2008 Volvo xc70 -- 3 across??

mlmoser

Hello.

We just recently bought a 2008 Volvo xc70 without testing all of our car seats (rookie move I know...I just assumed...). I would really like to find a backless booster to fit in the middle seat between two Radian 120 (one forward facing, one rear facing). I am up for changing seats around entirely if it means I can get a booster in the middle.

1. RF Radian 120 for 30lb 2 year old (latch install)
2. FF Radian 120 for 48lb, 44" tall, 4.5 year old (belt install)
3. 3rd Seat unknown, carpool of preschooler est 40lbs 5 year old

We only carpool 3 days a week so I like the ease of pulling out the booster when not in use so I can sit between the kids or set books between them to read etc. I would really like to avoid having my two kids next to each other because it eventually dissolves to kicking and crying...

I tried the Harmony booster and it won't fit (there is only about 11 inches of space). I have the Bubblebum on order. I do have a third Radian 120 that I could install but it wouldn't be nearly as "flexible" for removing...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

ADS

lgenne

Hi! The Bubblebum is definitely a good start, assuming that the 5 year old is at least 40 pounds and is good at sitting in position. Switching to a seat belt install on the rear facing seat might give you an extra inch or so, too.

If that doesn't work, a Ride Safer Travel Vest 2 is a pricey but workable solution. And if that doesn't work, we could suggest car seats for your children that would allow more buckling space.

mlmoser

Thanks lgenne!

Yes the 5 year old is over 40lbs and she can sit upright (it is a 3 mile commute so it goes pretty quick). I would be also interested in car seats that might make the ability to buckle up easier since it is going to be a challenge to do that even if the Bubblebum works!

It sounds like the RideSafe vest is a pain to get on and off and since I have to do this three times a week with her it is unlikely we would go that route.

lgenne

There isn't much that's narrower overall than a Radian, but car seats that sit up high on a narrow base can be easier to buckle next to. Good options include the Evenflo Sureride, Graco MyRide, and the Graco "clones": MySize/Size4Me/Fit4Me/Contender. Just one installed on the side that the middle seat belt buckles can make a big difference.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC