Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Canada Car seats in classic cars - Canada

I recently bought a classic car (1953 Desoto) and the back seat has no seat belts.

I am wondering if it is possible to buy a LATCH system kit in order to secure baby seats in the back seat. Or if installing lap belts is ok?

In general I would like to know how people safely (within the constraints of the original design of the car) transport children in older vehicles.

The vehicle will not be going out on the highway, mainly just to cruise around town and attend some car shows.

Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor Pixelated's Avatar

Re: Car seats in classic cars - Canada

You can not retrofit lower anchors (called UAS in Canada).

Whether you are able to safely install seat belts would depend on the vehicle, and if it was built to handle the forces put onto the attachment points by a seat belt in a crash.

If you were wanting to put in a forward-facing harnessed seat you would require a top tether anchor, and it's unlikely a car of that age would have a suitable place to install one.

A booster seat would require a lap shoulder belt.

I'm not personally comfortable transporting kids in classic vehicles, much to the dismay of my dad and husband, both of whom have classic vehicles (73 Mustang, 61 Falcon). I will ride in the Mustang in the front seat only where there were factory lap/shoulder belts (that have since been replaced with new belts), but I won't in the Falcon where there are no belts. Even around town, it's not worth the risk to me.

It may be a risk that you are comfortable with, but you'd need standard seat belt assemblies, attached to the vehicle properly and safely, and ensure that any car seat is able to be installed properly with them.
    Jen ~ Canadian CPST-IT with CPSAC

Carseat Crazy
    This company makes replacement and custom seatbelts. They may be able to give you information related to installation requirements for your vehicle. Good luck!

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com
    Last edited by kathysr98; 05-11-2016 at 11:24 PM.
    Mama to Josie (4/08, 47lbs & 49"), retriever-cat Hotrod, munchkin-cat Gizmo, and hell-cat Leggs.

Senior Community Member

All of the above.

What province are you in by the way? Provincial law might further restrict your options.

And installing aftermarket seat belts in an older car that wasn't originally designed with them is not as simple as replacing the existing belts in an old car with new ones. Even in the 60's and 70's seatbelts were attached to specific points in a car that were designed to be strong enough to take the forces imposed on them, whereas a car that never had belts likely doesn't have those points intended to securely anchor seat belts.
    Mom to Mischief 1/DD (10.5), Mischief 2/DS1 (8), Mischief 3/DS2 (6.5), and now baby 4/DS3 (21 months), already in training to be Mischief 4 soon, since he is learning from the best!

Carseat Crazy
    This article, from collector car insurance company Hagerty, discusses adding seatbelts to cars not originally equipped with them. It also discusses some of the early optional seatbelts.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...-collector-car
    Mama to Josie (4/08, 47lbs & 49"), retriever-cat Hotrod, munchkin-cat Gizmo, and hell-cat Leggs.

Unregistered

Thanks for all the great responses.

I am currently residing in Alberta