Replacing Seat Belts

Ninetales

My husband's uncle just gave us a 2003 Windstar, which was very generous and appreciated as my daughter has had some medical expenses and we have a new baby and needed the space.

I'm wondering about replacing the seat belts. They don't have automatic locking retractors, they lock at the buckle. Not my favorite thing, plus they seem kind of...sticky, like they don't retract easily, and some are kind of squeaky.

What are your thoughts? And if we were going to replace them, what kind of cost are we looking at?
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Getting the retractors changed to switchable would be difficult and expensive. However if the seatbelts seem stiff the fibers may be damaged. Often replacements are cheapest online, otherwise you are probably looking at several hundred each for parts plus the labor on top.

Keeanh

Locking latchplates are so much better than locking retractors.

As for replacing belts, it cost me about $250 total to have one belt replaced in my van. Whether or not it's a PITA depends on whether or not the parts are discontinued.

Ninetales

I don't know if I mean stiff as much as just, grimy? It's hard to describe. The front seats definitely don't retract back in without some help, is that something to be concerned about?

Maybe I'm just being fussy because it's old. How old do they have to get before its recommended to replace them as a precaution?

Keeanh

I believe it's 20 years. But you should be checking them routinely before then.

It's not really that old ;) My mom just came to visit in her 93 Aerostar. I keep telling her it's time to get something newer, but it's still in good shape LOL. I just retired my '00 Safari. One of the belts on that one needed help retracting the last little bit. It worked perfectly otherwise, though, so I wasn't concerned.

When you say the retractor needs help, do you mean it needs help getting the last little bit of belt back in? Or do you mean it stays slack after you lean forward to look at a stop sign? I wouldn't worry about the first. That's just the spring wearing out. But if it's staying slack when you move while driving, that could be a problem.

Are the belts sticky at all coming out? Any sign that something is malfunctioning (as opposed to a recoiling spring simply getting tired)? Does the emergency locking mechanism still work?

Kel

Can't help with the seatbelts. Just wanted to say we have a 2003 windstar that we bought brand new.. I always loved it for car seats. Good luck with it!

Ninetales

I would say it feels more like it's tired springs vs mechanical. There's more slack than I'd like at least in the passenger seat, I haven't driven it yet.

I think I'll try cleaning the belts and see if that helps at all. It's in great shape and low mileage so I'm very happy. I'll check the ELR too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC