3y 9m, 36", 30# wwyd?

melniemi

This is a hypothetical questions as my dd is only 9 months:whistle: If she follows her current growth pattern, she'll be 36", 30# at 3y9m, when my MA expires. I know she can change her growth pattern at any time, BUT since my MA expires then, would you feel comfortable putting her in a regent? or would you invest in another convertible to rf for another 5#? Thanks!

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I'd wait to see what's on the market at the time, but I would feel comfortable with having an almost 4 year old FFing.

skaterbabs

I'd wait and see. My kids' growth patterns didn't just change, but changed drastically, between one and three.

MomToEliEm

Since I have my 3y2m old DD in a regent, I would say I would feel comfortable with it. I was only able to rearface in our roundabout till 22 months due to height limits and I wasn't financially able to purchase another seat at that time to rearface longer. When she outgrew the roundabout, I bought her a regent and I feel she is very safe in there. I know rearfacing is best, but I felt she was safe forward facing. It was a parental decision that I am okay with.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Lol, I just asked this question about Evan b/c Ilana is about 2" away from outgrowing her seat so I was thinking ahead. He's almost 3 and 26# and 34". Ilana otoh was under the weight chart at 4 mos (9#13oz) and now at 1 is 50% all around. She's made the most dramatic change of all my kids though and it's just been in the last 2 mos she's done this. You never know.

melniemi

lol- thanks for humoring me! I think way too much about this stuff. I think I'll just keep my current 3yo in her ma and buy the baby her own and when 3yo's expires or she outgrows it, I'll reassess and see what's out there! And I know I will be well-informed, thanks to this board! I blame all of you for my obsession:love:

Last edited:

amyg530

man nobody likes to answer the hypothetical questions do they, lol :rolleyes:

i agree with the whole who knows what'll be avalible then, but you sound like me, just currious and trying to be prepared

that being said if today i had a kid with those stats and a MA that was expireing, i would be totally fine with a regent

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If (today, so not factoring in what seats might be available in three years) I had a child that age and size, I would be comfortable having her forward-facing in a good tethered seat in a safe car. If I could not tether or if I had a questionable vehicle, I might insist on keeping her rear-facing.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
man nobody likes to answer the hypothetical questions do they, lol :rolleyes:

i agree with the whole who knows what'll be avalible then, but you sound like me, just currious and trying to be prepared

that being said if today i had a kid with those stats and a MA that was expireing, i would be totally fine with a regent

Yeah, yeah, sure, sure... boooooring... :love:

That probably IS what will still be best, I just want a more exciting future... :whistle:

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I must be the only one that would buy a convertible to RF her for another 5 lbs. RF is the safest, after all, and I know that if I were ever in an accident with a kid FF who could have been RF and something happened to them, I'd never be able to forgive myself. So, as long as they fit height & weight into a convertible, that's what I'd do. When my kids hit 33 lbs in their Britax seats, I put them in a 35 lb RF convertible for those last 2 lbs, just because I want to make sure that I'm doing ALL that I can to make sure they're as safe as possible. The problem is always height, though. I'm so glad that the Radian is now to 35 lbs because it is practically the only convertible that is tall enough to get my kids to 35 lbs (except for the Intera, but I try to avoid that seat whenever I can!) And, everyone else is right... hopefully in 3 yrs we'll have a whole lotta new seats to choose from! :thumbsup:

Morganthe

Just out of curiosity, how are you guestimating her future growth pattern? Via percentile charts or by what she's been gaining in the last few months multiplied by years?

Reason why, percentages on growth charts are very iffy.
For instance -- At 9 months, dd was somewhere around the 35th % for height & 15th for weight, IIRC. By her 24th month, she was about 95th % for height & 45th for weight. (36" exactly ;) ) Not bad for a baby who began at under the 3rd% across the board. ;)

She continued her baby growth - 6" between 12 & 18 months. Then 3" between 18 & 24 months. Ever since, she's been exactly 3" per year and about 2-4lbs gained. (weight fluxuates a bit on her).

So basically, at 9 months (either by charts or her own pattern), there would have been no way to tell that at 3 years & 9 months, my dd would be at the stats listed in my siggy ;)

She's now 49 months, 42 1/2", and lordy knows what weight :p I'd say to relax and enjoy the ride a bit more before you start worrying. There's going to be a whole lot more wardrobe changes to deal with. :whistle:

melniemi

I asked the doc at her 9 mon check-up that if she continued on this growth curve, where would she be at 3.5? I know growth patterns change drastically.
DS1 - 50% across the board at almost every check. 16# at 6 months. Didn't hit 40# until 5! He is 48ish# at 7y 3m.
DS2 - 95% until age 3, he was a few ounces shy of 20# at 6 months and about 30# at 18 mon. But he didn't hit 40# until 2 months after turning 5!! Now at 6y 3m he is 44#.
DD1 - 95% until age 3 - very similar to DS2, but is currently 35-36# at 3y 4m, so she could very well hit 40# by 4:eek: My heaviest 4 yo yet!!
DD2 - 16# at 9 months! Much smaller than the others and gaining much slower. I thought I had huge kids until her!

I just like speculating into the future and wondering what I get to buy:whistle:

skaterbabs

I must be the only one that would buy a convertible to RF her for another 5 lbs.

No, I would too.

When I saw my kids' growth patterns changed radically, I do mean it. CJ at birth was 9 lbs 6 oz. He continued to be off the charts for years. Then, at three he was in the 70th percentile or so. By 7 he had dropped to the 40th. At ten he was in the 50th.

Joyjoy weighed 7 lbs 12 oz at birth. She was borderline failure to thrive and didn't hit 15 lbs until she was 6 mos old. At four she weighs 42 lbs.

You literally never know what your kid will do.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC