Flying with 2 kids and 2 car seats

U

Unregistered

We will be taking a short flight (1.5-2 hours) in May with our 2 kids, a 4 year old and a 1.5 year old. We have (mostly) decided to buy a seat for our 1.5 year old, since I'd rather not risk letting her seat on my lap.

My son is 4 y.o., 28 lbs, 39", wears 3T shirts.
My daughter is 1.5 y.o., 25 lbs, 32", wears 24 mos shirts.

We have 4 car seats: Britax Boulevard (3rd gen), Safety 1st Complete Air 70, Graco 4ever, and a Recaro Performance Sport. We're flying on Delta.

Which car seats should we take that will fit the plane seats and not be too heavy? Would it be better to buy a couple of cheap lightweight car seats? Can we safely strap them to our carry-ons or should we get a luggage cart?

Would a CARES harness be safe enough for my son? I worry about him slipping down since he's so skinny.

Thank you all for your help.

ADS

AllieK

First off, your son is almost too tall for the CARES - the height limit is 40". If you think he'll stay under 40" and you don't need a car seat for him when you land it would be a good choice.

When we flew with our 2 kids we strapped the seats to a luggage cart (we only had backpacks as carry-ons) but strapping to a carry on is also fine.

If I were you I would probably buy some lightweight seats for travel, maybe 2 Scenera NEXTs (I think your son would fit FF in the NEXT, but hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong!), or 2 Evenflo SureRides.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC