Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CPS Technician

Honda Disappointment

I drive an 09 CRV and have been following the Takata recall very closely, checking my VIN every so often to see if my car is included which it wasn't. I just got a letter that my car has been recalled and that myself or passengers could be killed by the airbag, oh and that Honda won't have parts until this summer. It went on to read that if I am interested I could call my local dealership about getting a rental or be reimbursed for one. I called and am scheduled to get a rental on Monday. I have to find a place to keep the Honda though .

I'm so frustrated that Honda has let me drive around with the potentially faulty airbag since November 18,2014 (when NHTSA called for the recalls)! I understand this recall is of a giant nature but they should have been more forthcoming earlier.

Anyone else affected?
    Last edited by brightredmtn; 03-31-2016 at 08:09 PM.
    DS - 11 Riding in an Incognito
    DD - Two Riding in a Graco Extend2Fit and Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Convertible

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Honda Disappointment

We have the recall on the recall. I'm not sure if that's the same one or not. We've been waiting many months, and the parts should finally be there next week.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by featherhead View Post
    We have the recall on the recall. I'm not sure if that's the same one or not. We've been waiting many months, and the parts should finally be there next week.
    That is very frustrating. Like it's not already a PITA enough to take you car in the first time.

Garrrrh!!! Us too, in fact BOTH of our vehicles, one CRV and one Saab. In our Saab airbag recall it says not to let anyone sit in the passenger seat until fixed.
    We have been waiting on that airbag for over 18 months. This is ridiculous.
    Grrrrrr........
    DD- Oct 2007

Unfortunately many auto makers use different parts distributors for their vehicles. In this case Takata was the "go to" for a number of auto manufacturers (not just Honda). I understand your frustration so rather than focus on what could have happened (but didn't) focus on what they are doing to ensure you are safe - getting you a rental car and fixing your CR-V.

DD - 12/07 - Backless Turbo
    DS - 9/13 - Boulevard

Carseat Crazy

OP, I feel your pain. I'm not part of this recall but my Saturn was part of the big ignition switch recall. It took over a year to get it fixed and I was never offered a rental or anything, the dealership was very nonchalant about the whole thing. I called right after I got my recall notice, they said it would take several months. 9 months later I called them back and it was "oh, the part has been here 6 months, why didn't you call earlier?" Ummm, isn't that your job? Anyway, it finally got fixed and everyone is fine but it was stressful to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My old Pilot was affected but I happen to get it fixed early (right when the recalls started a few years ago). A friend of mine has a CRV and she has to wait until summer as well. The parts are back ordered. She was given a rental as well.

Steph
    Mom to R (5-steps),
    E and A (riding in Nuna Pipas)

My 07 CRV is affected by the same recall and we have to wait until summer for parts as well. I'm trying not to stress about it because there's nothing I can do, but it is quite frustrating.
    Well... that was fast!
    Baby #1 due 10/1/16

I sold my Odyssey because of the stupid recall. I had a Canadian model and US dealers couldn't even touch it (which would have been nice to know when I BOUGHT it from a Honda dealership). I'm not at all upset at Honda though, in my opinion the blame here is with Takata. My husband works for BMW and they're having the same problem.

11. Thank You from:

I'm in the same boat - I wasn't part of the recall and last week received my notice. They told me summer too.

But, I live in a dry climate and it seems that the biggest issues were in humid areas, so I'll take my chances until the parts come in.

How long are they providing a rental for?

Senior Community Member 2BunniesMommy's Avatar

Both of our cars are recalled as well. 2010 Insight and 2012 Insight.

We only had the 2010 when we first heard of the recall and it wasn't added to the list until Feb of this year. I fully expected that it would be at some point and had been checking the VIN whenever I thought to. We bought the 2012 just in Nov, also knowing full well that it likely would have the airbag recall.

We just got the letter for the 2010 last week and haven't seen anything on the 2012 yet.

I will probably ask them to cover a rental for us for any out of town trips, now that we are finally recalled. Just locally I am not sure if it is worth the trouble because the chances of getting in an accident that would set off the airbags is not as likely. Now as I typed that, I am having all the same second thoughts as when I considered turning my kids forward before I actually did, then decided not to once I felt the way I do know...so I may ask for a rental until fixed. I wouldn't forgive myself if something happened and I could have had one. Biggest issue for us is how far the nearest Honda dealer is. If they can set us up with a rental in our own town that could work, but if we have to go there to take care of it, it would not be easy and of course would have to drive the recallec car at highway speeds to get there.

How would I go about getting a rental until the part comes in? What do I say to Honda?
    DD- Oct 2007

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by SavsMom View Post
    Unfortunately many auto makers use different parts distributors for their vehicles. In this case Takata was the "go to" for a number of auto manufacturers (not just Honda). I understand your frustration so rather than focus on what could have happened (but didn't) focus on what they are doing to ensure you are safe - getting you a rental car and fixing your CR-V.
    I understand it is going to take time to make all of the replacement parts, that there probably aren't enough rental cars in the world to give one to every recalled car and that this is really all Takata's fault. However Honda still should have told everyone affected. There are several things that people can do to mitigate their risk, especially if they're a two car household like mine. I wonder why NHTSA didn't require everyone be notified right away?

Quote Originally Posted by shellebelle View Post
    How long are they providing a rental for?
    Until the part comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by julia94115 View Post
    How would I go about getting a rental until the part comes in? What do I say to Honda?
    Once you get your letter it says to call your local dealership. They asked me what I wanted them to do. I said "give me a brand new car" lol. When that was declined I asked if perhaps they maybe did have some parts in stock and that they fix it right away. They really don't have any yet so then asked for a rental since the letter stated the local dealership could arrange for one.

The dealership set up a time for me to come there first and then they'll take me to Enterprise. They offered to pick me up since I have to keep the CRV.

I'm ok waiting for the part and the dealer is convenient, but snarky me wants to ask for a rental because the Enterprise the dealers use has a BMW 328i that is so much fun. I upgraded to it when my car was in for crash repairs and I wouldn't mind taking it for a spin again

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by shellebelle View Post
    I'm ok waiting for the part and the dealer is convenient, but snarky me wants to ask for a rental because the Enterprise the dealers use has a BMW 328i that is so much fun. I upgraded to it when my car was in for crash repairs and I wouldn't mind taking it for a spin again
    I'm actually secretly crossing my fingers for a mini van. I'd take a BMW too assuming I could get both car seats in it .

You could totally get two seats in there, but the LATCH is kind of obnoxious. Worth it though!

Honda is being nicer than Toyota then. My husband's Corolla is affected, got notified months and months ago, they said not to have anyone ride in the passenger seat till fixed but that it could be a while before parts came in. Such a pain! No rental offered, though

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Where is there a comprehensive list of all affected vehicles? From what I can tell, the 08 Sienna and 12 Mazda5 are not affected?

CCO 4/15

Quote Originally Posted by julia94115 View Post
    The letter I got didn't mention being to get a rental, so I figured I just had to live with it and hope for the best. We had the car in 2 weeks ago tomorrow for an oil change and they informed us of the recall at that time, but didn't offer a rental, just let us know that parts wouldn't be available until Summer.

I had to take the car back Thur of last week because they screwed when they did the oil change, all the oil came out when we were almost home and the car was filthy from it, so they were making it right with us by doing an exterior and under the hood detail for free. While checking the car in on Thur, the service advisor asked if I was aware of the recall and when I said yes he asked if I was just going to wait for the parts to come in. I then asked if there was another option and he said we could get a rental. Since I was down there with my sister and couldn't reach DH, I didn't want to make that choice. I wasn't sure if they'd want to keep our car or if we'd be going home in 2 cars, so I decided to wait until I could discuss it with DH and then contact Honda by phone and see if they can get us set up with a rental without us having to drive there again.

When I call, I will just say that I have a car (2 actually) that are part of the recall and I that I'd like to get a rental to use while waiting for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillipop View Post
    Where is there a comprehensive list of all affected vehicles? From what I can tell, the 08 Sienna and 12 Mazda5 are not affected?
    I'd check here.
    http://www.airbagrecall.com/home/

Sorry to post back to back.

I just found this site.

http://hondaairbaginfo.com/news-upda...akata-airbags/

Says in that they will provide a loaner or rental. I would print it and take it in if they give any issues.

The thing that bugs me about this recall is that some automakers are saying no one should ride in the front passenger seat. If there is that much danger to the passenger that they are saying that, it makes me even more concerned that the one person who can't not be in the car is at even greater risk since the problem is with the driver's side airbag.

23. Thank You from: