OK pre-emptive seat help

biddyk8

Dd1 42 ish inches, 45 lbs 4yo
Dd2 26 inches 12 lbs 4 months
Cars Chev equinox, Dodge journey
Current seats pioneer, sureride, peg convertible, keyfit 30.

So my stringbean Dd2 is going to out grow her keyfit soon by length. Well end of summer likely. I'm torn between buying a new seat for baby and leaving 4 year old in the pioneer and sureride, or letting baby have the peg and sure ride and buying new for the 4 year old.

4 year old is only in dad's journey for to and from daycare trips so about 10km a week total. She is long torso just moved to top slot on sureride, so I'd have to get another pioneer or frontier. Which is alot for such little usage, or should I booster train for the small trips.

Or buy new for baby which opens all the options. Canadian so the next isn't as cheap to buy as a interim seat either

ADS

rin2809

Do you have the option for a Secure Kid in Canada? I would say maybe get a relatively inexpensive Combo seat to keep DD1 harnessed longer that can then be used down the road.

Or, if you like the Sureride, get another. Should last you awhile, is relatively inexpensive, and will give you two great travel seats for flying, etc.

lgenne

How does the Sureride fit RF in your vehicles?

That is a super long torso! My tall, long waisted 6 year old was barely on the top slots at Christmas.

If you like the Sureride, I might just get another one of those. Use it for whoever. Then get a dedicated booster or 2 down the line when the 4 yo is a little older. Unless she's really good about sitting still and will be 5 by the time this plan is executed.

biddyk8

Do you have the option for a Secure Kid in Canada? I would say maybe get a relatively inexpensive Combo seat to keep DD1 harnessed longer that can then be used down the road.

I thought the securekid top slots where around 17 inches? She would be over them.

The sureride is $170 up here now, so no longer really a cheap option , and dd1 is running out of harness length in it. If I was leaning that way I'd probably buy the baby a next as they would last the same length of time and a next is $100.

dd1 sits very still and is really strict on car safety, she will shout at anyone who doesn't do her chest clip etc right.

Dillipop

I thought the securekid top slots where around 17 inches? She would be over them.

The sureride is $170 up here now, so no longer really a cheap option , and dd1 is running out of harness length in it. If I was leaning that way I'd probably buy the baby a next as they would last the same length of time and a next is $100.

dd1 sits very still and is really strict on car safety, she will shout at anyone who doesn't do her chest clip etc right.

For the second car, I'd seriously consider a high back booster. She's over 4, over 40, and is in that car for very little time. Just enough to work on sitting still skills.

biddyk8

For the second car, I'd seriously consider a high back booster. She's over 4, over 40, and is in that car for very little time. Just enough to work on sitting still skills.

Thats what I was thinking, it wont even be used until I go back to work and they are both in daycare so probably Sept. I think at this stage I'd rather buy a good booster instead of spending money on another seat as I think the current seats will all last dd2 until ffing stage. Although I will check expiry dates to be sure, if the peg expiry is earlier than I think I might look into a convertible for her instead.

I think for the Journey I need one that doesn't need head rest support as the head rest pushes out. So I think turbobooster, sgl and oobr?

featherhead

Thats what I was thinking, it wont even be used until I go back to work and they are both in daycare so probably Sept. I think at this stage I'd rather buy a good booster instead of spending money on another seat as I think the current seats will all last dd2 until ffing stage. Although I will check expiry dates to be sure, if the peg expiry is earlier than I think I might look into a convertible for her instead.

I think for the Journey I need one that doesn't need head rest support as the head rest pushes out. So I think turbobooster, sgl and oobr?

You should have several years left on the Peg as they have only been in Canada for maybe 3 years. I think the expiry on those is 7 years. I would likely try a booster as well. When does she turn five?

biddyk8

I know the peg is a 2019 exp just not sure when, I know we got it on release day when it came out. I'd want it to last until after dd2 turns 3 for sure so I'll have to check it.

She has just turned 4, but it will probably be 5/6 months before we consider this. Its also an extremely quiet road, I'd say dh meets another car maybe 1 day a week on the trip to and from. If it wasn't a short and quiet trip, I wouldn't even consider it.

rin2809

Unless this is another US/Canada difference, I think that the top slot is 18" and the listed height limit is 50" so it should last you a bit yet. But I agree with the others, for that short of a trip with a mature kiddo, a HBB might be the way to go.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC