Aftermarket backup cameras?

MelodyoftheForest

So it looks like we will be getting a 2010 Subaru Legacy this week! I would love to add a backup camera since it seems like an affordable option to add significant safety. Does anyone have experience with these? What kind is best? I don't think the Premium trim level is wired for it, so I guess it would be wireless. Are the displays safe to mount?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
We saw a new Rand McNally device at the auto show, includes a wireless backup cam. http://myoverdryve.com/

There are dozens of backup camera models, if you aren't installing it yourself, you can narrow it down by what is carried at your local Best Buy or mobile electronics shop.

I always fancied the cameras that replaced your rear view mirror with a larger one that had an inset backup screen. But now I imagine it's cheaper to get one of those that just beams wireless to your phone, and you have a good phone mount on your dash or in a cupholder.

EmmaGrace'sMom

I've started driving my Prius again, after driving my Pilot with a backup camera I really find I miss it and feel like I can't see as well. I really like the look of that product Darren, I'm going to have to research that some more!

SavsMom

Look for a rear view mirror back up camera. They aren't terribly expensive, can be installed at most car audio places, even Best Buy, plus they don't add anything funky to your interior since the screen is integrated in with your mirror. We added these to several customers vehicles over the years and they have always worked beautifully.

CARiD

I also vote for the cameras with rear mirror mounted display. First - it's very convenient as you keep an eye both on what's going on right behind your bumper and at other larger obstacles in the mirror at the same time. Like this one for example: BOSS® BV430RVM - Rear View Mirror with 4.3" TFT Monitor and Back-Up Color Camera at CARiD
+ you don't need to mount a display somewhere on your dash. Price-wise they are less expensive than backup cameras with on-dash displays in most cases.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC