Which SUV should I buy?

crindos77

I have been a member for quite awhile and cant get into my account so I made a new one...I have 3 kids, 14 (almost 15) son, 9 year old daughter, and turning 5 next week son. Right now I have a 2003 Explorer. Dd is riding rear driver side on a backless Parkway sgl, she is 4'8 and weighs 106. Oldest Ds (5'3 135 pounds) rides rear passenger side, and youngest Ds (43 inches 40 pounds) rides center in a Blvd. Dd is kinda big for her booster, it sticks to her butt when she gets out if its not latched but the shoulder belt still does not sit well on her. My oldest is beginning to complain about leg room and shoulder room, he barely fits between the door and Blvd. Plus its time for a newer car.

I don't want a minivan since theres only 2 years until Ds drives :( and I will have the vehicle for a good 6 or more years. I need a 3rd row because the kids like to bring friends and it needs to be a roomy 3rd row (Ds has a 6 foot tall friend who rides with us often) We have considered the Flex, Acadia, Traverse, Pilot, and Expedition.
We almost got an 09 Flex but it had tranny problems and the dealer decided to wholesale it. Coming from 9+ years with a vehicle that has had tranny problems repeatedly scares me! I am not sure I want the Expedition because of the fuel economy :rolleyes: We would be getting a 2nd row bench because I don't want to sacrifice trunk space, especially for trips. Is there any other vehicles I should consider or can anyone recommend which of these would be best? I am driving myself and Dh nuts with this decision.
Our budget is about $16000 max.

Thanks!!:)

Also thought I'd mention we have a Radian that could be used in place of the Blvd for 5 year old.

Last edited:
ADS

EmmaGrace'sMom

The Traverse/Acadia clones are roomy, but they don't have headrests in the middle seats for the second or third row...which means older kids have no head support. That was a no for me, I got a Pilot. I don't know that a 6ft person would be comfortable in the third row, except maybe the long wheel base Expedition.

crindos77

Hmm, I didn't notice the lack of headrest. The 6 ft friends family has an 08 Explorer and he does ok I guess in it. He has not complained about our 3rd row. I just want to make sure I get something with a 3rd row that fits an adult, I know a lot of them are only kid sized.

jess71903

Ambassador
We went from an Expedition to a Pilot. I loved my Expy, except for the fuel economy. I sparkly heart love my Pilot, though. I've ridden in the 3rd row (5'7") and the 2nd row slides if you need a little more space. Not sure if the previous gen did that or not. Mine is a '12.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

crindos77

We went from an Expedition to a Pilot. I loved my Expy, except for the fuel economy. I sparkly heart love my Pilot, though. I've ridden in the 3rd row (5'7") and the 2nd row slides if you need a little more space. Not sure if the previous gen did that or not. Mine is a '12.

I really do like the expedition but just cant get past the fuel economy. Its about the same as my explorer and if I am going to have a payment I want better! I do like the pilot, I would be getting at least an 09 or newer. We are not looking for anything older then 09 no matter what we end up with. I don't know what get, dont want to be stuck in something I am not happy with because we keep our vehicles for quite awhile. I am partial to Ford because of the keypad entry, I use it all the time. My kids being such different ages makes it tricky to accommodate them all.

jess71903

Ambassador
Does the 2nd row center seat in the Pilot have a headrest? Its hard to tell from pics if it has one that adjusts or not.
it does, at least in the '12.

I'm a Ford girl, too. In my adult life, I've had 2 explorers and the Expy. You can get aftermarket keypads. Had that on my 2nd Explorer.

kathysr98

I love my Flex. It has headrests all the way around, and the legroom in the second and third rows is better than the current model Explorers. I also love the keypad on the door so you never lock yourself out!

seb3244

Not sure what to recommend but the flex I have been in had inflatable seat belts and car seats are not able to be installed in that seating position.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Not sure what to recommend but the flex I have been in had inflatable seat belts and car seats are not able to be installed in that seating position.

Last I knew, the inflatable belts are an option, not standard, and only in second row outboard positions. There are some car seats and boosters that can be installed in those positions. Since the OP's kids are on the older side, she would have a lot more flexibility than someone with three small children. But it's something to keep in mind.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC