Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    254

    Graco classic connect 30

    I have this seat for my son. I LOATHE it because with it installed properly, when he falls asleep his neck and head end up all twisted. I've tried using the insert that came with it, and I've tried without the insert completely and it does the same thing. Is there any solution I can do that will be safe?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Heather Mom to k-19 ;b-18 yr;r-17yrs;e-14yrs -seatbelts;

    s-9yrs 55" 61lb Evenflo BK booster;D3yr 40" 32lb ff evenflo sureride in 2011 Sienna

  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
    Join Date
    April, 2001
    Posts
    Many
     
     

  3. #2
    CPS Fanatic Brianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,496
    You might be able to recline it more by pushing more towards the head of the base rather than towards the feet. It does look like there is some slack between the chest clip and crotch buckle as well. This blog post has pictures showing safe head positions for newborns http://thecarseatlady.com/newbornheadposition/

    The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

  4. Thank You from:


  5. #3
    Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,615
    The grace seats usually have a range of acceptable recline. See if you can get it more reclined and still have it all in the green, so the indicator is almost in the red for too much recline.

    The along with getting the straps tighter if the insert that came with the seat is a body support, or use some tightly rolled receiving blankets along side his body to keep him from slouching as much may help. The head tilting to the side like in your photo isn't a safety issue, the body twisting that much makes it look like the straps aren't staying placed correctly.
    Ann

    DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

  6. #4
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    254

    Re: Graco classic connect 30

    Quote Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
    You might be able to recline it more by pushing more towards the head of the base rather than towards the feet. It does look like there is some slack between the chest clip and crotch buckle as well. This blog post has pictures showing safe head positions for newborns http://thecarseatlady.com/newbornheadposition/
    Thanks..yeah I guess he gets into the ear to shoulder position like stated on the website. It's not that he goes chin to chest but he was born with a mild airway defect so when he gets into that position he often has some difficulty breathing. I can tell because I can hear a rattley sound which is what he does when he's having some difficulty.

    I did try getting the base towards the head down more but it wont work and the base at his feet is fully extended. I tried just lifting it to see if he would still be in the green but hes not then :/
    Heather Mom to k-19 ;b-18 yr;r-17yrs;e-14yrs -seatbelts;

    s-9yrs 55" 61lb Evenflo BK booster;D3yr 40" 32lb ff evenflo sureride in 2011 Sienna

  7. #5
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    254

    Re: Graco classic connect 30

    Quote Originally Posted by aeormsby View Post
    The grace seats usually have a range of acceptable recline. See if you can get it more reclined and still have it all in the green, so the indicator is almost in the red for too much recline.

    The along with getting the straps tighter if the insert that came with the seat is a body support, or use some tightly rolled receiving blankets along side his body to keep him from slouching as much may help. The head tilting to the side like in your photo isn't a safety issue, the body twisting that much makes it look like the straps aren't staying placed correctly.
    the insert is just a little head rest pillow type thing but it doesn't stay put at all. It supposedly attaches at the straps but isn't at all supportive on the rest of the body. It's like this one http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/imag...id=410&hei=410 but it's different colors. I had it in but it didn't seem to help and it made it harder for me to get the straps right.

    The reason I'm trying to "fix" his head tilt is that he was born with a mild airway birth defect. When his body or his head is in certain positions he has some difficulty breathing. I can always tell when his head gets to the ear/shoulder position because I can hear him wheeze/sound congested. When we have someone with in the car I have them tilt his head back up and then he stops his noisy breathing.
    Heather Mom to k-19 ;b-18 yr;r-17yrs;e-14yrs -seatbelts;

    s-9yrs 55" 61lb Evenflo BK booster;D3yr 40" 32lb ff evenflo sureride in 2011 Sienna

  8. #6
    CPS Fanatic Brianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,496
    Tightly rolled receiving blankets on either side of his head will prevent his head from falling ear to shoulder. The link unthread shows correct positioning for using blankets.

    The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

  9. Thank You from:


  10. #7
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    254

    Re: Graco classic connect 30

    Quote Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
    Tightly rolled receiving blankets on either side of his head will prevent his head from falling ear to shoulder. The link unthread shows correct positioning for using blankets.
    I'm going to try to get a better strap fit and then use the receiving blankets if all else fails.

    thanks!
    Heather Mom to k-19 ;b-18 yr;r-17yrs;e-14yrs -seatbelts;

    s-9yrs 55" 61lb Evenflo BK booster;D3yr 40" 32lb ff evenflo sureride in 2011 Sienna

  11. #8
    Carseat Crazy Cnidaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    762
    Would you like some help getting connected with a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician for in-person help? I think it could really be useful.
    Mom to tall guy, 6, in a Frontier 90 and Graco Affix
    - - - and small guy (not so small any more!), 3, RFing in a Clek Fllo and Cosco Scenera NEXT

  12. #9
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    254

    Re: Graco classic connect 30

    Quote Originally Posted by Cnidaria View Post
    Would you like some help getting connected with a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician for in-person help? I think it could really be useful.
    I did look up a few locals. Going to send a few emails out to see if I can get a response from one.
    Heather Mom to k-19 ;b-18 yr;r-17yrs;e-14yrs -seatbelts;

    s-9yrs 55" 61lb Evenflo BK booster;D3yr 40" 32lb ff evenflo sureride in 2011 Sienna

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •