Rear Facing Radian Leaning

mom of six

My friend has my old Raidan installed rear-facing with the seat belt for her nearly 3 year old daughter and it is leaning. I know this is a known issue and that it is caused by the geometry of the locked seat belt. There is a thread/blog post somewhere that describes why the lean happens and how to use the locking clip. I would like to send it to her so she can correct the problem. My friend lives in Missouri and I am in Washington State so I can't give her hands on help.

Can anyone quickly lay their hands on a link to that thread/blog post.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Leaning A LITTLE is ok. If it's bothering her she can certainly try a locking clip: http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

A warning, Diono's instructions (in the manual) say they want the locking clip within 1/2 inch, not one inch, and the low nature of the belt path often makes using a locking clip on a rear facing Radian difficult. Twisting the buckle stalk is usually necessary.

mom of six

That is the one I remembered reading. Thanks so much.

As far as how much it is leaning...I will have her take a picture. I have lots of Radian experience (I've owned 4 over the years) but she is too far away to help personally. I told her that using a locking clip usually involves bruised knuckles, prehaps blood and definitely swear words. We'll see how she does. I am just proud of her for keeping her daughter rear facing this long.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If it's still in firm contact with the vehicle seat on both sides, not lifting off, and not worsening over time to the point it will lift off, it's ok to tilt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC