Kid drama about seat placement

lilstar

We have an 06 odyssey and 4 kids. The younger harnessed kids in the captains seats, and the 6&9yos boostered in the back. Backless amp for 6yo, and incognito for 9yo. 9yo insists that she cannot sit on the passenger side. Says stuff like "it makes my back turn towards the window" or something. She cant clearly articulate WHY, so idk if she just got used to the driver side and it just feels weird, or what.

Now 6yo is copying, and we have car drama every single time. I dont think he cares, i think he just sees something his sister values and wants to compete for it. Whoever ends up not getting the preferred seat sits in the center spot as opposed to giving in. I really need them to have a little bit of personal space, and get one of them okay with using the passenger side, because the car behavior is currently awful.

Im wondering, has anyone ever heard that the 3rd row, passenger side is less comfortable than the driver side in an 06 odyssey? I can see that there's some differences. Is it a normal complaint or are my kids just dramatic? (Likely ) Is there anything i can do, safely? Position a throw pillow or folded blanket strategically? I figure anything aoft i use is fair game, provided it is on the outside of the seat belt and doesnt impact belt position /fit, yes?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

ADS

jjordan

I can't weigh in on the comfort of your back seat, but I suspect that you are right and it's more about drama than a valid complaint. (I have a 9 and 7 year old...) What I might do is have each kid old enough to express a preference tell me (separately) their top two places to sit and then redistribute kids accordingly if possible. Otherwise take turns with the preferable seats, maybe a 1 week at a time rotation or something like that.

Gotta love the kid drama... Good luck!

mping

I have an '09 and two in boosters. I so hear you! Mine are ridiculous about their seating! No advice but I can commiserate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I would do everything in my power to get the 6yo into the passenger side. Sounds like your 9yo has a legit complaint (I know I have preferences about which side I am on too! It has to do with seatbelt geometry for me.) and your 6yo is just copying. I would sit down your 9yo and tell her that you think she should sit on the driver side, but that it's important that she not gloat about it to her brother. With any luck, the 6yo will forget that he "lost."

Another idea would be to harness the 6yo, if he fits. If there is something that he notices is weird about the seat belt in that spot, maybe he will forget about it after being back in a harnessed seat for awhile.

bnsnyde

Our fight and cry if someone looks out their WINDOW. !!!

I don't think there is a difference in sides from what you say other than preference.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I can tell you that the two sides are different because of the shape of the stuff on the side and the 60/40 split.

I used only a high back booster in that passenger side spot. Maybe try that for 6 year old? Or if one of the harnessed kids can buckle themselves or the 9 year old can buckle them properly move them back there? I used to just reach back through the gap to help do the crotch buckle on the frontier back there if needed (and the chest clip she could do herself. We didn't loosen and tighten each time.)

mom of six

Any car sick issues?

When I was a kid I fought car sickness a lot. When it was just my family I rode on the passenger side and got used to it. Occasionally, when with other people, I would ride on the drivers side and get sick. No puking, but upset stomach and headache. I was old enough to know how to manage it but it was still annoying. I think my body regulated itself to me looking slightly to my left (out the front window) to get my bearings and when my orientation was changed by changing seats my body could not accommodate. Maybe she can't put it into words. I didn't really figure out the connection until I was about 13.

Otherwise, in our car we have a rotating seating schedule. One month here, one month there and so forth.

Dillipop

I've resorted to assigned seating in my van. DD must sit in the red booster second row middle and DN must sit in the orange booster third row passenger. I no longer allow switching seats, even if both agree. Too much drama.

DS1 sits middle 3rd row, DS2 sits passenger middle, DS3 sits driver middle, and DN2 gets driver third row. Non negotiable where they sit.

I do allow DD to use whatever HBB she wants if she is the only one in the car though. The

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Bribery/incentive? Kid who sits passenger gets to pick the first song/the DVD/the vegetable at dinner...? (When I watched my passel of boys, picking songs was a big deal and I could motivate with first pick/extra pick/miss a pick/going to give your brother your turn to pick lol.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC