Chase harness

Care

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but a long time reader of the blog. I was given a Evenflo Chase car seat by my in-laws (2013 manufacture date). We were thinking of this possibly being a second seat for my mom's car. I read that it's not a great one for a booster but my son is still using the harness. He's 41 months, about 38" tall (he just outgrew rear facing in his Evenflo Symphony DXL) and only 28 lbs.

So weirdly enough I've never seen a seat where the bottom harness straps are almost near the middle of the seat instead of closer to the back. So when the harness is used the bottom part goes more over his legs instead of closer to hips. I'll try to give a link of a picture so you can see what I mean.

I'm also in Canada so I don't know if that makes a difference. https://goo.gl/photos/i9Qe8TRApJh5HJ8S6

Also, if I decided instead to buy a second seat would I be better getting something like the Graco Nautilus? Would I actually be able to use the backless booster when he's older or do people usually end up getting another anyway. I'm just not sure if I do need one if I should get something more affordable like the Evenflo Maestro or pay more but get more use out of the Nautilus...

TIA!
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Welcome!

This kind of harness design is common to many of Evenflo's newer seats as well as a few other brands. It seems to improve testing since it is getting so much use. It is what it is and it's fine. :)

I have a personal preference for dedicated boosters rather than combination seats in booster mode. I find them easier to use and often likely to fit better.

The seat they gave you was new when they got it right? If the history checks out and the seat installs well I'd probably just use that-free is good. :)

Care

Welcome!

This kind of harness design is common to many of Evenflo's newer seats as well as a few other brands. It seems to improve testing since it is getting so much use. It is what it is and it's fine. :)

I have a personal preference for dedicated boosters rather than combination seats in booster mode. I find them easier to use and often likely to fit better.

The seat they gave you was new when they got it right? If the history checks out and the seat installs well I'd probably just use that-free is good. :)

Thank you. :)

Yes, they bought it new and they've never had an accident. It was very rarely used, probably 10 times or less.

I didn't realize this about the straps. Our seat is EF and manufactured within months but ours doesn't fit like that and neither has any seat we used when we fostered. It seems so weird to me because if that strap actually went under the legs it would be past his bum and at his legs. It seems so weird. I thought maybe it was because he is very tiny, but if that is normal then I guess I will have to get used to it. If it actually helps in protecting him then I am all for it. I did email the company but I hadn't heard back and I was getting anxious.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It was a rolling change and not implemented on all seats at once. So some changed before others. :)

I have found emailing Evenflo rarely gets me a response- don't know why. Calling works better. :)

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have found emailing Evenflo rarely gets me a response- don't know why. Calling works better. :)

There's no toll free line from Canada...but they will call you back. But, you have to make the long distance call to the US to begin with and wait on hold until you get a real person. I have heard that if you post on their Facebook page requesting a call back - or perhaps message them if their page allows it to keep your number private - that can work.

Care

They actually responded to my email. I didn't call because I wanted them to see the picture if possible. They said it was normal and fine. :)

I did have to call them a couple times and the first time I didn't even realize it was a US number. The second time (just last week) the rep told me it was long distance to the US and offered to call me back (after being on hold for quite a while). Thankfully I have US calling so it didn't cost me. I had to order more styrofoam for the leg part of my Symphony. I also ordered cup holders/arm rests for the Chase. :dance:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC