Tiny plane and rental car - 2 kids with 1 adult

U

Unregistered

I am planning a trip with a 4yo and a 1yo. We will have one flight with other family members, use a rental car at our destination, and then fly home alone (just the 2 kids and me).

The 1yo will be in an Evenflo Tribute for at least the first flight and the rental car.

The 4yo has flown without a car seat before and is at the weight that the FAA says is fine without a car seat. He needs a car seat for the rental car, but I'm not going to carry a cat seat for him when I'm alone with the kids on the second flight, which is on a tiny regional jet with just 1 seat on the left aisle and 2 seats on the right. It would be easier for him to fly without a car seat on the first flight, too, but if needed he could use a car seat just so we have a way to carry it on the plane.

Options I'm considering:
- buy Immi Go to carry on both flights and use in rental car. Is this seat kind of flimsy? Would I feel safe using it for hours of car rides on future trips? Will it fit in the overhead storage area of a tiny regional jet?
- have 4yo use a SureRide on first flight and in car, throw away Tribute (soon to be outgrown anyway) after rental car, put 1yo in SureRide on flight home. Will it fit OK on tiny plane?
- use car seat from rental car company for 4yo. I've never done this because it's not very safe, right? No way to tell if car seat has been in an accident?
- I've read about Ride Safe Vest but it looks too flimsy for 4yo and doesn't sound safer than a rental car seat to me.
- I could buy a Radian but it sounds too heavy for me to cart around airport on my own with 2 kids.

Any other options? Which sounds best?

Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC