Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Are adjustable/removable headrests a deal breaker?

We are shopping for a newish car in the next few months (2014 - 2016). Cars in consideration currently are: Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Honda CRV, and Nissan Altima.

The Altima has fixed, non-adjustable, non-removable headrests. Would you consider this a deal-breaker?

Kids: 5.5 (harnessed), 7.5 (HBB) Headrests don't interfere with Frontier 85 install. I tried a 15 year old friend in the back to see about height, her ears were almost at the top of the headrest (and she's probably 5'3").

I plan to keep this car until I pass it down to my DS when he's about 17 (so about 10 years).

Any other comments about the other vehicles are welcome!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

The Camry headrests are completely fixed and not adjustable at all anymore - that was just 1 of the reasons we traded our 2013.
    I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker BUT I would be cautious and I'd try a few forward facing seats including boosters before signing on the dotted line.

DD - 12/07 - Backless Turbo
    DS - 9/13 - Boulevard

Re: Are adjustable/removable headrests a deal breaker?

Quote Originally Posted by SavsMom View Post
    The Camry headrests are completely fixed and not adjustable at all anymore - that was just 1 of the reasons we traded our 2013.
    I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker BUT I would be cautious and I'd try a few forward facing seats including boosters before signing on the dotted line.
    Gosh, I had no idea Camry headrests were fixed now... so hard to tell from pictures! Thanks!

Yep - they don't even adjust up and down, they are just giant pieces of hard seat foam.

DD - 12/07 - Backless Turbo
    DS - 9/13 - Boulevard

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

I personally feel that all vehicles should have tall, adjustable, removable headrests. I don't think one buy anything that didn't follow that. I have a 12 year old that is over 5 ft and I need him to be able to sit in the backseat until he leaves for college- no necessarily all the time but for family trips and such. I also need removable headests if they push forward at all, as I am still looking at another 7-8 years of a highback booster and I need it to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCO 4/15

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

I think the headrests are the biggest problem for high back boosters. If they truly aren't removable (in our Saturn I was able to pull a clip off below the upholstery to remove them) and you don't feel comfortable going straight to a NBB if you can't find a HBB to work then I would say it's a deal breaker. I did find that our Frontiers worked better with the tilted headrests, even when it was used as a HBB than dedicated HBB's did. And with the side airbags in newer vehicles I have less reservations with kids using NBB's over HBB's (as long as they aren't sleeping/slumping).

I'm not sure if you've looked at any Mazda's. Our 2014 Mazda3 has adjustable/removable headrests in all 3 back seat spots. Not sure if the Mazda6 (since the vehicles you mentioned are larger) is the same.
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dillipop View Post
    I personally feel that all vehicles should have tall, adjustable, removable headrests. I don't think one buy anything that didn't follow that. I have a 12 year old that is over 5 ft and I need him to be able to sit in the backseat until he leaves for college- no necessarily all the time but for family trips and such. I also need removable headests if they push forward at all, as I am still looking at another 7-8 years of a highback booster and I need it to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I completely agree. It's a deal breaker for me.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!