Vent Honda Disappointment

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
Thanks for the info - fortunately my Honda dealer is only 20 minutes away versus 90 miles (yikes). Sounds like I have to get on the horn and bug them.

My dad said that the repair only took a few hours, so honestly I'll probably just drop my car off, have my friend meet me with her kids, and then go to the zoo for the day. What a pain to be dealing with your two cars and two rentals. Oy.

ADS

julia94115

Another update:

My Honda CRV is all fixed! The recalled part came in on Monday and on Tuesday they had the part installed in under 30 minutes.

So hopefully that's the end of my Honda airbag recall ordeal!!

2BunniesMommy

Another update:

My Honda CRV is all fixed! The recalled part came in on Monday and on Tuesday they had the part installed in under 30 minutes.

So hopefully that's the end of my Honda airbag recall ordeal!!

Glad it doesn't take too long once they get in there to do it. Will have to figure out whether we make two trips or one when parts are in for us. I HATE driving out of town. I get really stressed in traffic, when I am the passenger I have the option of covering my eyes and taking deep breaths, as a driver, obviously only the less effective of the two is an option and certainly no Xanax which I do need in certain places.

The city with the dealership is the further from home and the busiest city that I can actually drive to and in, but it is really hard for me. But, it would be more cost effective to suck it up and DH drive one and me drive the other the same day because that will only have us needing to eat out of town one or two meals vs 3 or 4 that we would need to if we make 2 trips and of course one of us will have to take a day off work each time, so there is that cost factor as well.

I could suck it up and go without him on one of my days off and have him go without me on one of his days off, but I get even more stressed if the kids are on the road without me (has only happened once and that was because the car needed service, we had the appt. for it out of town, and I came down with strep throat, I was too sick to even worry that day.) Also, if I went without him, I wouldn't have to option of someone else driving if I got overwhelmed. Pretty much just thinking out loud here, but if anyone wants to brainstorm ideas or tell me to get over it and suck it up, feel free to. ;)

julia94115

Glad it doesn't take too long once they get in there to do it. Will have to figure out whether we make two trips or one when parts are in for us. I HATE driving out of town. I get really stressed in traffic, when I am the passenger I have the option of covering my eyes and taking deep breaths, as a driver, obviously only the less effective of the two is an option and certainly no Xanax which I do need in certain places.

The city with the dealership is the further from home and the busiest city that I can actually drive to and in, but it is really hard for me. But, it would be more cost effective to suck it up and DH drive one and me drive the other the same day because that will only have us needing to eat out of town one or two meals vs 3 or 4 that we would need to if we make 2 trips and of course one of us will have to take a day off work each time, so there is that cost factor as well.

I could suck it up and go without him on one of my days off and have him go without me on one of his days off, but I get even more stressed if the kids are on the road without me (has only happened once and that was because the car needed service, we had the appt. for it out of town, and I came down with strep throat, I was too sick to even worry that day.) Also, if I went without him, I wouldn't have to option of someone else driving if I got overwhelmed. Pretty much just thinking out loud here, but if anyone wants to brainstorm ideas or tell me to get over it and suck it up, feel free to. ;)

Remind me again- how far away is the closest dealer?

robbertbobbert

Do I need my recall notice to get the fix done? The notice said they'd send another letter with more info when the parts come in, but if they're already getting them I'd love to have it fixed before I get too much more pregnant. The airbag issue freaks me out.

julia94115

Do I need my recall notice to get the fix done? The notice said they'd send another letter with more info when the parts come in, but if they're already getting them I'd love to have it fixed before I get too much more pregnant. The airbag issue freaks me out.

I did not need mine. Just call your dealer/service. They will check your VIN and tell you it's a recall and then ask them how to proceed.

2BunniesMommy

Remind me again- how far away is the closest dealer?
90 miles

I did not need mine. Just call your dealer/service. They will check your VIN and tell you it's a recall and then ask them how to proceed.

Yes, this is how it was for mine. I let them know I had only gotten one letter but knew both were recalled by checking the VIN and they checked both for themself before putting me into the queue to get fixed. I am sure with me insisting on having rentals, that puts me higher on the list than I otherwise would be. Now I guess I just wait for them to call and let me know when my turn is up and schedule the service after that. No need for the letter though.

2BunniesMommy

Yesterday didn't go as planned, but we did get to Enterprise today and got our rentals.

DH has a black 2016 Ford Escape and I have a white 2016 Chevrolet Trax. Both have back up cameras, which is great! Both are also nicer than our Insights and I worry we will be spoiled. Oh well. Now we wait for our parts to be in at Honda.

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
I worry we will be spoiled.

My rental 328i in January messed me up REAL bad. Good luck :D

I emailed my local dealer and they said that I'll get another notice when parts are available for my car. They also offered a loaner, but it's so dry here that I doubt that my car will have a problem and I rather a loaner go to someone who is truly worried. And, I absolutely have to have a flat load floor for my cake deliveries so unless they gave me another Fit I can't make a loaner work :(

2BunniesMommy

My rental 328i in January messed me up REAL bad. Good luck :D

I emailed my local dealer and they said that I'll get another notice when parts are available for my car. They also offered a loaner, but it's so dry here that I doubt that my car will have a problem and I rather a loaner go to someone who is truly worried. And, I absolutely have to have a flat load floor for my cake deliveries so unless they gave me another Fit I can't make a loaner work :(

I bet it did! :D That must have been awesome. When I was checking their lot over the weekend I saw a Dodge Challenger that I knew DH would LOVE for us to get. Of course we didn't. Was also hoping that he might have been offered a truck, but when I went online to look at prices by category I knew trucks and vans wouldn't be an option.

The Challenger wasn't even there anymore when we got there, so no even trying for an upgrade. There also were no economy cars over the weekend when I was looking. I was hoping if we got there early enough Monday morning they wouldn't have any back yet and we'd get something nicer just due to lack of supply. But, like I said earlier, Monday didn't go as planned and we finally made it on Tuesday. We pulled in and I saw a Ford Focus, a Chevrolet Cruze, and a Nissan that I didn't look close enough to see if it was a Sentra or Versa. I figured we would get 2 from those 3 and hoped not the Nissan because we rented a Versa in November when we went to buy our 2nd Insight and neither DH nor I cared for it. Also, I have owned 2 2000 Focuses, so would not have minded trying out a new one, and Cruze was on my list of possible cars to buy before we found and went with the 1st Insight, so would have been fun to try one of those as well, since I have never even been in one.

We were so sure we were getting the economy cars as our rentals, all 3 (MIL took us, she was picking up the girls for lunch so we asked for a ride to Enterprise to save us from making multiple trips, and she and the kids stuck around because they were curious to see what we got) of us were quite surprised when we ended up with the small SUVs. Will be a fun change for sure. One funny thing with the Trax is the cargo space, well without any seats folded down, is less than, or at least harder to use, than the Insights. The Trax does have a ton of room if you only have the driver in it because both rear seats fold flat as well as the front passenger seat. However, with the back seats in use, it was really hard just to get my big folding camp chair in there there. Glad this is the last week of soccer for my girls and very glad we are well past using strollers.

I'm also not sure if I am as in love with the Trax after doing a lot of driving yesterday. In the Insights, the seats are low to the floor. The Trax is higher up and my right thigh is sore! It is similar position-wise to the vans that we had for many years and I don't remember being sore then, so maybe it will just take a couple days to get used to and I won't notice.

Our climate is even more dry than yours, so I know the risk of failure with our cars is lower than it could be, but I can't help it with the "what-ifs?" and I also figure having us with rentals will get us higher on the fix list than people that Honda is not shelling out money on rentals for.

2BunniesMommy

DH still has the Escape, but sadly I no longer have the Trax.

It did some crazy stuff and the check engine light came on, so I had to return it. I was loving it, it was so fun to drive. They gave me a Nissan Juke instead, but I hated it and DD1 didn't fit quite right in it without a booster and too tall with a booster, so I took it back less than 24 hours after I got it and asked for something that I felt she'd be safer in.

I will be giving our local Enterprise an awesome yelp review when this is over. They were so super nice and understanding. The guy grabbed all the keys and gave me pick of anything they had in that afternoon. Said he was very sorry that they only had sedans and no SUVs at the time. Totally not a big deal since we don't have SUVs to begin with. He was willing to let me try the kids in as many cars as we needed to, but I went with the 2nd one we tried, a super new 2016 Hyundai Sonata, it only has 1800 miles on it. I don't love it, but I do feel safe in it and feel that the kids are safe in it.

Not loving it is a good thing, makes me want my car back, so not worried about being disappointed about having to give it back like I was with the Trax.

Still no word from Honda on when they will be able to get our cars in for the airbag fix. I thought for sure with them paying nearly $100/day for us to have 2 rentals that our cars would be bumped way up on the list...that was actually one reason I worked so hard to get set up with the rentals. I am glad to have them since we are going on a short trip very soon and while I will of course be worried because that is just how I am in traffic and all, at least I don't have a recalled airbag to worry about. (at least I hope not! since we can only hope that the airbags in new cars are fine)

2BunniesMommy

Has anyone else seen that quite a few passenger side airbags have been recalled now as well.

I saw yesterday that they have been, including Insights 2010-2014. Since I have a 2010 and 2012, I checked the VINs when I got home. As of now, just the 2010 is included in the recall, but I plan to keep an eye out for the 2012 as well, I fully expect it to be also since as far as I can tell they use the same inflator.

The time expected for parts for the new recall is "late summer/fall" and the website also showed that parts are not yet available for the driver's side for my cars. I figure by the time I have my cars fixed they will have spent enough on the rentals to buy me at least 1 new car, or at least to cover what I owe on mine. It is just crazy. We are not enjoying having to buy so much more gas and are missing our hybrids.

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
I just checked and now my passenger side is now recalled (I haven't gotten a mailed notice yet). To be honest I've forgotten about the recall completely until you brought it up, lol.

I'm still ok driving my car, but I'd certainly like to get it fixed sooner or later.

julia94115

Gah- I just had mine in and they replaced the driver's bag under the recall.

Am currently out of the country I so don't know if we received a second notice for the passenger bag to be replaced. Geesh- this is really something!

Anyone know if 2007 CRV passenger side has been recalled? (Am on my phone with sporadic snail-speed internet.)

2BunniesMommy

We got a call from Enterprise today that our contract is up Saturday. They said that they have already talked to Honda and no ETA on parts and they said to extend it another 30 days. So, Enterprise just needs us to go in on Saturday to sign new paperwork and record the current mileage. This is crazy.

brightredmtn

I got a call last week from my dealership saying they have the part but we need the rental van for a trip this weekend so I haven't called back yet :eek: :duck:. Now I wonder if my 2009 side airbag has been recalled, ugh!

2BunniesMommy

I got a call last week from my dealership saying they have the part but we need the rental van for a trip this weekend so I haven't called back yet :eek: :duck:. Now I wonder if my 2009 side airbag has been recalled, ugh!

I wanted to clarify that I mean my front airbag for the passenger side is recalled. I do believe yours is as well.

2009 crv's have been added to that newest recall as well, so it is just a matter of whether or not your VIN has been added yet or not, but I'd expect it to be.

I'd totally hang on to the van if needed for a weekend trip as well. ;) However, if your other airbag is also recalled, I'd think you will have it longer anyway, unless they have parts for both airbags available. I assume it is the same part, but not sure.

julia94115

Yeah- just call them and tell them you're out of town and can bring the car in on whatever date works for you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC