Second Odyssey or Something Else?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Okay, this started off as a ridiculously long post, but rather than get into the background, I'll simplify things. It's much shorter now!

We have two vehicles: 2010 Odyssey and 2014 Civic. We're looking to trade one of those in to get either a new primary or secondary vehicle. IF we go for a primary vehicle, we're leaning toward a new/newer Odyssey, but I want to make sure there's not something else that would make more sense.

I have three kids, and they're probably on the older side for minivan shoppers: One kid is in a forward-facing harness, one in a booster, one in a seatbelt. THERE WILL BE NO MORE CHILDREN.

We go on at least one long (multi-week) roadtrip every year, plus several shorter roadtrips. We don't pack light. Besides luggage, we usually have a folding cot (5 people in one hotel room often necessitates it), a generator/air compressor thing, a cooler, etc.

We have loved the versatility and cargo space in our current Odyssey, which is why we're considering another one. BUT I'd also be open to an SUV at this point. Thing is, it would need to have room for all my kids to sit COMFORTABLY on a multi-week trip, AND have room for all our stuff.

Short of a Suburban, which is probably out of our price range, is there anything else that will meet our requirements? (We'd be looking to buy new or just barely used.)

ADS

lgenne

With kids that age, I might put a newer Sienna on the list, in case you find one that's a really good deal. It really is a nice minivan, just has some issues with car seats.

jjordan

I agree that a new Sienna would be worth a look since the lack of top tethers isn't likely to be an issue for you. Another thought would be a smaller-than-Suburban SUV with less cargo space, but planning to haul a small trailer along for trips where you'll have a lot of gear.

Still haven't heard much about the new Sedonas, but that might be a third minivan option.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
DH is kind of angry with Toyota, so a Sienna isn't likely. I love the look of the new Sedona, but we're concerned about longevity and resale on a Kia. If we were to go with another minivan, I'm not sure we'd even consider anything besides a Honda. We've been really, really happy with all the Hondas we've ever had.

Smaller SUV and a small trailer is a possibility, but that seems...kind of clunky.

I just priced 1- and 2-year-old Suburbans (the oddest we'd want to go) and...yeah, they're still really expensive and have a lot of miles on them already. :(

jjordan

We always buy used and drive our cars until they are ready to sell for scrap metal/parts, so lower resale is a good thing for us! But since it's a bad thing for you, then that is a point in favor of an Odyssey rather than a Sedona.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC