Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Choosing the best next carseats

Hello All,
    This is my first time posting on a forum. I was hoping that someone would offer their advice to assist me in selecting the next car seats for my two children. I am looking to purchase a new seat for both of them that they will use from rear to front to booster.

Here is the pertinent information:

My daughter is 3.5 years old (4 in August), is 3' 2.5" (38.5") tall, and weighs 32 lbs.
    My son is 18 months old, is 2' 8" (32") tall, and weighs 23.5 lbs.
    Our primary car seat vehicle is a 2010 Ford F150 Super Crew, and both car seats would be on the bench back seat of this truck. We currently have one behind the passenger seat and one in the middle. They are both rear-facing and will continue to be until they no longer fit the height and weight requirements.

I have narrowed down our choices to the Graco 4ever and the Diono Rainier, or possibly a Britax seat. We've had two Britax seats and have been happy with both of them, although there are a couple (minor) things that I would change about my daughter's current seat (Britax Pavilion).

Any input about these seats would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Choosing the best next carseats

Hi there.

If you want ones with a usable booster and they go rear to forward to booster, then the Graco 4Ever is what you want. Britax doesn't have any rear to forward to booster, and the Rainier isn't very useful as a booster (the 50 pound minimum will be an issue for your lightweight children, for instance). The 4Ever actually does all four modes well.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

I agree with Wendy and just wanted to add that you might also check out the Milestone, which is similar to the 4-ever, but doesn't become a backless booster. Since backless boosters are cheap and the 4ever backless booster mode is particularly bulky, I would personally get a Milestone and then get a backless booster down the road. I love my Milestone. We have only used it rear-facing so far, but it is lighter and lower profile than the 4ever and it is just as tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding FF in a Chicco MyFit, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding RF in a Graco Milestone, a Graco Extend-2-Fit 3-in-1 and a Graco SlimFit)

CPS Fanatic

The Milestone is also narrower, which might make it easier to keep them side by side, if that's what you want to do.

Just wanted to add that along with the Rainer not making a great booster because of weight limits, if you were considering it I'd suggest trying one out forward facing and maybe throwing up a photo for a tech to look at.

I have a 2014 super crew (same body style, if I recall correctly) and a radian (not Rainer but I believe has a similar shell shape) and the radian is one of the handful of car seats I have not liked the install of forward facing in that truck. The shape of the backseat and the shell don't jive well.

On the plus side it's a fabulous vehicle for fitting car seats width wise.
    Mom to J - 5.5 years - 48lbs in a Nautilus
    and A - 2.5 years - 28lbs in an TFP
    RXT and TB as spares, riding in an F150 and Focus

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by lgenne View Post
    The Milestone is also narrower, which might make it easier to keep them side by side, if that's what you want to do.

How narrow is the Milestone?

CPS Fanatic

Looks like 19.5" at the widest point: http://carseatblog.com/comparerating...raco-milestone

(Although it says the same thing about the 4ever, which seems unlikely. I can measure mine tonight.)