Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Booster recommendation for 3 across (merged thread)

My 6 year old son has outgrown his Radian and I need a seat for him that will work in a 3 across situation in a VW Golf. We currently have the Radian and 2 rear facing Clek Fllos in there with about 1.5" of seat width to spare.

He is 50" tall and 48lbs so I figure he'll be okay in a booster. He's harnessed in a Frontier in our other car but we can't fit a Frontier in the Golf. His seated shoulder height is 18.25" so many boosters we've tried won't be tall enough for him. We tried the Clek Oobr but it's seat is way too shallow for him.

What would be a good booster for us to look at?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Canada Booster recommendation for 3 across - Canada

My 6 year old son has outgrown his Radian and I need a seat for him that will work in a 3 across situation in a VW Golf. We currently have the Radian and 2 rear facing Clek Fllos in there with about 1.5" of seat width to spare.

He is 50" tall and 48lbs so I figure he'll be okay in a booster. He's harnessed in a Frontier in our other car but we can't fit a Frontier in the Golf. His seated shoulder height is 18.25" so many boosters we've tried won't be tall enough for him. We tried the Clek Oobr but it's seat is way too shallow for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Layney82 View Post

Since you seem to be in the US, you have a couple of narrow boosters to chose from. The Maxi Cosi Rodifix is quite narrow and doesn't have armrest, which makes for an easier buckling. The Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro (spelling?) has a really narrow base, but is wider at the torso.
    Mary Ann - Maman franco
    Sorry for my broken English
    DD1: 10/2008 - Rides FF in a Plum RXT or PW's
    DD2: 02/2013 - Rides RF in a Flamingo Foonf
    DS: 07/2015 - Rides RF in a cowmoo Boulevard

Re: Booster recommendation for 3 across

Quote Originally Posted by Mary_Ann View Post
    Since you seem to be in the US, you have a couple of narrow boosters to chose from. The Maxi Cosi Rodifix is quite narrow and doesn't have armrest, which makes for an easier buckling. The Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro (spelling?) has a really narrow base, but is wider at the torso.
    Unfortunately, I'm in Canada. Does this mean the Rodifix and Kiddy Cruiserfix aren't available here?

CPS Technician
    You'll have an easier time with a backless booster. If Harmony is available in Canada, I'd try the Harmomy backless boosters.

QUOTE=Layney82;2928949]My 6 year old son has outgrown his Radian and I need a seat for him that will work in a 3 across situation in a VW Golf. We currently have the Radian and 2 rear facing Clek Fllos in there with about 1.5" of seat width to spare.

What would be a good booster for us to look at?[/QUOTE]
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Thank You from:

Yes, we have the Harmony backless booster. It's available at Walmart. I agree that it will probably be your best bet. My DH has an older Golf and I can't imagine trying to get three seats in there!

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

9. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

Do you want to booster him? What car seats do you have in your other vehicle?

If you have one more Radian, I'd consider a Sureride FF in the center with a pair of RF Radians surrounding it. They puzzle well together, and then you won't have to deal with scraped knuckles.

11. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by lgenne View Post
    Do you want to booster him? What car seats do you have in your other vehicle?

If you have one more Radian, I'd consider a Sureride FF in the center with a pair of RF Radians surrounding it. They puzzle well together, and then you won't have to deal with scraped knuckles.
    I think harnessing him would be easier (it will be hard to reach the buckle with 3 across) but he's developmentally fine to use a booster. I'll look at the Sureride too. We do have an extra Radian (the one from my car that he outgrew), but the Cleks are just as narrow and I prefer the install with the Cleks.

In my car (Chevrolet Equinox), I've got a Boulevard CT (rf), a Clek Fllo (rf) and a Frontier CT. They just fit, but I was able to get them all properly installed.

CPS Fanatic

I think it's unlikely that a Sureride would puzzle very well with the Fllo. If you like the Fllo better, it's certainly worth trying, but the Sureride sits up on a narrow base and flares out. A Radian sits under it pretty nicely, but a Fllo is much higher profile.

Quote Originally Posted by lgenne View Post
    I think it's unlikely that a Sureride would puzzle very well with the Fllo. If you like the Fllo better, it's certainly worth trying, but the Sureride sits up on a narrow base and flares out. A Radian sits under it pretty nicely, but a Fllo is much higher profile.
    i really hate the Radians but it's worth a try to keep him safe. I wish Britax made a narrower a Frontier without the cupholders so I could find a long term solution. My son just turned six so we'll need something to last several more years.

Carseat Crazy

Subbing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by featherhead View Post
    Yes, we have the Harmony backless booster. It's available at Walmart. I agree that it will probably be your best bet. My DH has an older Golf and I can't imagine trying to get three seats in there!
    I'm going to pick up the Harmony first thing tomorrow so we have something to use. My husband neglected to tell me that my son didn't fit under the Radian headwings and I only discovered it this morning when I put him in his car.

Any thoughts on the Parkway booster as a highback option? Does it tend to work in 3 across arrangements?
    http://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=13240&dateline=146112  4481

Any thoughts on the Parkway booster as a highback option? Does it tend to work in 3 across arrangements?
    I have a Parkway in my car where I used to have a Radian. It's next to a Britax Boulevard (not CT) and it *just* fits. I can't remember, but I think it didn't puzzle with my RF Foonf, but since the Fllo is different you could always try it. The Evenflo AMP (high back) would fit in my car if it wasn't for the side bolsters. Another option would be to try a Diono Monterey as they are suppose to fit pretty well next to a rear facing Radian.

I've tried the Harmony but it didn't fit and I didn't like the way the lapbelt looked.
    Last edited by Mary_Ann; 04-20-2016 at 11:56 AM.
    Mary Ann - Maman franco
    Sorry for my broken English
    DD1: 10/2008 - Rides FF in a Plum RXT or PW's
    DD2: 02/2013 - Rides RF in a Flamingo Foonf
    DS: 07/2015 - Rides RF in a cowmoo Boulevard

19. Thank You from:

I wouldn't count on it, but it never hurts to try. Next to a rear-facing seat it could possibly work, but next to a forward-facing seat it's much less likely.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

Quote Originally Posted by featherhead View Post
    I wouldn't count on it, but it never hurts to try. Next to a rear-facing seat it could possibly work, but next to a forward-facing seat it's much less likely.
    My twins are not quite 2 yet so they will both be rearfacing for a couple more years. By that point, my son should be fine to use just the backless portion. I may try it when I go to the store this weekend.
    http://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=13240&dateline=146112  4481

CPS Fanatic

Re: Booster recommendation for 3 across (merged thread)

Another thought: you might be able to do RF Fllo outboard/RF Radian center/Sureride outboard, so that you only have to deal with 1 Radian. Of course, that means buckling a low profile seat between 2 high profile seats, which you might hate even worse.