Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Community Member

Where do you shop for your tween/teen?

We are having the hardest time finding a real store that sells something for my kid. Forget Justice, it's too babyish

It's costing me a fortune to find a bathing suit. She want a tankini and boy short type shorts, actually they are more like volleyball shorts. I have two pair, one from Target and the other from Kohls, they are the exact short in every way but the tags. They are like a bikini but slightly longer in the front. they do not cover her. She tried on on in JCP and it was longer in the legs but just every so slightly loose in the waist, and a little higher in the waist than the other two. But I would have to go all they way back there and hope they still have the one pair that we tried on, not online.
    This one.
    http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-231...sp?color=Black

The first tankini we found is really cute, but the bust is heavily padded, like very thick padding on the side to uplift your breasts, and it plunges, when I tried to sew it, it just looked really off and the sides were a little exposed.
    That is this one. Just to grown for her, and she doesn't really fill it.
    http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-243...lor=Gray_Multi

Then she got this one in the purple, not the bpottoms though. It's open in the back though.
    http://www.target.com/p/women-s-croc...#prodSlot=_2_5

Anyway the point of this thread is I am having so much trouble finding things that fit her. She fits juniors/womens on the bottom, in no way on top, especially her shoulders, too narrow. She refuses any of the kids tankinis, one reason is they are too thin in the bust. She hates every design, out of all we saw online and in the stores we had gone too, she hates them all.

Also have issues with shorts, I want then to be at least 7 inches, she has agreed to that, but the only place I can find that sells them are online, you have to buy online then go from there.

I don't know what has happened in the past couple years, but Bermuda are now way above the knee, but too ling to be middies, middies are now short shorts and short shorts are now underwear.

So frustrating

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Where do you shop for your tween/teen?

I know it's online also, but Land's End has some nice bathing suits and clothes. You can return to a Sears' store if there is one close to you. Customer service is a dream also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
    I know it's online also, but Land's End has some nice bathing suits and clothes. You can return to a Sears' store if there is one close to you. Customer service is a dream also.

She hates LE, but I can't get to a sears store.

I just don't understand why there is nothing in between. The juniors are really just womens, ugly and too big, or bikinis.

My kids wear Old Navy bathing suits for fun (not swim club). But my 12yo is VERY skinny and not curvy. My kids like Justice jeans but that's about it. I have heard that Aeropostale carries a size 00 that fits well, but the Justice 12 slims are baggy on my kid (the 10 slims are too short). Kids don't wear Bermuda shorts here and I can't imaging making them wear 7" shorts. They wear short shorts when it's hot enough for short.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

Do you have any swim wear stores there? They often have more options. I recently got some tankinis for myself with good coverage at Winners-not sure if you have such a store in the US.
    DD wears Justice tankinis and likes them but isn't very busty yet.

Jacqui - mom to: DS; 4.5yrs (50lbs, 46", Diono Radian RXT), DD; 12yrs (5'2, 5-stepping)

My 15yo loves Lime Ricki and Divine Modestee. She likes more coverage than the average suit provides. We usually buy stuff when it's on clearance. They are expensive, but so nice. Thick lines suits, with top coverage.

Maiya just got bermudas at Kohls. Tons of choices. http://www.kohls.com/catalog/juniors...uda&S=1&PPP=60
    Maiya ~ 12y/80lbs ~ Jane Indy Plus ~ Hayden ~ 9y/55lbs ~ SK Monterey ~ Quinn ~ 8y/45lbs ~ RXT ~ Mitchell ~ 18m/24lbs ~ Arctic Cat MA

Quote Originally Posted by jacqui276 View Post
    Do you have any swim wear stores there? They often have more options. I recently got some tankinis for myself with good coverage at Winners-not sure if you have such a store in the US.
    DD wears Justice tankinis and likes them but isn't very busty yet.

Winners is TJ Maxx in the USA.
    Melissa

Senior Community Member

We shop at Target, Kohls, Walmart, JCP, and sometimes Rue 21. There is also a Ross, Peebles and Roses, but we do not shop there. We did find two pair of shorts at Kohls, one is just slightly too short but ok, the other is too short for my taste. R hates Old Navy and Lands End, I guess she outgrew them like with Justice.

She's so fussy with the design of the tankinis, the only ones she likes, and believe me when I say we looked through dozens in person and God knows how many online, have a deep, revealing neckline, and literally only 5, one forced on her to try to like it, and one that cost $100.

I want to post a few pics of some shorts she wore with bike shorts last year but don't want to this year, in fact refuses to wear them if she has to wear bike shorts. Any objections?

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Aeropostle is my default for teen girl clothes, but they don't have any tankinis.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UlrikeDG View Post
    Aeropostle is my default for teen girl clothes, but they don't have any tankinis.
    Last year, people recommended SwimOutlet.com for suits for my teen/tween. The selection isn't amazing, but there may be a couple of reasonable options.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Quote Originally Posted by HEVY View Post
    I want to post a few pics of some shorts she wore with bike shorts last year but don't want to this year, in fact refuses to wear them if she has to wear bike shorts. Any objections?
    I don't object. In fact I'm trying to picture shorts worn with bike shorts. I put bike shorts under my girls dresses and skirts but never heard of them under other shorts.

Senior Community Member

I tried to resize them but PB was not loading up for edit.

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

The black looks nice either way. The floral looks better without, IMO.

CCO 4/15

My girls would definitely not wear bike shorts under either outfit. I wouldn't ask them to either. JMHO
    Melissa

I've never heard of wearing bike shorts under shorts. Skirts and dresses, sure, but not shorts.

I think the black one looks fine but I can see why she wouldn't want to wear it like that. It's also probably not that comfortable. If it's hot enough for shorts I definitely don't want to be messing with extra layers.
    Well... that was fast!
    Baby #1 due 10/1/16

Senior Community Member

I can't believe no one thinks they are too short

The black looks good with either black or white under it, I think it fits, like it is part of the outfit No way she is wearing the black without shorts.

But the other one is short too, and revealing. R is a jump around, dance, flip, sit with her legs wide open type of gal, she would be revealing herself in shorts like those, just as with a dress or skirt.

I was half expecting to be called from school today because she wore her longer of the two new denim shorts to school, even those it's just past her fingertips (really stupid and inaccurate rule). There is some definite favoritism when it comes to inappropriate clothing.

Those romper styles are supposed to be short. If she jumps around and you feel the loose legs will reveal too much, I'd get her shorter dance style shorts to wear under. I wouldn't have any long enough to stick out the bottom though unless that look is her choice.
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

Senior Community Member

The first one, when she plays around the shorts ride up and aren't so noticeable. I don't think the black one is going to be an issue since she seems to have outgrown it

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

If you don't like the length of the shorts without bike shorts, I'd find different shorts/outfits. Both of those though are long enough that butt cheeks and private parts are fully covered and for a kid that doesn't climb trees or ride bikes or whatever, I'd be ok with them for my kid.

However, my kid wants to climb the monkey bars and trees and all that and those would not be comfortable or practical for my daughter. We stick with comfy shorts that allow her to slide down the slide without burning her thighs and climbing trees without scraping up her thighs. This is easy for me, as my dd is 5 and Hanna Andersson bike shorts are long and loose on her, allowing her maximum movement and coverage.

For an older kid, I'm not really sure what I would do. Putting shorts under shorts, besides looking off IMO, seems like it would be hot with 2 layers. Would she wear athletic shorts? Those tend to be longer and super comfy. How about shorter capris?

CCO 4/15

Senior Community Member

Those rompers to me are short shorts, and booty shorts, if I could find something that's not short like that I would, purpose of this thread. The Bermudas are too long, the middies are too short, can't find something in between. To me, the black bike shorts are middies, I need to find shorts like that, 7 inch seam. And wearing the bike shorts are no more hot, probably less hot, than wearing denim shorts. Lol, we been fighting over shorts for years, I have given in by letting her wear middies and designers go and change the length of them, smh.