well. This blog post has pictures showing safe head positions for newborns http://thecarseatlady.com/newbornheadposition/

Thanks..yeah I guess he gets into the ear to shoulder position like stated on the website. It's not that he goes chin to chest but he was born with a mild airway defect so when he gets into that position he often has some difficulty breathing. I can tell because I can hear a rattley sound which is what he does when he's having some difficulty.

I did try getting the base towards the head down more but it wont work and the base at his feet is fully extended. I tried just lifting it to see if he would still be in the green but hes not then :/

brelza

The grace seats usually have a range of acceptable recline. See if you can get it more reclined and still have it all in the green, so the indicator is almost in the red for too much recline.

The along with getting the straps tighter if the insert that came with the seat is a body support, or use some tightly rolled receiving blankets along side his body to keep him from slouching as much may help. The head tilting to the side like in your photo isn't a safety issue, the body twisting that much makes it look like the straps aren't staying placed correctly.

the insert is just a little head rest pillow type thing but it doesn't stay put at all. It supposedly attaches at the straps but isn't at all supportive on the rest of the body. It's like this one http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/16450207?wid=410&hei=410 but it's different colors. I had it in but it didn't seem to help and it made it harder for me to get the straps right.

The reason I'm trying to "fix" his head tilt is that he was born with a mild airway birth defect. When his body or his head is in certain positions he has some difficulty breathing. I can always tell when his head gets to the ear/shoulder position because I can hear him wheeze/sound congested. When we have someone with in the car I have them tilt his head back up and then he stops his noisy breathing.

Brianna

Tightly rolled receiving blankets on either side of his head will prevent his head from falling ear to shoulder. The link unthread shows correct positioning for using blankets.

brelza

Tightly rolled receiving blankets on either side of his head will prevent his head from falling ear to shoulder. The link unthread shows correct positioning for using blankets.

I'm going to try to get a better strap fit and then use the receiving blankets if all else fails.

thanks! :)

Cnidaria

Would you like some help getting connected with a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician for in-person help? I think it could really be useful.

brelza

Would you like some help getting connected with a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician for in-person help? I think it could really be useful.

I did look up a few locals. Going to send a few emails out to see if I can get a response from one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC