Which seats for trip?

jewlsvern

We are flying and then will be in my ILs car, probably a Toyota Avalon. We have 3 kids; 9,6,4. 9 year old will use her evenflo big kid amp and we will gate check it.
What seats should we use for the other 2? We have a SK Radian, Graco My Ride, Graco Argos, and a Scenara.
What other 2 seats should we bring that will fit 3 across the Avalon and are good for the plane?

4 year old is around 37lbs and 6 year old still uses a harness full time because he has low muscle tone. Would you still harness him on the plane? I was leaning yes since we have to bring a seat for him.

Also, we've always used a stroller to get the car seats through the airport but we really don't use it anymore. What should we do this time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

rin2809

Do you use the AMP in HBB mode, or a no back booster? If it is a no back, or he can get by with a no back, I think that they fit under the seat, so you wouldn't have to worry about checking it.

What are the stats on your 6yo as far as weight and height? And does your 4 year old still fit under the top harness slots in the Scenera? Are you open to purchasing any new seats?

If you are, I would think a good solution would be:
HBB or NBB for your 9YO
Scenera for your 4 year old
Buy a SureRide for you 6 Year Old that can eventually be passed down to the 4 year old (Or maybe a Maestro if they fit the stats harnessed)

Of the seats you have, the Radian would make the most sense to bring as far as size goes if you aren't open to a new seat. But I would not want to lug one of those around the airport! As far as transport, are you bringing rolling carry-ons? I have heard that people bungee the seats right to the luggage so that they don't have to carry them.

ETA: Forgot to mention that I would definitely harness the 6YO on the plane if they are going to be harnessed in the vehicle. Means you don't have to worry about the risk of gate checking and just seems like less of a hassle.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd use a Radian for the 6 year old and Scenera for 4 yo if it fits. MyRide if not since they can puzzle but it's high-profile for the plane. (Radian isn't so bad to haul if you have wheels for it. And the folding makes it easier to carry than you would think and it is a dream to use ff on a plane.)

Travelling Toddler strap or folding luggage cart are both good options.

If you can swing it I'd get an Incognito for the 9 year old- easy to bring on board, light to carry, and more likely to work in the 3 across than the amp. At only $20 not a huge investment.

jewlsvern

If you can swing it I'd get an Incognito for the 9 year old- easy to bring on board, light to carry, and more likely to work in the 3 across than the amp. At only $20 not a huge investment.

Does it change your mind that 9 year old is only 49" and 49lbs. She is still using her booster in High back
Mode. And yes she still really needs the HB. She doesn't fit well in NB. She actually turns 9 on 3/4. Our trip is 3/16.

4 year does still fit in the scenara. not for long but enough for our trip in 2 weeks unless she grows a ton in these 2 weeks. She just turned 4 last week. Only 39" and 37lbs.

6 year old is 46" and 46lbs. I considered a booster for him but he's just not ready.

I really can't swing another seat financially. Plus kids fit really well in seats they have. If I get anything it would probably be a booster for 6 year old. I told him when he turns 7 in July we would start.

I was leaning scenara and radian but the radian is just SO heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Have you tried other backless boosters? What about a Bubblebum or Harmony with a shoulder belt adjuster?

A high back, especially the Amp, is unlikely to fit in that 3 across, based on the Avalons I've been in. And the Amp backless rarely gives a good belt fit to smaller riders while other backless boosters may, in my experience.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
On one trip we took 2 radians and another seat. We had them all on wheels so they weren't difficult until we got to the plane. And even with the stairs to climb to the plane (Burbank!) with them folded it wasn't too bad. It was 4 minutes of carrying them, in the end.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC