Vent Honda Disappointment

julia94115

Sorry to post back to back.

I just found this site.

http://hondaairbaginfo.com/news-updates/a-message-to-our-customers-about-takata-airbags/

Says in that they will provide a loaner or rental. I would print it and take it in if they give any issues.

The thing that bugs me about this recall is that some automakers are saying no one should ride in the front passenger seat. If there is that much danger to the passenger that they are saying that, it makes me even more concerned that the one person who can't not be in the car is at even greater risk since the problem is with the driver's side airbag.

Thank you for this link!

Just printed it out and will be going to the dealer tomorrow morning for a loaner!!

ADS

Lovatic24

Would you guys mind saying what you got for a rental? My friend's car is recalled and and they are a single vehicle family at the moment. Is the rental a honda vehicle or do they pic it from different companies?

Thanks!

brightredmtn

I'm ok waiting for the part and the dealer is convenient, but snarky me wants to ask for a rental because the Enterprise the dealers use has a BMW 328i that is so much fun. I upgraded to it when my car was in for crash repairs and I wouldn't mind taking it for a spin again :D

They had a BMW, Land Rover and Porshe. Sadly none of these were offered to me.

Would you guys mind saying what you got for a rental? My friend's car is recalled and and they are a single vehicle family at the moment. Is the rental a honda vehicle or do they pic it from different companies?

Thanks!

Aside from the aforementioned vehicles I could take whatever Enterprise had in stock. No Hondas that I could see were a choice.

julia94115

I just called our Honda Service department. They said they offer an economy car only. I explained I tote three kids in car seats and there is no way I can get three across in an economy car. He said I needed to call the 800 number on the recall notice and have them send an email stating I was allowed an "upgrade".
(Yeah, an economy car is an "upgrade" from my fully loaded CRV.)

So off to call them......

brightredmtn

I just called our Honda Service department. They said they offer an economy car only. I explained I tote three kids in car seats and there is no way I can get three across in an economy car. He said I needed to call the 800 number on the recall notice and have them send an email stating I was allowed an "upgrade".
(Yeah, an economy car is an "upgrade" from my fully loaded CRV.)

So off to call them......

Are they sending you to a rental company (Enterprise etc...) or giving you a loaner from the dealership? If it's a rental company don't stress about it. When I went this morning they were happy to get rid of mini vans and SUVs. I guess these don't get reserved as often.

julia94115

Are they sending you to a rental company (Enterprise etc...) or giving you a loaner from the dealership? If it's a rental company don't stress about it. When I went this morning they were happy to get rid of mini vans and SUVs. I guess these don't get reserved as often.

It's Hertz- they are right next door to the dealer.
We'll see what happens.

2BunniesMommy

What is my issue lol? Over the weekend I was all gung ho gonna call Honda on Monday. Now it is Monday and I am too anxious to call. Probably because I worried they will either say no way to 2 rentals, but we have 2 affected cars and I want my family safe whether I am at work or DH is (which is the determining factor for which is getting most use that day.) Also worry that they will make me go to the dealership rather than be able to set me up with a rental locally, but I am less worried about that now since everyone that has posted about getting a car has gotten a rental and not a loaner, so I just have to hope they will work with a company's local to me office and not make me go to a local to them office.

I also have another call that I need to make and am anxious about. Oh and a 3rd one that I took off my list, delayed having to make that call by deciding to see a chiropractor first. I did get 3 of the other calls made that I needed to make. But these last two...ugh!

ETA: Question about having a rental car....
I worry that I could end up with a rental with the same issue.
However, since the recall was first announced in Oct/Nov?2014, does that mean all cars 2015 and newer should be ok. I am iffy on that, since new MY cars are out before the year starts, sometimes a lot before. For example, my 2010 Insight was actually made in March 2009 and sold to the first owner in April 2009. So by its MY matched the year, it was nearly a year old. I bought it in Dec 2012 thinking I was getting a 2, almost 3 year old car. Once I was home and looked at DOM I was surprised to see it was actually closer to 4 years old.

Since rental companies don't usually have cars that are over a year old, maybe 18 months tops, I am iffy on whether or not they'd only have ones that are not recalled. Is there any car rental law that they can't rent a car that has an outstanding recall? Would it be too crazy to ask them to run the VIN though the recall check before accepting the car?

Dang, I was already anxious about calling, now I am really ramping it up by overthinking!

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
This may or may not help, lol.

After my crash I had USAA handle everything (I wasn't at fault, but I'm giving them money every month so they can deal with the paperwork). They allowed me to pick my Enterprise location, booked them, and then Enterprise called me to confirm when I was coming in. When I got to Enterprise they told me what my insurance coverage would allow me (an Altima), but the bright fellow must have figured out that I liked cars and somewhat reservedly offered that the BMW was available for an upgrade (he wasn't sure what the cost would be). I was responsible for the extra daily cost beyond what USAA paid, which worked out to $70 for the week so you better believe I did it, lol.

If your situation works in this manner you can ask the Enterprise (or other rental) employee what cars they have on hand at the moment, and explain your situation. They may not be able to hold exactly what you want until you get there, but when I was at Enterprise they were quietly making their shuttle SUV available for a mom with a car seat if she wanted it. They try to get you want you need.

2BunniesMommy

It was from the dealer.

Just when I thought most dealers were going the rental route. I really hope mine says we can just go to a local rental place and not make us drive to the dealership since it is a long way. They have gone above and beyond for us before, so I hope they do not let us down.

julia94115

UPDATE:

Am just home from the Honda dealer now....

I filled out the paperwork and then was sent to Enterprise to pick up a rental.
I was offered many cars that would fit three carseats across. Enterprise had me look at each car first to make sure it would fit my needs. (I did have special permission and a number from the Honda recall people where I called ahead of time to get an ok for a larger vehicle than the economy car the dealer was offering me. It was super fast, easy call.)

I am now in possession of a "BOAT" Chevy Traverse for the next however many months. It's going to be painful for my inner city driving and parking but MAN do I love the room inside!

The service manager said to me as I was leaving- "Make sure you like the car because you're going to be driving it for a while!"

StillThankful

I sold my Odyssey because of the stupid recall. I had a Canadian model and US dealers couldn't even touch it (which would have been nice to know when I BOUGHT it from a Honda dealership). I'm not at all upset at Honda though, in my opinion the blame here is with Takata. My husband works for BMW and they're having the same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a bunch of bologna they fed you. US dealers CAN touch it. My sister had a Canadian Model Odyssey that she purchased in the US. I had to deal with a transmission recall for her. I first called US Honda. Based on the VIN, they gave me Canada's Honda contact info. At the Canadian hub, the representative got her VIN and faxed over the open recall information to the particular US Honda dealer. So what I'm saying is that they can do what they want to do. Sorry you had to experience that.

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
Those of you who received a recall notice and were told "parts will be available later" did you call the dealers to ask for more instructions (i.e. how long to wait) or did they contact you? My car has been to both local Honda dealers so they for sure have my info and my recall notice said parts would be available in the summer.

Not sure how this will all proceed :/

julia94115

Those of you who received a recall notice and were told "parts will be available later" did you call the dealers to ask for more instructions (i.e. how long to wait) or did they contact you? My car has been to both local Honda dealers so they for sure have my info and my recall notice said parts would be available in the summer. Not sure how this will all proceed :/

I'm not sure what your question is.

I would just stay on top of it---call your dealer every couple of weeks starting in about a month and check on the status of the parts and ask if they've started repairs yet.

I know as the parts come in they will be fixing those who have rental vehicles first as that is costing them the most money. Then they will work down the list.

2BunniesMommy

Those of you who received a recall notice and were told "parts will be available later" did you call the dealers to ask for more instructions (i.e. how long to wait) or did they contact you? My car has been to both local Honda dealers so they for sure have my info and my recall notice said parts would be available in the summer.

Not sure how this will all proceed :/

We only got a letter for one of our cars, but I know both are recalled because I have been checking the VINs. The one that they have sent the letter for has been in for routine service and they did make sure to let us know of the recall, but any other communication with the dealership about it has been initated by me.

When I talked to someone yesterday, he let me know that they are starting to get the parts in and have been receiving 3-5 units per day and expect that number to increase.

It took a lot of calls to get set up for a rental without having to go to the dealership. The dealership that I use has a contract with their local Hertz, but when they called the Hertz that is local to me they were unwilling to work anything out. When he called to let me know this, they again wanted to schedule me to go in to the dealership, 90 miles away. I asked if there was anyway they could make an exception and use Enterprise because it is just not possible for my husband and I along with 2 other trusted adults to get a day off together to take in both cars and return with both of them along with both rentals.

They were able to let me take pics, showing no damage to the cars, the mileage, and the VINs and Enterprise was more than happy to work with them and gave them a better rate than Hertz was as well. He called me yesterday after he talked to Enterprise and had 2 confirmation numbers. I let him know that due to my work schedule vs DHs that we wouldn't be able to get there until Monday and that was not a problem for them and I offered to send in update pics of both odometers once we actually have other cars to drive, so I will be doing that. I am excited to have something different for a couple months or however long it will be. I am worried though, because from some things I have read about the recall, the passenger side airbags likely have the same problem.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC