NBB with low weight limit

DMS721

My DS is 5 yrs old and 33 lbs, not sure of his exact height, but he was in the 50th% at his doctor visit a couple of months ago. He rides in a Frontier, and we have no plans of moving him out of that until it expires in a few years. His preschool is taking all of the graduating students on a field trip to Chuck E Cheese this week for a party, and we need to provide a booster seat for him. Is there a no back booster that would fit for his weight??? Most of the kids I see being dropped off are in NBB, and some in no seats at all :eek::eek: I don't really want to invest in a high back booster, as he won't be using one anytime soon. This would be a one time thing, 5 miles on city streets only. I can not take off from work, as I am a teacher and it is our last day of school, and I MUST be there. In the past I have taken the day off from work and driven him myself to all field trips, but this is not an option this time. We have no family near by that could help and my DH is also a teacher, so he can't take off either. My DS would be absolutely crushed if he was the only one in his class who couldn't go to this party.

Any suggestions???

ADS

Kobain's Mommy

At that weight and sounding like never being in a booster, I don't think I'd do a nbb. I'd either send the harnessed seat, installing it at drop off.

DMS721

At that weight and sounding like never being in a booster, I don't think I'd do a nbb. I'd either send the harnessed seat, installing it at drop off.

The van is not there in the morning. The owners run two daycare centers, and they keep the vans at the second location as there is more parking there.

I suppose the other option could be he could use my older son's HBB, and then get a cheap NBB for my older DS to use for the day. He has a Recaro HBB, and that should be fairly easy for the staff to put in the van???

jaemom

The van is not there in the morning. The owners run two daycare centers, and they keep the vans at the second location as there is more parking there. I suppose the other option could be he could use my older son's HBB, and then get a cheap NBB for my older DS to use for the day. He has a Recaro HBB, and that should be fairly easy for the staff to put in the van???

That sounds like a good plan. The you have the spare nbb for other occasions for your older son, if needed.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I like the HBB plan better. If you do want to try the backless, he meets the minimums for a Harmony (the cheap one from Walmart.)

I would probably do a test run or two, make sure he can buckle himself, and be emphatic with the daycare that he MUST be in a seating position with both lap-and-shoulder belt and headrest.

DMS721

I will send the HBB Recaro with my younger DS. The staff does help buckle the kids in, but I will practice with younger DS. Depending on the timing of the trip, I will most likely be able to go pick him up at the end of the trip, so he will just be riding with them on the way there.

I've never looked at NBB. Older DS is 7, around 52 pounds, average height, and has been sitting in a HBB for a year, so he knows the rules of how to sit. What booster should I look at for him? I'd prefer something I can buy at Target, but I could do Amazon prime if need be. He is not picky about colors as long as it isn't pink or purple. lol

DMS721

I like the HBB plan better. If you do want to try the backless, he meets the minimums for a Harmony (the cheap one from Walmart.)

I would probably do a test run or two, make sure he can buckle himself, and be emphatic with the daycare that he MUST be in a seating position with both lap-and-shoulder belt and headrest.

The center has 3 Honda Oddesys. I've ridden in them before and they have two captain chairs and then the bench seat in the 3rd row. I think all those seats are ok???

Last edited:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The center has 3 Honda Oddesys. I've ridden in them before and they have two captain chairs and then the bench seat in the 3rd row. I think all those seats are ok???

Oh, yes. As long as try are recent, you are golden. If they are older, the 3rd row center seat has a lap-only belt (locking latchplate) with detachable shoulder belt, those are a little tricky - but they're probably like 15 years old.

Lots of centers drive 12 or 15 passenger vans, which worry me a lot more.

DMS721

Oh, yes. As long as try are recent, you are golden. If they are older, the 3rd row center seat has a lap-only belt (locking latchplate) with detachable shoulder belt, those are a little tricky - but they're probably like 15 years old.

Lots of centers drive 12 or 15 passenger vans, which worry me a lot more.

I'm trying to remember when they got these vans. Maybe 4 years ago?? We've been at this center for 7 years now, and they were purchased to replace older vans at some point.

They use the mini vans for after school pick ups and preschool field trips. They rent school buses for winter/spring/summer camp field trips (Kinders-5th grade). They do not have any of the large passenger vans.

I will go to Walmart on Monday and see if I can find that booster. Thanks for the link!

Angela814

Another vote for the Harmony youth nbb at Walmart. It's the only nbb we've used that has a shoulder belt strap that actually works well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lemonade

I agree- this is one of the better backless boosters and would work with either child at a bargain price. http://fave.co/1Pulzpg

This is my vote as well. We have two for extras.

I would suggest suggesting a captains chair as they may have a more difficult time fitting the high back in the third row. Both getting it back there, it possibly being wider than what is sent by others for nbbs and making sure he's buckled properly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC