Booster recommendation for 3 across - Canada

Layney82

Booster recommendation for 3 across (merged thread)

My 6 year old son has outgrown his Radian and I need a seat for him that will work in a 3 across situation in a VW Golf. We currently have the Radian and 2 rear facing Clek Fllos in there with about 1.5" of seat width to spare.

He is 50" tall and 48lbs so I figure he'll be okay in a booster. He's harnessed in a Frontier in our other car but we can't fit a Frontier in the Golf. His seated shoulder height is 18.25" so many boosters we've tried won't be tall enough for him. We tried the Clek Oobr but it's seat is way too shallow for him.

What would be a good booster for us to look at?

ADS

Layney82

My 6 year old son has outgrown his Radian and I need a seat for him that will work in a 3 across situation in a VW Golf. We currently have the Radian and 2 rear facing Clek Fllos in there with about 1.5" of seat width to spare.

He is 50" tall and 48lbs so I figure he'll be okay in a booster. He's harnessed in a Frontier in our other car but we can't fit a Frontier in the Golf. His seated shoulder height is 18.25" so many boosters we've tried won't be tall enough for him. We tried the Clek Oobr but it's seat is way too shallow for him.

Mary_Ann

Since you seem to be in the US, you have a couple of narrow boosters to chose from. The Maxi Cosi Rodifix is quite narrow and doesn't have armrest, which makes for an easier buckling. The Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro (spelling?) has a really narrow base, but is wider at the torso.

Layney82

Re: Booster recommendation for 3 across

Since you seem to be in the US, you have a couple of narrow boosters to chose from. The Maxi Cosi Rodifix is quite narrow and doesn't have armrest, which makes for an easier buckling. The Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro (spelling?) has a really narrow base, but is wider at the torso.

Unfortunately, I'm in Canada. Does this mean the Rodifix and Kiddy Cruiserfix aren't available here?

henrietta

You'll have an easier time with a backless booster. If Harmony is available in Canada, I'd try the Harmomy backless boosters.

QUOTE=Layney82;2928949]My 6 year old son has outgrown his Radian and I need a seat for him that will work in a 3 across situation in a VW Golf. We currently have the Radian and 2 rear facing Clek Fllos in there with about 1.5" of seat width to spare.

What would be a good booster for us to look at?[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device

featherhead

Yes, we have the Harmony backless booster. It's available at Walmart. I agree that it will probably be your best bet. My DH has an older Golf and I can't imagine trying to get three seats in there!

lgenne

Do you want to booster him? What car seats do you have in your other vehicle?

If you have one more Radian, I'd consider a Sureride FF in the center with a pair of RF Radians surrounding it. They puzzle well together, and then you won't have to deal with scraped knuckles.

Layney82

Do you want to booster him? What car seats do you have in your other vehicle?

If you have one more Radian, I'd consider a Sureride FF in the center with a pair of RF Radians surrounding it. They puzzle well together, and then you won't have to deal with scraped knuckles.

I think harnessing him would be easier (it will be hard to reach the buckle with 3 across) but he's developmentally fine to use a booster. I'll look at the Sureride too. We do have an extra Radian (the one from my car that he outgrew), but the Cleks are just as narrow and I prefer the install with the Cleks.

In my car (Chevrolet Equinox), I've got a Boulevard CT (rf), a Clek Fllo (rf) and a Frontier CT. They just fit, but I was able to get them all properly installed.

lgenne

I think it's unlikely that a Sureride would puzzle very well with the Fllo. If you like the Fllo better, it's certainly worth trying, but the Sureride sits up on a narrow base and flares out. A Radian sits under it pretty nicely, but a Fllo is much higher profile.

Layney82

I think it's unlikely that a Sureride would puzzle very well with the Fllo. If you like the Fllo better, it's certainly worth trying, but the Sureride sits up on a narrow base and flares out. A Radian sits under it pretty nicely, but a Fllo is much higher profile.

i really hate the Radians but it's worth a try to keep him safe. I wish Britax made a narrower a Frontier without the cupholders so I could find a long term solution. My son just turned six so we'll need something to last several more years.

Layney82

Yes, we have the Harmony backless booster. It's available at Walmart. I agree that it will probably be your best bet. My DH has an older Golf and I can't imagine trying to get three seats in there!

I'm going to pick up the Harmony first thing tomorrow so we have something to use. My husband neglected to tell me that my son didn't fit under the Radian headwings and I only discovered it this morning when I put him in his car.

Layney82

Any thoughts on the Parkway booster as a highback option? Does it tend to work in 3 across arrangements?

Mary_Ann

Any thoughts on the Parkway booster as a highback option? Does it tend to work in 3 across arrangements?

I have a Parkway in my car where I used to have a Radian. It's next to a Britax Boulevard (not CT) and it *just* fits. I can't remember, but I think it didn't puzzle with my RF Foonf, but since the Fllo is different you could always try it. The Evenflo AMP (high back) would fit in my car if it wasn't for the side bolsters. Another option would be to try a Diono Monterey as they are suppose to fit pretty well next to a rear facing Radian.

I've tried the Harmony but it didn't fit and I didn't like the way the lapbelt looked.

Last edited:

featherhead

I wouldn't count on it, but it never hurts to try. Next to a rear-facing seat it could possibly work, but next to a forward-facing seat it's much less likely.

Layney82

I wouldn't count on it, but it never hurts to try. Next to a rear-facing seat it could possibly work, but next to a forward-facing seat it's much less likely.

My twins are not quite 2 yet so they will both be rearfacing for a couple more years. By that point, my son should be fine to use just the backless portion. I may try it when I go to the store this weekend.

lgenne

Re: Booster recommendation for 3 across (merged thread)

Another thought: you might be able to do RF Fllo outboard/RF Radian center/Sureride outboard, so that you only have to deal with 1 Radian. Of course, that means buckling a low profile seat between 2 high profile seats, which you might hate even worse.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC