Question Expecting Baby #5, would a Dodge Grand Caravan work?

kathysr98

I have a Flex and had a Freestyle before it. My first suggestion is to put the infant seat, baseless, in the second center, booster second passenger, younger FF second driver, older RF third driver, older FF third passenger.

Second suggestion is RF Radian second center, FF second driver, booster second passenger, infant seat third driver, and FF third passenger.

Third suggestion is swap the booster & infant seat in the second suggestion & do a baseless install.

Forth suggestion is to look for an infant seat with a very narrow base and try it in the first setup.

I hope one of those works for you & congrats on the new addition!

ADS

Keeanh

If it were me, I would try to make the Flex work, and give it at least a few months to see if I really couldn't stand it before replacing.

Nuna Pipa base is super narrow. Maybe that on the middle seat, booster on seat that you want to fold.

I personally always do baseless installs, but I know a lot of people dislike doing it that way. But that plus booster would give you two seats that are easy to free up for access.

I was looking at a Kia Sedona a while back and liked it. You could likely get a nice used one for around $10,000.

kathysr98

Also, if you're going to do a baseless install, you may want to use a locking clip since that tends to make it super easy to know you have it tight each time.

CarolynLeigh

You guys are amazing! I am going to seriously look into making the Flex work for us. I've never even heard of installing an infant seat without a base... how does that work!? Do you need a specific brand or can you do it with any infant seat?

CarolynLeigh

I have a Flex and had a Freestyle before it. My first suggestion is to put the infant seat, baseless, in the second center, booster second passenger, younger FF second driver, older RF third driver, older FF third passenger.
Just wondering if you have any thoughts on how to get to the older RF third driver to buckle and tighten if they are way back in the corner? She will only be 17 months old when the baby comes so not very independent yet!

Keeanh

Just wondering if you have any thoughts on how to get to the older RF third driver to buckle and tighten if they are way back in the corner? She will only be 17 months old when the baby comes so not very independent yet!

Load through the hatch. You can take out the headrest for better access over the back seat.

kathysr98

Load through the hatch or have the older kid back there buckle her and you just check behind him/her.

Most infant seats can be installed baseless. They have slots on the top edges of the seat that the belt goes through. The manual will have instructions for the installation.

kathysr98

You guys are amazing! I am going to seriously look into making the Flex work for us. I've never even heard of installing an infant seat without a base... how does that work!? Do you need a specific brand or can you do it with any infant seat?

Since you're planning for a larger family, making the current car work will help you save and prepare for buying a big van in the future. A Sprinter or Transit will be a necessity if you have seven or more children, and may be a good choice for more room once all these little guys get big.

CarolynLeigh

Second suggestion is RF Radian second center, FF second driver, booster second passenger, infant seat third driver, and FF third passenger.

Third suggestion is swap the booster & infant seat in the second suggestion & do a baseless install.

Forth suggestion is to look for an infant seat with a very narrow base and try it in the first setup.

I hope one of those works for you & congrats on the new addition!
Does anybody have a recommendation for an infant seat with a very narrow base that we could try in the middle seat of the second row in our Ford Flex? We live in Canada and our options are probably limited but it would be great if we could find something narrow enough that we can still flip the passenger side seat in the second row to get to the back.

lgenne

It also has to be narrow enough that the seat itself can puzzle next to the FF seat next to it, right? Do you know what that seat will be?

A Chicco Keyfit is probably worth trying, as is a Graco Click Connect 35. And the Nuna Pipa.

CarolynLeigh

It also has to be narrow enough that the seat itself can puzzle next to the FF seat next to it, right? Do you know what that seat will be?

A Chicco Keyfit is probably worth trying, as is a Graco Click Connect 35. And the Nuna Pipa.
The infant seat would be in the middle of the second row between a rear facing radian (or britax marathon) and a booster (which I don't own yet and am open to suggestions!).

lgenne

Ah, the Radian probably makes this easier. The handle of an infant seat will likely puzzle well with it. I doubt that a Marathon would work as well.

kathysr98

The BabyTrend Flex Loc 30 and Uppa Baby Mesa *look* like they have narrow bases in pictures, but I'm not sure if they are available in Canada. Personally, I would go to the best baby goods store you know of and try seats out. For the infant seat you'll need it to be very narrow at the foot, where it goes between the hinge covers on the seat, and reasonably narrow through the entire seat. Using the Radian next to it will buy you some flexibility in seat options.

Keeanh

The narrowest base I've seen is the Nuna Pipa. But I would check out the Snugride 30 or 35 first. Keyfit doesn't have a very narrow base.

Mary_Ann

Do you absolutely want an infant seat? The Britax and Radian puzzle beautifully when facing the same direction. I would put the newborn in the Britax, the 17 months old in the Radian RF and the 7yo in the 2nd row. A Harmony youth backless is one of the narrowest booster in Canada. It's super light and only $18 at Walmart. It puzzles well with a RF Britax. Then you have the big kids in FF seats in the back.

jjordan

Does anybody have a recommendation for an infant seat with a very narrow base that we could try in the middle seat of the second row in our Ford Flex? We live in Canada and our options are probably limited but it would be great if we could find something narrow enough that we can still flip the passenger side seat in the second row to get to the back.

Baby Jogger City Go base works for this in my 2006 Ford Freestyle. It is basically a Graco Click Connect 35LX with a few small changes, so maybe try a Graco Click Connect if you don't have Baby Jogger City Go in Canada yet.

CarolynLeigh

I've been able to find a combination that works (sort of). I can't find an infant seat that will allow the passenger seat in the second row to flip up and down when it is installed, BUT it will flip when just the base installed. So my plan is to just put the infant seat in last after the kids in the 3rd row are loaded.

Now... I need to buy a booster seat for my 7 year old 45lb daughter. I would like to get something as narrow as possible since we do not know what our future vehicle and car seat arrangements might look like. It also must be backless so that I can take it out easily in order to flip the second row seat up and down. Recommendations in Canada?

Mary_Ann

I've been able to find a combination that works (sort of). I can't find an infant seat that will allow the passenger seat in the second row to flip up and down when it is installed, BUT it will flip when just the base installed. So my plan is to just put the infant seat in last after the kids in the 3rd row are loaded.

Now... I need to buy a booster seat for my 7 year old 45lb daughter. I would like to get something as narrow as possible since we do not know what our future vehicle and car seat arrangements might look like. It also must be backless so that I can take it out easily in order to flip the second row seat up and down. Recommendations in Canada?

Harmony youth, 18$ at Walmart. It's narrow and provide a great belt fit.

peace_all

We are in Canada too. I eventually settled on the Honda Odyssey, and they are around the $30,000 mark brand new.

We have a Chrysler product as well in our house, and between the two the Honda has been a great buy as we have had only maintenance up until now with it (4 yrs, 85,000km). Also the front wheel drive has been good in the winter, due to the weight of the vehicle. There is plenty of room for carseats in it, as in the 8 passenger you are able to move the outboard seats wide to accommodate the wider booster seats, also there is a good amount of space between the front and middle row for rear facing seats.

The other option to look at is the Toyota Sienna, my only put-off was the AWD has no spare tire. Otherwise you should be ok with it.

I hope you have fun car shopping!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC