Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Rear Facing Radian Leaning

My friend has my old Raidan installed rear-facing with the seat belt for her nearly 3 year old daughter and it is leaning. I know this is a known issue and that it is caused by the geometry of the locked seat belt. There is a thread/blog post somewhere that describes why the lean happens and how to use the locking clip. I would like to send it to her so she can correct the problem. My friend lives in Missouri and I am in Washington State so I can't give her hands on help.

Can anyone quickly lay their hands on a link to that thread/blog post.
    Heather car seat geek since the early 80's & WAHM
    DD1, 17, adult SB, DD2, 15, adult SB, DD3, 13 Adult Seatbelt DD4,9, 5 steppingDS1, 9,5 stepping, DS2, 5, Harmony Defender in booster mode all in our 2009 Suburban!!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Rear Facing Radian Leaning

Leaning A LITTLE is ok. If it's bothering her she can certainly try a locking clip: http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

A warning, Diono's instructions (in the manual) say they want the locking clip within 1/2 inch, not one inch, and the low nature of the belt path often makes using a locking clip on a rear facing Radian difficult. Twisting the buckle stalk is usually necessary.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

4. Thank You from:

That is the one I remembered reading. Thanks so much.

As far as how much it is leaning...I will have her take a picture. I have lots of Radian experience (I've owned 4 over the years) but she is too far away to help personally. I told her that using a locking clip usually involves bruised knuckles, prehaps blood and definitely swear words. We'll see how she does. I am just proud of her for keeping her daughter rear facing this long.
    Heather car seat geek since the early 80's & WAHM
    DD1, 17, adult SB, DD2, 15, adult SB, DD3, 13 Adult Seatbelt DD4,9, 5 steppingDS1, 9,5 stepping, DS2, 5, Harmony Defender in booster mode all in our 2009 Suburban!!!

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

If it's still in firm contact with the vehicle seat on both sides, not lifting off, and not worsening over time to the point it will lift off, it's ok to tilt.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!