Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Combo seat with most recline

What's the combo seat with the most recline? It seems we have nothing available here. Have a Nautilus, it's a flop...literally. I know slump isn't dangerous, but her entire head hangs over which makes her body hang as well and she's not sitting nicely in the harness anymore even (yes, it's way tight enough). And she wakes up every time I turn a corner and yells because her head is just flopping around. We are making a 10 hour trip, so this is not going to work for us.

I want to try the Frontier, but don't want own a $420 paperweight. Defender? It's ugly as sin and I hate how there is just one colour option right now, well and even with 2, they are both ugly.

The vehicle seats are upright, we have 2 Peg convertibles and they can't be used forward facing in the vehicle as a huge chunk of the Peg is off the front and there is a giant gap (could fit a cat for sure) behind most of the seat. Only the topmost bit touches. This is how it is with every convertible I tried except the Roundabout 65, and I have not tried the Click Tight convertibles. But it seems she's basically at the top slots now so not sure I can even still sue it for our trip in a month.
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Combo seat with most recline

I've been extremely happy with my Frontier (and the Pioneer while I owned it, the friend I gave it to is also pleased). Even my floppy four year old hasn't gotten head slump in it and I don't even have it set to recline. I'm not a fan of the Defender personally, it's just very 'meh' to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by katymyers View Post
    I've been extremely happy with my Frontier (and the Pioneer while I owned it, the friend I gave it to is also pleased). Even my floppy four year old hasn't gotten head slump in it and I don't even have it set to recline. I'm not a fan of the Defender personally, it's just very 'meh' to me.

Do forward facing convertibles work (as in able to be installed) in your vehicle? Her head even flops in the Roundabout and rolls back and forth around corners. And it's as reclined as I could find for a seat that fits for installation.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoGranola View Post
    Do forward facing convertibles work (as in able to be installed) in your vehicle? Her head even flops in the Roundabout and rolls back and forth around corners. And it's as reclined as I could find for a seat that fits for installation.

Mine yes but my husband's no, the Frontier works in his. Ella's head definitely flops more in her old Boulevard than in the Frontier. I don't know how different the Boulevard is though because of the headwings.

My old true fit premier is the only seat I found that doesn't give my oldest head flip. I know it's been discontinued but maybe you could find it on amazon and return it if it doesn't work for you?
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

CPS Technician
    DS never had FF head slump in his Frontier. He did in the Nautilus in the same car but the Frontier was awesome for that. Do you have Diono up there? I don't recall head slump when he FF in his Radian but I wasn't paying as much attention to that as I did the Frontier.
    DS - 11 Riding in an Incognito
    DD - Two Riding in a Graco Extend2Fit and Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 1mommy View Post
    My old true fit premier is the only seat I found that doesn't give my oldest head flip. I know it's been discontinued but maybe you could find it on amazon and return it if it doesn't work for you?

I used to have one and I don't believe the shape of it will work on these seats. I'll run into the same problem as I did the Fllo and Peg. Also I don't think you've been able to get one here for years. A friend had to replace hers due to a crash over a year ago and she wasn't able to get a replacement.

The FrontierXT worked really well for my girls for sleeping. I have never tried the new click tight.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

Now that I think about it, a taller britax convertible might not work anyway. I think this may be the shorter shell that's making it work.

With the Nautilus, I am pretty sure I wasn't able to put it in recline mode else it wouldn't sit on seat right. So maybe if I'm able to install the Frontier in recline mode, I'll be ok. I'll have to get out and try it. Wish I could make my kid sleep on cue to test it.

To the Diono question earlier, I think Sears had a basic one here but they don't let you take seats to your car to try. And you can return seats unless the box hasn't been opened. Our BRU either doesn't have them, or is out of stock according to web site.

Moderator - CPST Instructor Pixelated's Avatar

I would consider a Graco Dimensions (or Contender, but no harness pads). It's quite reclined (similar to the MyRide) when FF, but is quite tall. You do lose some of the measured height once it's installed because of the angle but it is a good option.

I thought I had a useful picture but apparently not. The only thing to worry about is if the head rest can extend properly - is there a head rest in the way? Because it's reclined the Dimensions head rest angles up and back.
    Jen ~ Canadian CPST-IT with CPSAC

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelated View Post
    I would consider a Graco Dimensions (or Contender, but no harness pads). It's quite reclined (similar to the MyRide) when FF, but is quite tall. You do lose some of the measured height once it's installed because of the angle but it is a good option.

I thought I had a useful picture but apparently not. The only thing to worry about is if the head rest can extend properly - is there a head rest in the way? Because it's reclined the Dimensions head rest angles up and back.

I can remove the vehicle headrest but I might run into trouble with the headrest hitting the window at some point? (vertical window right behind headrest)

Looking at the shape of the seat, I am flip flopping between it might sit on the seat nice or it might be bad. LOL Seems Canadian Tire has it in stock so hopefully it's on display as then they will likely let me try it out.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

You've tried the SureRide?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    You've tried the SureRide?

No. I have no way to try it. Can't take seats out of Walmart here and our BRU either doesn't have it or it's out of stock. I did look at it though and how it sits and I'm pretty sure I'd have the same install issues (it hanging off seat front with large gap behind). I could be wrong, but without being able to try it, I'm hooped anyway.

It's kind of ridiculous not being able to try seats! This seems to be why I end up with Britax and Peg because at least the boutiques let you try seats!

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoGranola View Post

No. I have no way to try it. Can't take seats out of Walmart here and our BRU either doesn't have it or it's out of stock. I did look at it though and how it sits and I'm pretty sure I'd have the same install issues (it hanging off seat front with large gap behind). I could be wrong, but without being able to try it, I'm hooped anyway.

It's kind of ridiculous not being able to try seats! This seems to be why I end up with Britax and Peg because at least the boutiques let you try seats!
    I've returned a seat at Walmart with no issue.
    Mary Ann - Maman franco
    Sorry for my broken English
    DD1: 10/2008 - Rides FF in a Plum RXT or PW's
    DD2: 02/2013 - Rides RF in a Flamingo Foonf
    DS: 07/2015 - Rides RF in a cowmoo Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by Mary_Ann View Post
    I've returned a seat at Walmart with no issue.

I honestly have no desire to buy a seat and have to return it. Especially in case they throw them away. And if they don't throw them away, I wouldn't want to buy a used seat.

For what it's worth, the TFP (mine is not yet expired, but getting close) is a good fit centre (slide headrest up) and also a good fit outboard with the headrest removed. I know they can't be found anymore though.

The headrest is my problem with most of the seats I've tried, because it doesn't allow the seat to nest back. I have not tried the RXT FF recently but I recall not loving the install. Still I wonder if the g4s would work the same way as the TFP, if the headrest were gone.

Also in general the centre gives me an easier time. You might even try the Nauti there if you haven't? (I'm sure you have). We also have some head slump in the Nauti but DS is in a booster now. I'm not sure what I will chose to do when DD moves out of the TFP. Following for ideas.
    Mom to J - 5.5 years - 48lbs in a Nautilus
    and A - 2.5 years - 28lbs in an TFP
    RXT and TB as spares, riding in an F150 and Focus

18. Thank You from:

I didn't actually try the Nauti in the centre! I bet I could put it in recline mode there. I will have to try that this weekend.