How do you handle carpooling with older kids (9+)?

Angela814

We're going to be driving some of my 10 year old's friends to the roller skating rink for her birthday party. Last year, when she turned 9, she was still in a booster, so I just put all 3 girls in a booster. They figured out who would sit in which booster based on their heights. :) This year, she doesn't need a booster in the vehicle we'll be driving, but she's the tallest of her friends at 4'11". How do you handle deciding who needs to use a booster? I can guarantee all but maybe one girl is booster free in her parents' vehicles and not one parent has asked about boosters. Do you check each child for belt fit? Just put anyone under 4'9" in a booster? I have 6 nbbs and 7 girls including my daughter.

ADS

christineka

I have the opposite situation, where my kids are in boosters much longer than I make their peers sit in one in my vehicle. I think I'd line the kids up to a 4'9" ruler and anyone shorter sits in a booster. I usually just look at the kid and figure if they are around 4'9" I won't bother. They all quit riding in boosters by their 8th birthday anyway.

aeormsby

It's tough, does your vehicle have spots that kids fit in better? My DD is 10.5 and some of her friends haven't used boosters in years, some have no problem using one if I say to. But our 3rd row has 2 spots that are easy for even smaller kids to 5-step so I put other kids there and DD knows she needs the booster in other spots. I tried DD in the 2nd row last weekend and she pretty much 5-steps there also so I'd be OK with it in a pinch if needed (and she's not 4'-9" yet, more like 4'-6")

If you have spots in your vehicle that you know are worse I'd just put boosters there and tell the kids the seatbelts in those seats don't fit kids right and they need the boosters.

bnsnyde

My son is now 9 so I am in the same boat.
He is 4'11", too. He uses an Incognito.
His friends are mostly shorter but some are taller and do not need boosters.

My van is full with 6 seats, so we cannot carpool. I guess I'd put all them in boosters if they were not 4'9".

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My son is 10 (close to 11 now) and still in an NBB. I do the 5 step test before anyone else gets in the car. If they don't pass, they get a booster. I inform parents of kids who've never been in my car of this beforehand. It's non-negotiable. It's honestly never been an issue.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC