Forward of seat bight seat belt

tl01

I have a current model Chevy Tahoe as a rental car. Last night while unloading my gear I noticed the seat belts for the back seat. I have never see a seat belt buckle so far in front of a seat bight. That might make this car a nightmare for car seats in that seating position. Luckily I could install my seat with LATCH and avoid the whole problem.

Has anyone seen these buckles and can they be used with car seats? The buckle was for the 2nd row driver side seat.

Thanks!

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My Chevy Venture has a forward-of-the-bight ALR lapbelt in the middle seat of the middle row. It is horrid. RF seats install ok, but the Radian won't install there FF, so when it comes time for DD1 to be FF I don't know what we will do.

ignora

Senior Community Member
I have a current model Chevy Tahoe as a rental car. Last night while unloading my gear I noticed the seat belts for the back seat. I have never see a seat belt buckle so far in front of a seat bight. That might make this car a nightmare for car seats in that seating position. Luckily I could install my seat with LATCH and avoid the whole problem.

Has anyone seen these buckles and can they be used with car seats? The buckle was for the 2nd row driver side seat.

Thanks!

My mom has a 2003 Tahoe. I've never had any problem installing my seats in her car with the belts... both rf and ff. In fact, I had a harder time in her car when I tried to use LATCH.

tl01

I think the seat belts are different in the most recent model revision (release last year perhaps).

crunchierthanthou

yeah, the new ones are the worst I've seen (at least, in newer vehicles). Then to take away one more option, one of the two sets of lower anchors in the middle row is on the passenger outboard- as in, the seat that you have to fold to reach the third row. I was able to install a ff FPSVD in the driver's side outboard without much trouble, but I can see those buckles being a major issue with certain seats. :thumbsdown:

This is a GMC Yukon (they're clones):

forwardofthebight.jpg

tl01

Thanks for posting that pic. It really shows what I was trying to explain. If I purchased that vehicle w/o knowing how important that seat belt positioning could be... I'd be pretty angry. Why do they design the seat belts that way?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Why do they design the seat belts that way?

They fit adults better - stay low across the hips, less likely to ride up on the abdomen.

There's an interesting dilemma that vehicle manufacturers are going to have to address in the very near future... they're continuing to make vehicles safer for passengers, but they're not considering how increasing the safety to adult passengers interferes with installation of child safety seats. Many of the things that improve safety to an adult passenger, cause problems with car seats & booster seats, so this is really quite a big issue... The back seat is designed for 110lb adult, and it's great to find way to keep them safer in the vehicle... but most people buy larger vehicles because they have families and they will be using carseats and/or booster seats for many many years.

And this is why, when parents go car shopping, they should take their carseats with them and test them in the vehicle before buying - unless you're prepared to possibly replace all your seats or lose seating locations in the vehicle that you thought you had. (And read the vehicle manual before test fitting the seats, sometimes important info affects compatibility of a car seat & it's always good to know that beforehand instead of just thinking the car seat isn't going to work...)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The whole idea of LATCH was to be able to make car sats compatible with cars independent of the adult belts, Thus the adult belts could then be better designed to protect adults.

Now if the LATCH anchors actually went to high enough weights, and if they were available in all seating positions the theory might actually work.

ThreeBeans

The whole idea of LATCH was to be able to make car sats compatible with cars independent of the adult belts, Thus the adult belts could then be better designed to protect adults.

Now if the LATCH anchors actually went to high enough weights, and if they were available in all seating positions the theory might actually work.

Yup. IMO, every rear seating position in a vehicle should have an independent set of lower anchors and a top tether.

Minivans that only have two sets of lower anchors and three top tethers are absolutely. ridiculous.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC