Recaro's answer to my lock-off problem

ZephyrBlue

I called Recaro a 3rd time and had to demand that someone call me back today, but I did get a response. Gayle just told me that the lock-offs weren't really "designed" to be used as lock-offs; they are merely belt guides and that I should be using my ALR belt system to "lock" my seatbelts. ARGGHHH!! I told her that I don't HAVE ALR belts and that I would have never bought the Como if I knew that the built in locking clips DID NOT LOCK the seatbelt. I told her that the manual says that they are indeed locking clips to be used with non-locking vehicle belts, and she said that that is because of an engineer that used to work there (apparantly he had a hand in the mis-wording of the manual). She told me that I would have to return the seat to the store where I purchased it, and that they have to take it back because Recaro said so :rolleyes:. I told her that I purchased it online and that I was NOT going to be responsible for the return shipping, and she was quick to tell me that I wouldn't be. She is double checking with another engineer, but is pretty sure that they are indeed just belt guides.

I am so pissed right now. :mad:

ADS

arly1983

Sorry, honey. That is soooooo frustrating.

At least they are going to make sure you get ALL of your money back.

Well, look at the bright side, just order a boyish cover (if you think you have to) and use the BV for 2.5 yr old.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Does a locking clip come with the Como? If it doesn't, then doesn't that mean it *must* have passed testing using it's "built-in lock-offs"?

I would also think a recall should be in the making. :(

ZephyrBlue

Arly, that's what we'll wind up doing :( I really really wanted the extra 2lbs RF, and the fact that the seat has higher harness slots, but I have to be able to put DS in DH's car.

And no, the Como does not come with a separate locking clip. Page 32 of the manual specifically states to use the "lock offs" if your vehicle has non-locking lap-shoulder belts. So I am thinking that it had to be tested w/the locking clips, right???

When Gayle calls back after checking w/the engineer, I'm going to tell her that I'd really rather go through Recaro to return the seat-I don't think that Baby On The Go should have to deal with the hassle, since they didn't manufacture the dumb thing :mad:

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Does a locking clip come with the Como? If it doesn't, then doesn't that mean it *must* have passed testing using it's "built-in lock-offs"?

I would also think a recall should be in the making. :(

Agreed. On both points. If it doesn't lock the belt with a built in lock-off then they must include a locking clip...hence the FPSVD vs. the Marathon.

I smell a recall coming.

chickenman

Recaro is really seeming like they are just a name and a fad or something, if they dont fix all these problems and make consumers happy. At least britax listens to people and changes there seats accordingly like how they reversed the locks off. my sisters 2003 jeep has a locking latchplate and an elr retractor. So I felt better using the lock offs on her britax roundabout in that car, since i installed it in the center wihtout lower anchors..

But it makes me wonder how carseats get certified before they are put out on the market.

ThreeBeans

But it makes me wonder how carseats get certified before they are put out on the market.

They don't. It's up to the manufacturers to test them to govt standards. NHTSA pulls them off the shelf from the store to test them.

And yes, if Gayle is correct (and Gayle, frankly seems like a bit of a TOTAL MORON, so it's not a given), this is a serious recall issue, potential serious injuries/fatalities, and NHTSA forms need to be filed NOW.

ZephyrBlue

I'm going to file a report w/NHTSA in the morning. Gayle told me that she would get back to me this afternoon, and I never heard back. This has really taught me a valuable lesson; stay with a company that I know and trust *sigh*

singingpond

Wow!! I posted on your other thread yesterday, but I never anticipated this as a possible response from Recaro :mad:

"Oh, we have these things that look like lockoffs, our manual says they're lockoffs, but....guess what.... they're NOT lockoffs."

And then, not to call you back AGAIN..... unbelievable.

I wonder if you'll get a better explanation or more help if/when you get past the infamous Gayle? Does the manual say anything about using an old-fashioned locking clip, as a possible alternative?

Just unbelievable.... after all, there are still those of us out here driving vehicles WITHOUT locking seatbelts....

Katrin

ZephyrBlue

Katrin, the manual explicitly states to use the built in lock-offs if you have non-retractable lap/shoulder belts. A separate lock-off is never mentioned. I was okay with dealing with the twisty straps because I love the seat, but with the lock-off problem, it's going back. To have a $250 seat with "pretend" lock-offs is ludicrous, IMO

Morganthe

I just can't believe Gayle's response to you! It's not as if Recaro reinvented the wheel. I know they have excellent lockoffs in the Young Sport, otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to sell in Europe. :confused: The Como & Signo ARE supposed to have them according to the adverts.

I wouldn't be suprised if you have a bum prototype seat with 'issues', and she's so clueless she spouts off before she really investigates a situation. :rolleyes:

I think she does more harm to the reputation of the company than any customer could do. :twocents::whistle:

But I can see why you want to return it straight to the company and end the travesty. It's ridiculous. :thumbsdown:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, the Start lockoffs are mighty solid...I've been fighting with mine for years (funny rotating mechanism, but solid...you know, they ARE just belt guides for kids over 40, do you think Gayle is just *desparately* confused about her products?)

Wineaux

Folks, it's time to go over Gayle's head now. She's just a CSR for Recaro USA, correct? Maybe the head CSR, but a CSR nonetheless, yes? Call Recaro USA and ask to speak to the office of the President. Tell him/her, or their assistant, the issues you have been having with both the seat AND Gayle. Inform him that you are filing a complaint with the NHSTA. Get people above Gayle involved.

Morganthe

Get people above Gayle involved.

Ahh, but she's the gatekeeper, iykwim! :rolleyes:

I called there last year and it's as if Recaro USA is solely interested in its Vehicle seats (Adult sport lines, not child safety seats). Trying to get any other person contacted was absolutely impossible.

I discovered their primary headquarters is located in Kaiserslautern, GE. If anyone's stationed within the KMC as Army or Ramstein's Air Force, perhaps they can go knock on some doors to get answers ;)

I'd do it for you, but 18 months is a heck of a long time to wait ;) :p

ThreeBeans

Gayle should be fired. She really should. She didn't understand the difference between lower anchors and rearfacing tethering and gave false information, she had no idea when the seats expired and gave false information, and she very well could be completely wrong about this.

That woman is dangerous. :mad:

gofastchickenwing

I missed your other post - what was your lockoff problem? I'm wondering if it's the same that I came across. I do have ALR, but the other day I noticed the "lock off" on the right side of the seat was open, and my daughter's seat swayed back and forth. We had to fully reinstall it. Same problem?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC