Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    They don't look like booty shorts to me. Rompers don't generally have seven inch inseams. My little cousin is 13 and very tall (at by my short family standards). She loves rompers and all hers are as short as the black and white one.. never would I consider them booty shorts. But if you're looking for a 7in inseam, I believe that's the length of Old Navy's Bermudas. Maybe shorts just look shorter to you because your daughter has long legs?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

Re: Where do you shop for your tween/teen?

Quote Originally Posted by sm1982 View Post
    They don't look like booty shorts to me. Rompers don't generally have seven inch inseams. My little cousin is 13 and very tall (at by my short family standards). She loves rompers and all hers are as short as the black and white one.. never would I consider them booty shorts. But if you're looking for a 7in inseam, I believe that's the length of Old Navy's Bermudas. Maybe shorts just look shorter to you because your daughter has long legs?
    Nah, she doesn't really have long legs, it's the shape.

Where do you shop for your tween/teen?

In my world, these are booty shorts.
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=tween...n02RUCF-yIM%3A

And these are the type of shorts my kids wear to dance or school or camp.
    http://www.ivivva.com/products/cloth...d=girls-shorts

I have only seen longer shorts like you've pictured above on road cyclists. I have never seen kids here wearing longer tight shorts or Bermudas.

ETA my kids don't wear booty shorts unless it's part of a dance costume (& then they generally have tights underneath).
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

Senior Community Member

These are mid-length. When I bought R Bermuda shorts they were literally above the knee, not these.
    http://www.maurices.com/product/silv...ef_page=search

These are what she wore to school and the second, lighter ones, are shorter, and look to be defected. Ugh, now we have to search again to replace these. I dont like them But she can wear them

Last edited by HEVY; 04-19-2016 at 07:21 AM.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UlrikeDG View Post
    Aeropostle is my default for teen girl clothes, but they don't have any tankinis.
    Last year, people recommended SwimOutlet.com for suits for my teen/tween. The selection isn't amazing, but there may be a couple of reasonable options.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

I think those outfits look age appropriate and flatter her. Everything is covered and they aren't "booty" shorts because her butt isn't hanging out the bottom. You've given her the freedom to date which is a huge deal. I think you should try to let her have more say in her clothing. If she can manage a boyfriend, she can find her own style and you could maybe compromise a bit.
    Maiya ~ 12y/80lbs ~ Jane Indy Plus ~ Hayden ~ 9y/55lbs ~ SK Monterey ~ Quinn ~ 8y/45lbs ~ RXT ~ Mitchell ~ 18m/24lbs ~ Arctic Cat MA

I think those denim shorts are too long. They look dated and make her legs look heavier. No way would I buy those for my tween because I think they are unflattering.

I think clothing battles are usually a waste of time. Pick your battles. I'm not a fan of rompers myself but if my kids wanted to wear them (without shorts underneath) I would be ok with that because there are way worse things they could be wearing or doing.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

Senior Community Member

Last year, people recommended SwimOutlet.com for suits for my teen/tween. The selection isn't amazing, but there may be a couple of reasonable options.
    I'm going to look into that, thanks. I ordered this, we'll see if it fits but I think the issue will be the straps and neckline.

I really like this one, but dang, $50.
    http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-237...lor=Sonic_Wave

Quote Originally Posted by keri1292 View Post
    I think those outfits look age appropriate and flatter her. Everything is covered and they aren't "booty" shorts because her butt isn't hanging out the bottom. You've given her the freedom to date which is a huge deal. I think you should try to let her have more say in her clothing. If she can manage a boyfriend, she can find her own style and you could maybe compromise a bit.
    If she were to wear the black romper, move around in them, her butt would be out, the pic is of her just standing there.

Senior Community Member

UlrikeDG, how is the sizing?

I found this, but not sure with the sizing. It says small is 28-30 and medium is 30-32, she wears a small but is about 31.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/sporti-r...2/?color=11046

Where do you shop for your tween/teen?

I don't see anything wrong with the length of the shorts and like the 2nd pair on her. DD is quite modest and chooses shorts that are longer. I have no problem with short shorts as long as butt cheeks and private parts are covered but she likes longer ones or capris.

The rompers I think look much better without the shorts underneath. I can see the issue bough if she is sitting with her legs spread apart or horsing around and they aren't covering properly.

Jacqui - mom to: DS; 4.5yrs (50lbs, 46", Diono Radian RXT), DD; 12yrs (5'2, 5-stepping)

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    I think those denim shorts are too long.
    Too long, dated? They're from Kohl's Junior section.

The second pair are going back, there are defective and dont line up right, and are kind of loose, the fit is wrong, there was just no longer ones to get, so we settled for them.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HEVY View Post
    UlrikeDG, how is the sizing?
    It probably varies a great deal by brand, but the suit you linked has tons of reviews. 58% say it runs small, and 39% say it's true to size.

Also, one of the reasons that site was recommended is that it has a great return policy.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Senior Community Member

It probably varies a great deal by brand, but the suit you linked has tons of reviews. 58% say it runs small, and 39% say it's true to size.

Also, one of the reasons that site was recommended is that it has a great return policy.
    Thanks. But you have to pay shipping to return. I was able to order the one from Kohls at %20 off, still a lot. I will try the one I linked to if nothing else I have now works. I am concerned about the discrepancy in the fit, I had that issue with a pair of Nikes and now she's stuck with a shoe a good inch larger than they should be.

You said you have Ross but don't shop there? I'd definitely check it out. Ross is one of my favorite places to find swimwear for myself and DD. She prefers athletic styles and I have been able to find her tankinis and one-pieces by Nike and others for $12 max.
    Anne, driving a '13 Odyssey and an '05 CRV

DD-Julia 9/04 (5 stepping now!)
    DS1-Luca 11/10 (Graco Wayz and Graco HB Turbobooster)
    DS2- Enzo 7/15 (Chicco NextFit and Diono R100)

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    In my world, these are booty shorts.
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=tween...n02RUCF-yIM%3A

And these are the type of shorts my kids wear to dance or school or camp.

I have only seen longer shorts like you've pictured above on road cyclists. I have never seen kids here wearing longer tight shorts or Bermudas.

ETA my kids don't wear booty shorts unless it's part of a dance costume (& then they generally have tights underneath).
    I just seen this, there's no way R would wear anything that short in public, in fact, when she was in a normal mood she tried on shorts that short and was like "No way, uh uh", lol. None of the short I posted were Bermuda

This is a Bermuda short.
    http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/l...%26slotId%3D34

This is a short short.
    http://www.shortshere.com/wp-content...s-shorts-4.jpg

Booty shorts.
    http://www.rue21.com/store/jump/prod...1-0002128-0042

None of these she would wear.

So I ordered the Kohl's tankini.
    http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-237...63&action=edit

And we received this one yesterday, and it actually fits nice on top, but flares, and she doesn't like that, but we'll see.
    http://www.target.com/p/women-s-race...o/-/A-50408853

I would try sports stores for the shorts, or I usually find some about that length for work from Gap--their Classic Khaki style, or whatever it is called. Also sports stores for their 'walking' style short (just bought a few pair of McKinley's yesterday). Shopping sale/clearnace you can do really well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Community Member

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Ha ha, that's so corny.

This is what we are going with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

CPS Fanatic

I'm so glad you found something! Yay! Looks nice!

I was going to say Lands' End. I can't imagine buying swimwear anywhere else. I find Navy a lot trendier than JCP or Kohls or Walmart and wouldn't survive without those 2 options for our clothes. I'm glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
    My girls are way younger but they prefer skirts with shorts under. They can run, jump and climb and are so much cooler. They have total freedom of movement and as long as I pick ones that drapes nicely they stay covered.
    My kids aren't that young and they still dress like that.

20. Thank You from: