Vintage car seat quiz

ADS

Keeyamah

None of them, lol. I'm sure I rode in one (something from the late 70's as my brother was born in 80 and my mom use the same seat for both of us...)

mom of six

Back Row, L to R

Not sure, Evenflo Ultra V in leather, Centruy 200, Evenflo 7 year, Bobby Mac (up in the corner), Kantwet (later evenflo) one step, Astro seat?, Strollee 590(?), Newer strollee, GM child seat, Cosco can't remember the model

Middle row L to R
unknown 70's seat, Centruy 100, Bobby mac, Cosco something (safe shield?), Strollee, Cosco something, bobby mac, bobby mac, Gerry Guaridan, Cosco safety seat,

Front circle L to R

unknown white seat, Century 560 (in front with the blue pad), another bobby mac (in back with black pad), Evenflo joy ride (gray pad), yet another bobby mac delux

I have the original instruction sheets for over half of those car seats. (that is what I collected when I was younger).

Where is your new in box GM child seat with the blue cover? And your Kantwet or Evenflo Dyn-o-mite?

cookie123

Back Row, L to R

Not sure, Evenflo Ultra V in leather, Centruy 200, Evenflo 7 year, Bobby Mac (up in the corner), Kantwet (later evenflo) one step, Astro seat?, Strollee 590(?), Newer strollee, GM child seat, Cosco can't remember the model

Middle row L to R
unknown 70's seat, Centruy 100, Bobby mac, Strollee, Cosco something, bobby mac, bobby mac, Gerry Guaridan, Cosco safety seat,

Front circle L to R

unknown white seat, Century 560 (in front with the blue pad), another bobby mac (in back with black pad), Evenflo joy ride (gray pad), yet another bobby mac delux

I have the original instruction sheets for over half of those car seats. (that is what I collected when I was younger).

Where is your new in box GM child seat with the blue cover? And your Kantwet or Evenflo Dyn-o-mite?

Good for you! I only recognize the ones I had.:)

mom of six

I started being geeky about car seats when I was still a kid (like 8 years old). Many of those car seats were used during my teen years when my geekyness was pretty developed.

If I had more time I could give you the actual names of all the cosco seats as I have the instruction sheets for each of them. I even have a huge book of instruction sheet summaries put out by SafeKids in probably 1992 or 1993. Easily over 500 sheets of paper. But right now it is all in storage in the garage.

mom of six

OOOHHHH I just noticed the Cosco Explorer booster up in the corner by the window.

That booster that Cosco just wouldn't quit making even though all the research showed they were causing injuries....

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
OOOHHHH I just noticed the Cosco Explorer booster up in the corner by the window.

That booster that Cosco just wouldn't quit making even though all the research showed they were causing injuries....

Remember when the Grand Explorer even had LATCH?

sunflower

How many can you identify?

Wow! Where do you store them all?

Back Row, L to R

Middle row L to R
unknown 70's seat, Centruy 100, Bobby mac, Cosco something (safe shield?), Strollee, Cosco something, bobby mac, bobby mac, Gerry Guaridan, Cosco safety seat,

Front circle L to R

Pretty awesome! How/ why were you into car seats as a kid??

mom of six

Pretty awesome! How/ why were you into car seats as a kid??

Just your average obsession. It started with wanting to sit next to any kid who was in a car seat while in a car. The first car seat I remember was a GM child seat. This would have been in about 1977 or 1978. It was my friends little sister and I did what ever I could to sit by her in the car.

Around 8 years old I started collecting advertisements of car seats. My grandma, who lived in middle-of-nowhere-Utah, always had Sears, JC Penny and Montgomery Wards catalogs because their town was too small to have a real store. I poured over the baby section of the catalog looking at all the pictures. I started cutting them out and pasting them in a scrap book. I looked forward to the Sunday paper so I could look through the ads for pictures of car seats.

Anytime I went to a store that had car seats I would sneak away from my mom to go and look at them. I loved Toys R us because they had SO MANY car seats. For a while they actually sold replacement buckles and metal strap adjustment slides. I was in heaven.

As a teenager I would scour second hand stores for car seats. We didn't know as much as we know now so I would buy them, fix the vinyl cover, order replacement parts, sometimes make a fabric pad to cover the vinyl and then keep them and play with them. I would go out to my moms car and buckle them in and put my dolls (errr models) in them. Sometimes I would give them away (don't faint, I didn't know any better)

I even used to build car seats out of cardboard boxes. I had a pretty awesome one with an over head shield where the seat belt threaded through the shield.

I am still obsessed but I have not become a CPST. I did not know there was such a thing until I found this site. Interestingly, becoming a mother took me away fro that world for a while. I guess since I had my own kids and a reason to own and use car seats I did not keep up with the developing CPST world. Someday I would like to get certified.

Still obsessed. I still own more car seats than I have kids...

Last edited:

zeo2ski

Just your average obsession. It started with wanting to sit next to any kid who was in a car seat while in a car. The first car seat I remember was a GM child seat. This would have been in about 1977 or 1978. It was my friends little sister and I did what ever I could to sit by her in the car.

Around 8 years old I started collecting advertisements of car seats. My grandma, who lived in middle-of-nowhere-Utah, always had Sears, JC Penny and Montgomery Wards catalogs because their town was too small to have a real store. I poured over the baby section of the catalog looking at all the pictures. I started cutting them out and pasting them in a scrap book. I looked forward to the Sunday paper so I could look through the ads for pictures of car seats.

Anytime I went to a store that had car seats I would sneak away from my mom to go and look at them. I loved Toys R us because they had SO MANY car seats. For a while they actually sold replacement buckles and metal strap adjustment slides. I was in heaven.

As a teenager I would scour second hand stores for car seats. We didn't know as much as we know now so I would buy them, fix the vinyl cover, order replacement parts, sometimes make a fabric pad to cover the vinyl and then keep them and play with them. I would go out to my moms car and buckle them in and put my dolls (errr models) in them. Sometimes I would give them away (don't faint, I didn't know any better)

I even used to build car seats out of cardboard boxes. I had a pretty awesome one with an over head shield where the seat belt threaded through the shield.

I am still obsessed but I have not become a CPST. I did not know there was such a thing until I found this site. Interestingly, becoming a mother took me away fro that world for a while. I guess since I had my own kids and a reason to own and use car seats I did not keep up with the developing CPST world. Someday I would like to get certified
Still obsessed. I still own more car seats than I have kids...
:yeahthatlove:

Now I know I'm not the o ly weirdo, thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC