Need SUV advice for 3yo+newborn twins

U

Unregistered

Our twins will be born in May and we're in the market for a new/used car (2 sedans no longer going to cut it!). Our 3yo is in a Dinono Radian (RF for now but she'll probably flip around in the new car) and we've got Keyfits for the newborns. We definitely want to do 3 across.

We've been looking a lot at the Highlander and are pretty close to pulling the trigger. We're the type of people morally opposed to buying a new car, but from our research the previous body style (prior to 2015) has a very skinny center seat and might not fit our setup.

Anyone with an older Highlander do a similar setup? Or are we stuck with buying new?

Or should we be looking at a different car entirely? And no, you can't talk us into a minivan....

ADS

lgenne

And no, you can't talk us into a minivan....

Could we talk you into test driving a minivan? If you only drive one, it should be a 2011+ Honda Odyssey. 3 across in the second row? Just about anything will work (as long as you have something that works in the center seat at all, which isn't super tricky.)

Barring that, you should probably look at the Honda Pilot. With that many kids that young, you want as many tether anchors as you can get. Most other manufacturers put in the bare minimum of legally required tether anchors, or maybe one extra. In a Honda, every rear seat has a tether anchor.

jjordan

Congrats on the twins, that is very exciting!

Are you thinking that you'll need room for additional passengers (beyond your own immediate family)? Because if so, be aware that the back row of Highlander-sized SUV's is typically very tight for adults and rear facing car seats. And if not, then honestly a full-size sedan is typically easier for 3 car seats than fitting 3 across in the middle of a midsize SUV. (Plus a sedan has obvious advantages as far as cost and gas mileage.) The trunk space of a full-size sedan is significant and has the advantage of everything being contained, compared to an SUV where you have to be careful about potential projectiles.

I won't try to talk you into a minivan, but honestly for a family with 3 kids I don't see an advantage to a midsize SUV over a full size sedan, whereas I do see advantages to a minivan over a sedan.

As for SUV suggestions, perhaps if you can explain what it is that you like about the Highlander, then we can make other suggestions that will fit your wish list.

rin2809

It may be worth checking into the newer model Subaru Outback. We fit my oldest, my niece and my nephew in the back of my parent's 3-across pretty easily (Evenflo Maestro, 2 Harmony Dreamtime HBB with room to spare and buckling space for the older ones). I am pretty sure they have a 2014.

jwilliams

I agree that a mid size or full size sedan will likely be more usable and car seat friendly than a midsize SUV.

FWIW, I had a Radian and two KeyFits in a Honda Insight, and currently have two RF Radians and a Bubblebum in an Accord. I haven't reached my ERMERGERD I need a van point yet, although with unlimited funds and a less thrifty nature, I would probably have one already [emoji4]

You will likely be fine doing three across for awhile, probably three years or so. Then you'll have a booster in the mix and you may feel differently about that V-word...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mary_Ann

I agree that a mid size or full size sedan will likely be more usable and car seat friendly than a midsize SUV.

FWIW, I had a Radian and two KeyFits in a Honda Insight, and currently have two RF Radians and a Bubblebum in an Accord. I haven't reached my ERMERGERD I need a van point yet, although with unlimited funds and a less thrifty nature, I would probably have one already [emoji4]

You will likely be fine doing three across for awhile, probably three years or so. Then you'll have a booster in the mix and you may feel differently about that V-word...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes to all of this! We've had 3 across in my car since my third was born last summer. It's not fun! Unfortunately, a minivan wasn't in my budget as they are really expensive here in Canada.

If you really want an SUV, I'll also suggest a Honda Pilot.

rosey2007

I know you are not interested in a minivan, but maybe you should test drive one. I used to have one and loved the sliding door. You don't have to worry about a kid smacking the car parked next to you. I also loved being able to get inside the van to buckle the kids into their car seat when there was nasty weather. The other bonus for me was being able to change a kiddos diaper in the van as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC