Trying to get a Marathon...trading a Husky?...

trishlynne

I have this stupid situation.

Car #1, I have a Husky for the 2yo, and a Turbo Booster for the 5yo.

Car #2, I have a Marathon for the 2yo, and a Bodygaurd for the 5yo. (SQUASHED into the backseat of a 1991 Subaru wagon.....BG outboard, and MA middle)

I have a Touriva as well. We WERE using the Touriva for the 2yo in car #2, and then the Marathon for the 2yo in car #1, and the Husky in car #1 for the 5yo. The Touriva was making us crazy, and frankly, my DH was unwilling to spend the 10 minutes getting the harness adjusted to make it safe. SO...we switched to the current configuration.

Well, the Husky is WAY TOO BIG for the 2yo. He can't sleep in it comfortably. And while the 5yo does FINE in the BG, she need constant reminders to sit straight in the TB.

Clearly, I need another MA/WZ. But then there is the problem of fundage. :eek:

What about trading a MA for my Husky? Or should I just sell my Husky (and the damn Touriva) on ebay and buying a NEW MA/WZ?

AARRGGHH!!

Really, aside from a new car, what I'd LOVE for car #2 is another MA/WZ for the 2yo, and then a Kid-Y for the 5yo in the Subaru (if it's skinny enough). And then the BG for the 5yo, and a MA/WZ for the 2yo in the van. And just use the TB as a spare booster.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hm, well ... ideally, you'd want the older kiddo in a harness & the younger still RF if possible.

Sounds like a Marathon/Wizard would be perfect for the younger kiddo, but a cheaper FF alternative is the Graco Platinum CarGo ~ apparently not ideal for use as a booster, but really great as a FF harness seat {easy to adjust & install, comfy, etc.} My toddler liked hers a lot until my cousin just took it to use as her tot's back-up seat. My daughter is 30# 40" but she started using it when she was only about 25# & 35" The Marathon/Wizard might be a better long-term investment, though.

I'm guessing your older kiddo would fit in the Kid-Y or even the 86-Y {which I think is cheaper without a booster}. Try calling the 1-800 customer service # at the website. They were an excellent help for me!

Either way, it sounds like you want to be rid of the Touriva :p I think keeping a booster for back-up is a good plan, but I myself wouldn't want to get rid of the Husky ~ your older kid is so much safer in it than than the booster {especially since s/he doens't yet sit still properly!} I think if I were in your place I'd actually sell the Touriva & one of the boosters as well, keep the Husky, buy a Marathon & E-Z-On....

Perhaps selling the Touriva & booster would allow you to save up enough to put the MA & Husky both outboard in the van & an MA ouboard with the E-Z-On rear-center in the car?

GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Ah yes, I forgot to note....the 2yo is 35 lbs, too big to RF. :) We kept him RF until he was 32 lbs and FREAKING out whenever we put him in his seat. LOL!

I really WANT to like the Husky, but it's just so damn big. Hmmm....thinking...thinking...thinking.

trishlynne

Well...that's me in the previous post. And I'm also the one who has a CarGo that is a HUGE PITA, it's just as hard to adjust as the Touriva. I tried a new one at Target, and it wasn't any better.

Why does this have to be so hard!?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I honestly think the CarGo you tired is not the same kind we have, though ~ it is so easy to use! ;) There are different kinds of CarGos & some are not as easy {or comfrotable}....

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Maybe the Ride Safer Travel Vest? I have one and my kiddo likes it. I bought it on clearance from the Right Start for $37 ($49 with tax and shipping)...but I think they sold out fast and no one else is selling them that low anywhere else :(
Boy, I am right on tempted to take you up on that trade...my 5 yo is going to be too tall for the MA sooner rather than later... but I have a friend I've promised my MA to for years...not that she has that second child yet, and the Wizard, Platinum Cargo, and new Touriva are more than she needs for one child and two cars, lol...she wouldn't even notice if my MA disappeared...It has an Ashley Floral cover on it! LOL...let me go mull this one out...

trishlynne

Just some details about my Husky, in case anyone is considering it. I got it NEW from a "senior tech" in August. It's DOM is '02 though. It WAS part of the recall, which I did (though I had no problems before). I have the hugs pads, but I can't find the belly pad. It's the blue color. I've never washed the cover or anything, but I will (HAND wash, LINE dry) before I ship it.

Oh...and if you have a girly cover for your MA, you can keep it, and just send the MA. :p I have a spare Colonial Blue cover that we'll use.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm right on the verge of convincing myself that Bitsy's "too tall" for the MA, lol...don't wait around for me if you get a faster offer, ok? (Though I'm sure I'll be deciding quickly, actually...)

Still thinking.....

:)

Shauna

Senior Community Member
I'll trade with you. I have an MA and several covers for it. I bought it in 02 or 03. I use it with my almost 3 year old but we have plenty of room for a Husky. I would love a Husky. Email me shaunaj@gmail.com

The covers for the MA are racer, colonial blue, and a faded freedom (that is what happens to them when you wash them once). It has all its belly pads, hugs, comfort pads. Recall fix has been performed.

Shauna Johnson
CPST

trishlynne

I talked myself out of it. After watching 5yo DD LEAN and LEAN and LEAN and LEAN in her booster (both the TB and the BG, though not as bad in the BG), I decided we've got to find a way to buy another MA so she can go back in the Husky.

Sorry!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh good, I was feeling SO guilty about wanting to hang on to my pretty Ashley Floral for those last few months Bitsy fits in it...

Don't worry, Shauna, we'll get you a Husky one of these days!

:)

Trish, how's your seat situation working out? Is there anything you need that I can keep an eye out for for you? (I'm always on the lookout when I can remember who needs what, lol)

Wouldn't it be fun to be the carseat fairy? Sprinkling the perfect seat on whoever needs it most?

<giggling at myself>

trishlynne

I know, I love being the carseat fairy. :) I've done it several times. Just a month ago, I gave a RA (that someone had given me.....known history etc.) to a good friend, who otherwise had planned on keeping her BABY in the infant seat (that I gave her) until she was big enough....for a backless booster. For. Real. So now, there is a very nicely installed, RF tethered RA in her car. :) And I passed on the infant seat to someone else who needed it.

I don't *need* a carseat, but what I've got scares me because DH will NOT spend the time to use it properly, because it's REALLY hard to use properly. I might even say impossible. I have even wondered if my Touriva is defective. I've got 5yo in the Husky, and 2yo in the Touriva. Which is ok for now, because it's always cold, so the 2yo is always wearing the same thing, and the straps don't need to be adjusted. I really worry for the spring, when things start to change. The Touriva is in the third row of our minivan. To tighten the straps, I have to fold the second row flat. I then have to grab the strap with both hands, brace my feet against the third row seat and literally....pull with ALL MY STRENGTH. It *might* tighten. I have to repeat this several times, until it's tight enough. Of course, by then, the bottom of the seat is totally tipped out and in "supa recline", so I have to fix THAT. *I'm* willing to do this, DH....is NOT.

I was *hoping* to be able to use the vest for the 5yo, Husky for the 2yo, but the vest is also hard to use, so that won't work either. Grrrr.

You can see why I gave my friend the RA, instead of the Touriva. At least with the Touriva staying with us, it's getting used properly 1/2 of the time. I'm sure my friend would have given up and used the backless booster.

In our teeny old Subaru, I've got 5yo in a BG outboard, and 2yo middle in a MA. 11yo DD sits outboad (which....freaks me out!....she is SMASHED against the door, truly, in a side impact, she will die).

My carseat dreams, are an 86-Y for the 11yo for the middle, and a WZ for the 2yo outboard...then the MA could go to the van, and the Touriva could go to some poor unfortunate soul who needs a car seat, and is SERIOUSLY dedicated to using it properly.

A note regarding the touriva....I even removed the LATCH straps (well....starting poking around seeing how they were attached, and they FELL off - YIKES!), hoping there would be less to get tangled on, and it did help a little. It was WORSE than my description above, if you can believe it. I've had a tech help install the Touriva, and she didn't have any better luck with it.

Bleah.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I hear you about the hard-to-adjust Cosco situation.... I had a dad come in with an AOE and Summit and that was the last thing he asked about: "this strap is so hard to pull!" What can I say, you know? That's just how they are....
Have you ever called to gripe at them about it? They are getting much better about replacing crummy parts (non-twist straps and tilt-lock tethers), and maybe a new adjuster strap would help? Though probably not,if it's the adjuster...sigh...

trishlynne

:) WOW! That's amazing! LOL!

My 11yo won't fit in a Husky, she's too tall, and too heavy. :)

But I did think about it for a minute there!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I can't even imagine the raw knuckles it took to do that :p
Gives me hope that the Wizard & LapTop will fit next to each other well with a 130+ pound kid on the other side. BTW, my kiddo is also excited about the LapTop ~ I printed out a pricture of it {Romer} & told her that she'd be able to use it to ride with my SIL & the other lady in the office to go on the post-office/banking errands ... she just doesn't get out of the office enough because I don't trust these ladies to use a harness properly, but hopefully this little seat will help resolve some of her pent up energy issues & everything in general will go much smoother around here! =)

U

Unregistered

(It's me, Trish, forgot my password)

I think we should have a car seat olympics.

There could be timed events:

Install and uninstall a Husky in three rear seating positions, WITHOUT removing it from the car to get it to another seating position.

Events that called for finesse and grace:

Remove an infant seat from the rear middle seating position, positioned between two RF convertible seats. ALL with children sleeping in the seats. Do this without waking the children.

And events of strength and perseverance:

Install a RF Smart Move, a Husky and a Baby Trend LL22 (installed with the SEAT BELT, *not* LATCH) in the back seat of a VW Golf.

LOL!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Add a team event: removing a seat that has been improperly installed with LATCH to non-LATCH anchors located somewhere in the bowels of the vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC