Flying alone with 2 kids 2 and under?

YeebZ

Just wondering what my chances are of sitting between my kids on the plane?
Could i FF the 2 year old(on the plane only) in the aisle seat and RF my 1 year old in the window seat and sit in the middle?

I will be using 2 Scenera NEXTs and flying SouthWest, on a 6 hour flight.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Welcome!

Southwest has always required that if I have two children in car seats in a row they be window and center. I believe that's their policy, you might get a FA who doesn't care but I'd be prepared for that.

lanwenyi

My understanding is that the FAA requires that there be no seats in the aisle seats b/c the seat backs break backwards allowing the flight attendants to walk on the aisle seats in an emergency. (I could be wrong on this; It's what I was told by the head flight attendant when they wouldn't allow me to put my two kids next to each other and me across the aisle so that neither would be next to a stranger or me next to one child and the other child across the aisle in the aisle seat.)

When I flew alone with 2 kids in carseats in a 2x2 aircraft (different airline), they had me put the kids in 2 window seats and I sat in the aisle next to one of them (the other sat by a stranger in the row in front or behind us).

Every time I've flown alone with 2 kids in carseats in a 2x3 or 3x3 aircraft (many airlines), I've had to seat them window and middle with me on the aisle (on the 3 side of a 2x3 aircraft). RFing seat HAD to be in the window if the other child was FFing.

It sounds like you are in a 3x3 aircraft (unless you are on an aircraft with 2 aisles), so plan to be required to seat them RFing in Window, FFing in middle, and you on the aisle. The seats are so close on an airplane that you'll have no problem reaching either child. You can ask the flight attendants if you can do another arrangements, but be fully prepared for a "no".

Dillipop

My understanding is that the FAA requires that there be no seats in the aisle seats b/c the seat backs break backwards allowing the flight attendants to walk on the aisle seats in an emergency. (I could be wrong on this; It's what I was told by the head flight attendant when they wouldn't allow me to put my two kids next to each other and me across the aisle so that neither would be next to a stranger or me next to one child and the other child across the aisle in the aisle seat.)

When I flew alone with 2 kids in carseats in a 2x2 aircraft (different airline), they had me put the kids in 2 window seats and I sat in the aisle next to one of them (the other sat by a stranger in the row in front or behind us).

Every time I've flown alone with 2 kids in carseats in a 2x3 or 3x3 aircraft (many airlines), I've had to seat them window and middle with me on the aisle (on the 3 side of a 2x3 aircraft). RFing seat HAD to be in the window if the other child was FFing.

It sounds like you are in a 3x3 aircraft (unless you are on an aircraft with 2 aisles), so plan to be required to seat them RFing in Window, FFing in middle, and you on the aisle. The seats are so close on an airplane that you'll have no problem reaching either child. You can ask the flight attendants if you can do another arrangements, but be fully prepared for a "no".

Not sure how accurate the flight attendants reasoning was. I've never heard that.

What I've read is that the FAA requires everyone to e able to easily access the aisle in an emergency. Which is why a rearfacing car seat will always be required to be in a window seat. A ffing seat is given more leeway but only if the person sitting past it is with the child. So, in your example- your child couldn't sit across the aisle from you in the aisle seat because they would be blocking a non- related person from having quick access to the aisle.

Airlines get to choose if they will relax the restriction and allow a ffing seat on the aisle. However, every time i've flown SW, they've required rfing seat in window, ffing seat center, then adult. They also allow 2 rfing seats next to each other with an adult on the aisle.

lanwenyi

Not sure how accurate the flight attendants reasoning was. I've never heard that.

What I've read is that the FAA requires everyone to e able to easily access the aisle in an emergency. Which is why a rearfacing car seat will always be required to be in a window seat. A ffing seat is given more leeway but only if the person sitting past it is with the child. So, in your example- your child couldn't sit across the aisle from you in the aisle seat because they would be blocking a non- related person from having quick access to the aisle.

Airlines get to choose if they will relax the restriction and allow a ffing seat on the aisle. However, every time i've flown SW, they've required rfing seat in window, ffing seat center, then adult. They also allow 2 rfing seats next to each other with an adult on the aisle.

I fully believe that she might have made it up. Hence the disclaimer on what I wrote.

Same airline (different flight attendant) wouldn't let me put my DS in a CARES in the aisle seat (me in the middle, DD in the window) using the same reasoning, so it seems to be a common thought on that airline at least. They would let me put him in the middle though b/c he wasn't blocking anyone, even DD (who was not in any carseat).

I entirely understood not being able to put my child across the aisle (with a stranger in the window), b/c of blocking the other passenger. I knew I wouldn't be allowed to. I was simply sharing all of the combinations that were not allowed.

Hazelandlucy

Just wondering what my chances are of sitting between my kids on the plane?
Could i FF the 2 year old(on the plane only) in the aisle seat and RF my 1 year old in the window seat and sit in the middle?

I will be using 2 Scenera NEXTs and flying SouthWest, on a 6 hour flight.

I have done it that way on Delta without a problem.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC