Are adjustable/removable headrests a deal breaker?

amandaj553

We are shopping for a newish car in the next few months (2014 - 2016). Cars in consideration currently are: Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Honda CRV, and Nissan Altima.

The Altima has fixed, non-adjustable, non-removable headrests. Would you consider this a deal-breaker?

Kids: 5.5 (harnessed), 7.5 (HBB) Headrests don't interfere with Frontier 85 install. I tried a 15 year old friend in the back to see about height, her ears were almost at the top of the headrest (and she's probably 5'3").

I plan to keep this car until I pass it down to my DS when he's about 17 (so about 10 years).

Any other comments about the other vehicles are welcome!!

ADS

SavsMom

The Camry headrests are completely fixed and not adjustable at all anymore - that was just 1 of the reasons we traded our 2013.
I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker BUT I would be cautious and I'd try a few forward facing seats including boosters before signing on the dotted line.

amandaj553

The Camry headrests are completely fixed and not adjustable at all anymore - that was just 1 of the reasons we traded our 2013.
I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker BUT I would be cautious and I'd try a few forward facing seats including boosters before signing on the dotted line.

Gosh, I had no idea Camry headrests were fixed now... so hard to tell from pictures! Thanks!

Dillipop

I personally feel that all vehicles should have tall, adjustable, removable headrests. I don't think one buy anything that didn't follow that. I have a 12 year old that is over 5 ft and I need him to be able to sit in the backseat until he leaves for college- no necessarily all the time but for family trips and such. I also need removable headests if they push forward at all, as I am still looking at another 7-8 years of a highback booster and I need it to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aeormsby

I think the headrests are the biggest problem for high back boosters. If they truly aren't removable (in our Saturn I was able to pull a clip off below the upholstery to remove them) and you don't feel comfortable going straight to a NBB if you can't find a HBB to work then I would say it's a deal breaker. I did find that our Frontiers worked better with the tilted headrests, even when it was used as a HBB than dedicated HBB's did. And with the side airbags in newer vehicles I have less reservations with kids using NBB's over HBB's (as long as they aren't sleeping/slumping).

I'm not sure if you've looked at any Mazda's. Our 2014 Mazda3 has adjustable/removable headrests in all 3 back seat spots. Not sure if the Mazda6 (since the vehicles you mentioned are larger) is the same.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I personally feel that all vehicles should have tall, adjustable, removable headrests. I don't think one buy anything that didn't follow that. I have a 12 year old that is over 5 ft and I need him to be able to sit in the backseat until he leaves for college- no necessarily all the time but for family trips and such. I also need removable headests if they push forward at all, as I am still looking at another 7-8 years of a highback booster and I need it to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completely agree. It's a deal breaker for me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC