Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Bath oils/salts

Senior Community Member

Bath oils/salts

I'm looking for something that's not too strong/chemically/filmy, any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Bath oils/salts

I just use regular Epsom salts. They're cheap and not at all strong smelling (there's no smell at all actually) and they don't leave residue on my tub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by katymyers View Post
    I just use regular Epsom salts. They're cheap and not at all strong smelling (there's no smell at all actually) and they don't leave residue on my tub.

I want something that has a fragrance, just not a strong one.

Senior Community Member jwilliams's Avatar

Epsom salts are usually available in lavender too.

5yo harnessed in a Britax Pioneer, one 3yo RF in a Fllo and another 3yo RF in a plum RXT, all in a 2014 Honda Accord.

Senior Community Member SuzaBanana's Avatar
    Just buy essential oils in the scents you like and add a couple drops to the bath until you have the strength you like. Epsom salts are great for sore muscles.
    integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Epsom salts are usually available in lavender too.

Ok, I'll check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by SuzaBanana View Post
    Just buy essential oils in the scents you like and add a couple drops to the bath until you have the strength you like. Epsom salts are great for sore muscles.
    Does Walmart and Target sell that stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by SuzaBanana View Post

Just don't add the oils directly to the bath. They will sit on top of the water and not mix in. Depending on the oil it can irritate or even burn the skin. You need to mix the essential oils with the Epsom salts before adding to the bath water.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by featherhead View Post
    Just don't add the oils directly to the bath. They will sit on top of the water and not mix in. Depending on the oil it can irritate or even burn the skin. You need to mix the essential oils with the Epsom salts before adding to the bath water.
    Huh? Ok, so mix oils with salt. What about just getting bath salts, would that be easier, or more money?

Quote Originally Posted by featherhead View Post

I have a glass jar (like a mason jar) I keep in the bathroom. I put a scoop of epsom and baking soda, then a few drops of whatever EO I'm in the mood for. Just shake and dump it in the running water.

11. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by HEVY View Post
    Huh? Ok, so mix oils with salt. What about just getting bath salts, would that be easier, or more money?

Bath salts would probably be easier, possibly cheaper as well. Depends how much you are concerned about chemicals and doing things naturally. Bath salts will have chemical fragrances and maybe other additives.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

Senior Community Member SuzaBanana's Avatar
    If all you want is a very light scent, 2-3 drops into the RUNNING bath water will disperse the oil enough. And while there are some oils that could irritate the skin, I find it's much more than 2-3 drops in a full tub. I take baths several times a week and for 2+ hours. The whole family has sensitive skin and has never had an issue with a couple drops of oil in the tub.
    integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching

I take a bath almost every night after work.

I love Epsom salts, both unscented and lavender and they're CHEAP which is nice for how often I use them.

Every once in a while I use a Lush bath bomb on Treat Yo Self day, but those are quite pricy considering they're typically one-time use products. They're heavenly though. I my friend works there, so sometimes she gives me some.
    Well... that was fast!
    Baby #1 due 10/1/16

Quote Originally Posted by robbertbobbert View Post
    I take a bath almost every night after work.

I love Epsom salts, both unscented and lavender and they're CHEAP which is nice for how often I use them.

Every once in a while I use a Lush bath bomb on Treat Yo Self day, but those are quite pricy considering they're typically one-time use products. They're heavenly though. I my friend works there, so sometimes she gives me some.

This is exactly what I do . I buy either the lavender or plain Epsom salts and use them every night after the kids are in bed. I love Lush bombs but they are expensive so I can't use them very often.

Quote Originally Posted by katymyers View Post
    This is exactly what I do . I buy either the lavender or plain Epsom salts and use them every night after the kids are in bed. I love Lush bombs but they are expensive so I can't use them very often.
    I also don't feel like my crappy standard-size bath tub does them justice! If we are going on vacation or staying somewhere with a great tub I always pick up a few bath bombs first.
    Well... that was fast!
    Baby #1 due 10/1/16

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Dr Teal's makes Epsom salts in several scents (vanilla, chamomile, eucalyptus/peppermint, unscented) and they're available at Target or Walmart for about $5 a bag.

I had a terrible experience adding grapefruit EO to a bath once. I did it while the water was running and used only 4 drops, and it BURNED. I had to slather myself in coconut oil to undo it. So I wouldn't recommend that.

18. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post
    Dr Teal's makes Epsom salts in several scents (vanilla, chamomile, eucalyptus/peppermint, unscented) and they're available at Target or Walmart for about $5 a bag.

I had a terrible experience adding grapefruit EO to a bath once. I did it while the water was running and used only 4 drops, and it BURNED. I had to slather myself in coconut oil to undo it. So I wouldn't recommend that.
    Thanks, I was just coming to ask for a brand, and jusy happen to be going to target today.