High harness weight and height?

s_kristina

My youngest is currently in a Radian that expires soon. More importantly he is hovering at 64-65lbs and is nearing the top harness height. He has developmental delays which means his mental age is around 3-4 years old. We did try him for short trips in his older brother's booster, but he is not capable of sitting as needed to be safe. Due to his height and weight versus his mental abilities I am thinking he will need a harness for a minimum of another year and very possible two years. His normal seating position is the captain's seat in the middle row of my van.

ADS

Dillipop

Britax frontier click tight- much higher harness slots than the radian and goes to 90 lbs in the harness, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cnidaria

I'm not a tech, but I third that the Britax Frontier is going to be the perfect seat for him at this time.

It sounds like he will probably be ready for a booster by the time he outgrows the Frontier, but in case he isn't, there are special needs carseats such as the Roosevelt that will allow him to stay harnessed longer if necessary. But special needs carseats are quite expensive, so you would want to start working with a special-needs trained Child Passenger Safety Technician early to determine the best seat for him and try to get it covered by insurance.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Just wanted to second what Cnidaria said. I'd definitely pick up a Frontier 90 for use now, but if he is still in need of a harness for support when he gets near the upper limits of the F90, I would ask your OT/PT about a special needs car seat. If your son is seen at any sort of clinics at your local children's hospital, they might be a good bet - ours is able to bring together OT/PT, physicians, DME providers and a CPST in order to get the ball rolling on an order. Just be aware it can take some time (months, sometimes lots of months) to get the order processed factoring in insurance denials, appeals, etc - so I'd make that determination when he begins approaching the upper limits and don't put it off until it's nearly outgrown.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC