Vent Honda Disappointment

brightredmtn

I drive an 09 CRV and have been following the Takata recall very closely, checking my VIN every so often to see if my car is included which it wasn't. I just got a letter that my car has been recalled and that myself or passengers could be killed by the airbag, oh and that Honda won't have parts until this summer. It went on to read that if I am interested I could call my local dealership about getting a rental or be reimbursed for one. I called and am scheduled to get a rental on Monday. I have to find a place to keep the Honda though :rolleyes:.

I'm so frustrated that Honda has let me drive around with the potentially faulty airbag since November 18,2014 :mad: (when NHTSA called for the recalls)! I understand this recall is of a giant nature but they should have been more forthcoming earlier.

Anyone else affected?

Last edited:
ADS

featherhead

We have the recall on the recall. I'm not sure if that's the same one or not. We've been waiting many months, and the parts should finally be there next week.

julia94115

Garrrrh!!! Us too, in fact BOTH of our vehicles, one CRV and one Saab. In our Saab airbag recall it says not to let anyone sit in the passenger seat until fixed.
We have been waiting on that airbag for over 18 months. This is ridiculous.
Grrrrrr........

SavsMom

Unfortunately many auto makers use different parts distributors for their vehicles. In this case Takata was the "go to" for a number of auto manufacturers (not just Honda). I understand your frustration so rather than focus on what could have happened (but didn't) focus on what they are doing to ensure you are safe - getting you a rental car and fixing your CR-V.

MUTigers

OP, I feel your pain. I'm not part of this recall but my Saturn was part of the big ignition switch recall. It took over a year to get it fixed and I was never offered a rental or anything, the dealership was very nonchalant about the whole thing. I called right after I got my recall notice, they said it would take several months. 9 months later I called them back and it was "oh, the part has been here 6 months, why didn't you call earlier?" Ummm, isn't that your job? Anyway, it finally got fixed and everyone is fine but it was stressful to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steph

My old Pilot was affected but I happen to get it fixed early (right when the recalls started a few years ago). A friend of mine has a CRV and she has to wait until summer as well. The parts are back ordered. She was given a rental as well.

robbertbobbert

My 07 CRV is affected by the same recall and we have to wait until summer for parts as well. I'm trying not to stress about it because there's nothing I can do, but it is quite frustrating.

katymyers

I sold my Odyssey because of the stupid recall. I had a Canadian model and US dealers couldn't even touch it (which would have been nice to know when I BOUGHT it from a Honda dealership). I'm not at all upset at Honda though, in my opinion the blame here is with Takata. My husband works for BMW and they're having the same problem.

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
I'm in the same boat - I wasn't part of the recall and last week received my notice. They told me summer too.

But, I live in a dry climate and it seems that the biggest issues were in humid areas, so I'll take my chances until the parts come in.

How long are they providing a rental for?

2BunniesMommy

Both of our cars are recalled as well. 2010 Insight and 2012 Insight.

We only had the 2010 when we first heard of the recall and it wasn't added to the list until Feb of this year. I fully expected that it would be at some point and had been checking the VIN whenever I thought to. We bought the 2012 just in Nov, also knowing full well that it likely would have the airbag recall.

We just got the letter for the 2010 last week and haven't seen anything on the 2012 yet.

I will probably ask them to cover a rental for us for any out of town trips, now that we are finally recalled. Just locally I am not sure if it is worth the trouble because the chances of getting in an accident that would set off the airbags is not as likely. Now as I typed that, I am having all the same second thoughts as when I considered turning my kids forward before I actually did, then decided not to once I felt the way I do know...so I may ask for a rental until fixed. I wouldn't forgive myself if something happened and I could have had one. Biggest issue for us is how far the nearest Honda dealer is. If they can set us up with a rental in our own town that could work, but if we have to go there to take care of it, it would not be easy and of course would have to drive the recallec car at highway speeds to get there.

brightredmtn

Unfortunately many auto makers use different parts distributors for their vehicles. In this case Takata was the "go to" for a number of auto manufacturers (not just Honda). I understand your frustration so rather than focus on what could have happened (but didn't) focus on what they are doing to ensure you are safe - getting you a rental car and fixing your CR-V.

I understand it is going to take time to make all of the replacement parts, that there probably aren't enough rental cars in the world to give one to every recalled car and that this is really all Takata's fault. However Honda still should have told everyone affected. There are several things that people can do to mitigate their risk, especially if they're a two car household like mine. I wonder why NHTSA didn't require everyone be notified right away?

How long are they providing a rental for?

Until the part comes in.

How would I go about getting a rental until the part comes in? What do I say to Honda?

Once you get your letter it says to call your local dealership. They asked me what I wanted them to do. I said "give me a brand new car" lol. When that was declined I asked if perhaps they maybe did have some parts in stock and that they fix it right away. They really don't have any yet so then asked for a rental since the letter stated the local dealership could arrange for one.

The dealership set up a time for me to come there first and then they'll take me to Enterprise. They offered to pick me up since I have to keep the CRV.

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
I'm ok waiting for the part and the dealer is convenient, but snarky me wants to ask for a rental because the Enterprise the dealers use has a BMW 328i that is so much fun. I upgraded to it when my car was in for crash repairs and I wouldn't mind taking it for a spin again :D

brightredmtn

I'm ok waiting for the part and the dealer is convenient, but snarky me wants to ask for a rental because the Enterprise the dealers use has a BMW 328i that is so much fun. I upgraded to it when my car was in for crash repairs and I wouldn't mind taking it for a spin again :D

I'm actually secretly crossing my fingers for a mini van. I'd take a BMW too assuming I could get both car seats in it :).

littleangelfire

Honda is being nicer than Toyota then. My husband's Corolla is affected, got notified months and months ago, they said not to have anyone ride in the passenger seat till fixed but that it could be a while before parts came in. Such a pain! No rental offered, though

Dillipop

Where is there a comprehensive list of all affected vehicles? From what I can tell, the 08 Sienna and 12 Mazda5 are not affected?

2BunniesMommy

How would I go about getting a rental until the part comes in? What do I say to Honda?

The letter I got didn't mention being to get a rental, so I figured I just had to live with it and hope for the best. We had the car in 2 weeks ago tomorrow for an oil change and they informed us of the recall at that time, but didn't offer a rental, just let us know that parts wouldn't be available until Summer.

I had to take the car back Thur of last week because they screwed when they did the oil change, all the oil came out when we were almost home and the car was filthy from it, so they were making it right with us by doing an exterior and under the hood detail for free. While checking the car in on Thur, the service advisor asked if I was aware of the recall and when I said yes he asked if I was just going to wait for the parts to come in. I then asked if there was another option and he said we could get a rental. Since I was down there with my sister and couldn't reach DH, I didn't want to make that choice. I wasn't sure if they'd want to keep our car or if we'd be going home in 2 cars, so I decided to wait until I could discuss it with DH and then contact Honda by phone and see if they can get us set up with a rental without us having to drive there again.

When I call, I will just say that I have a car (2 actually) that are part of the recall and I that I'd like to get a rental to use while waiting for parts.

Where is there a comprehensive list of all affected vehicles? From what I can tell, the 08 Sienna and 12 Mazda5 are not affected?

I'd check here.
http://www.airbagrecall.com/home/

2BunniesMommy

Sorry to post back to back.

I just found this site.

http://hondaairbaginfo.com/news-updates/a-message-to-our-customers-about-takata-airbags/

Says in that they will provide a loaner or rental. I would print it and take it in if they give any issues.

The thing that bugs me about this recall is that some automakers are saying no one should ride in the front passenger seat. If there is that much danger to the passenger that they are saying that, it makes me even more concerned that the one person who can't not be in the car is at even greater risk since the problem is with the driver's side airbag.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC