Question Chevy Traverse

izziebabe

We're in the market for a new car, and would like an SUV with a third row. My two kids (5 and 8 months) will be in a graco argos, and a rf nextfit. Ideally, I'd like to have them next to each other in the second row, leaving one outboard seat open (obviously I want the bench seat, not the captains chairs). Does anyone know if this is an option? The third row would be used occasionally for adults and kids in lb boosters.
Any other opinions about the Traverse (probably a 2011-2015), or any other recommendations for an SUV with a third row? I'm so used to my Prius lol, I'm not sure what to think about all that space!
Thanks in advance!!
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

katymyers

The Traverse has no headrests in both center rear seating positions so those would both have to be occupied by either a child in a harnessed seat or one in a high back booster that doesn't require vehicle head support. I also don't know for sure if an Argos and a Nextfit will fit side by side in that vehicle, the Argos is not a narrow seat, though I'm sure there are seats that would work.

If you aren't completely sold on a Traverse, the Honda Pilot is an excellent choice. It has headrests in all rear seating positions creating greater flexibility. Personally, I'd really look into a minivan if you're used to driving a car. They're easier to drive and get in and out of and they're more fuel efficient. They also tend to have the most efficient use of space making them much more convenient for families.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lgenne

In addition to headrests, the Pilot has 6 tether anchors. I'm not sure if it has 4 or 5 sets of lower anchors. The Traverse has way fewer (I'd have to look up specifics).

What do you need it for? Just more space? Towing? Extra seating? For pretty much everything except towing (price, safety, ease of use, mileage, comfort, car seat configuration options) minivans beat SUVs. Except not the Caravan/T&C and clones for car seats.

katymyers

In addition to headrests, the Pilot has 6 tether anchors. I'm not sure if it has 4 or 5 sets of lower anchors. The Traverse has way fewer (I'd have to look up specifics).

What do you need it for? Just more space? Towing? Extra seating? For pretty much everything except towing (price, safety, ease of use, mileage, comfort, car seat configuration options) minivans beat SUVs. Except not the Caravan/T&C and clones for car seats.

Traverse has 3-4 tether anchors depending on model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

izziebabe

In addition to headrests, the Pilot has 6 tether anchors. I'm not sure if it has 4 or 5 sets of lower anchors. The Traverse has way fewer (I'd have to look up specifics). What do you need it for? Just more space? Towing? Extra seating? For pretty much everything except towing (price, safety, ease of use, mileage, comfort, car seat configuration options) minivans beat SUVs. Except not the Caravan/T&C and clones for car seats.

We need the extra space and seating. I'm trying to decide if we could get away with having just one extra seat. If we could find a car that didn't have a third row, but could fit both kids next to each other, with room for a booster or an adult, that might be ok. I'm not having anymore kids, but I have three nephews, and I'm thinking about when my daughter wants a friend or two to come along. Argh, I don't know. Opinions?

lgenne

2011+ Honda Odyssey knocks everything else out of the park when it comes to seating. 6 rear seats that are all very usable, both for car seats and adults. Front seats very comfortable for adults. Plenty of storage space behind the 3rd row (which doesn't really set it apart from other minivans, of course).

If it's in your budget, I would test drive one for sure.

aeormsby

I have an 8-passenger Saturn Outlook (twin to the Traverse). I don't think they have made many changes - ours is a 2007.

For fitting seats side by side in the 2nd row, if you don't need access to the 3rd row you can fit anything side by side on the 40 (passenger) side and center. Pretty sure I had a Frontier passenger side & a Marathon in the center. That leaves less space for a 3rd passenger but it works. Fitting 2 seats in the 2nd row so that you can access the 3rd row is much harder.

We find it much easier now that both kids are older (they're 8 & 10 now). When grandparents are visiting the kids can sit in the 3rd row with NBB's (actually DD 5-steps on the passenger side 3rd row). If you only need the 3rd row occasionally I think you'll like it. The amount of storage in the back when the 3rd row is stored is amazing. And even with the 3rd row up it's OK. We recently had 6 adults with luggage for a trip to the airport. It would have been more spacious (not needing to have stuff on center seats) if we weren't flying to Napa and had wine boxes with :p

izziebabe

I have an 8-passenger Saturn Outlook (twin to the Traverse). I don't think they have made many changes - ours is a 2007. For fitting seats side by side in the 2nd row, if you don't need access to the 3rd row you can fit anything side by side on the 40 (passenger) side and center. Pretty sure I had a Frontier passenger side & a Marathon in the center. That leaves less space for a 3rd passenger but it works. Fitting 2 seats in the 2nd row so that you can access the 3rd row is much harder. We find it much easier now that both kids are older (they're 8 & 10 now). When grandparents are visiting the kids can sit in the 3rd row with NBB's (actually DD 5-steps on the passenger side 3rd row). If you only need the 3rd row occasionally I think you'll like it. The amount of storage in the back when the 3rd row is stored is amazing. And even with the 3rd row up it's OK. We recently had 6 adults with luggage for a trip to the airport. It would have been more spacious (not needing to have stuff on center seats) if we weren't flying to Napa and had wine boxes with :p

Thank you! That really is helpful. We just need to go test drive some cars. Ideally, I would have the two kids next to each other so that we could access the back seat. It would be such a pain to make people climb over the seat or try to crawl in from the back.

izziebabe

2011+ Honda Odyssey knocks everything else out of the park when it comes to seating. 6 rear seats that are all very usable, both for car seats and adults. Front seats very comfortable for adults. Plenty of storage space behind the 3rd row (which doesn't really set it apart from other minivans, of course). If it's in your budget, I would test drive one for sure.

I know everyone loves the oddy, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around a minivan lol. Especially when we just have two kids. Maybe I'll test drive one just to see.

Thanks!!

rin2809

I know everyone loves the oddy, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around a minivan lol. Especially when we just have two kids. Maybe I'll test drive one just to see.

Thanks!!

I was the exact same way, swore I would never drive a minivan... Then our older car died and we found a great deal on a 1999. At the time we only had one kiddo and I thought it was silly. Fast forward 3 years and another kid, and we just replaced our old van with another. We don't even have all the bells and whistles of the Oddy and I still love it. We actually keep our 3rd row folded down 90% of the time and use the space for cargo.

zactayaus

I have a 2010 Traverse. I LOVE it. We have the captains chairs though and I think that is a big part of the reason I love it so much. After having a Suburban for 11 years I was so happy to not have to flip down any seats for kids to climb in the back. With the 3rd row down the amount of cargo space is ginormous but not so great when it's up. It's sufficient but I was spoiled with the cargo space of my 'burb, so...

izziebabe

I was the exact same way, swore I would never drive a minivan... Then our older car died and we found a great deal on a 1999. At the time we only had one kiddo and I thought it was silly. Fast forward 3 years and another kid, and we just replaced our old van with another. We don't even have all the bells and whistles of the Oddy and I still love it. We actually keep our 3rd row folded down 90% of the time and use the space for cargo.

See, that's what nearly everyone says! Sigh. I guess I'm growing up lol.

izziebabe

I have a 2010 Traverse. I LOVE it. We have the captains chairs though and I think that is a big part of the reason I love it so much. After having a Suburban for 11 years I was so happy to not have to flip down any seats for kids to climb in the back. With the 3rd row down the amount of cargo space is ginormous but not so great when it's up. It's sufficient but I was spoiled with the cargo space of my 'burb, so...

That's good to know! Do you find car seats easy enough to install in the captains chairs? They didn't look as level as the bench seat, so I was worried getting a tight install would be difficult.

zactayaus

That's good to know! Do you find car seats easy enough to install in the captains chairs? They didn't look as level as the bench seat, so I was worried getting a tight install would be difficult.

The captains chairs do have slightly forward fixed headrest (at least the 2010 does) so not all seats will play nice in them. Your Argos will fit beautifully though. We have a Nauti and the fit is amazing. I'm pretty certain your nextfit will fit well too. A RF RN will fit great but I could never get an acceptable FF install with that seat there, however the RN fits awesome 3rd row center with the FF recline foot out and still leaves room for people to sit on either side. My siggy pic is an FR85 in the passenger side captains chair which also fit very well.

Last edited:

izziebabe

The captains chairs do have slightly forward fixed headrest (at least the 2010 does) so not all seats will play nice in them. Your Argos will fit beautifully though. We have a Nauti and the fit is amazing. I'm pretty certain your nextfit will fit well too. A RF RN will fit great but I could never get an acceptable FF install with that seat there, however the RN fits awesome 3rd row center with the FF recline foot out and still leaves room for people to sit on either side. My profile pic is an FR85 in the passenger side captains chair which also fit very well.

Thank you! That's all really helpful info!

ErinGoBragh

We have a 2015 Traverse. We also have the captains seats in the middle. It was one of the reasons I liked the SUV. I didn't like my previous van, but wanted the accessibility of a van. I've had it for over a year now and absolutely love it. It fits our family of 6 great.

I can't speak for too many carseats. My Keyfit fits like a glove in one of the captain's seats. DS3 uses a NBB in all of the other seating positions.

izziebabe

We have a 2015 Traverse. We also have the captains seats in the middle. It was one of the reasons I liked the SUV. I didn't like my previous van, but wanted the accessibility of a van. I've had it for over a year now and absolutely love it. It fits our family of 6 great. I can't speak for too many carseats. My Keyfit fits like a glove in one of the captain's seats. DS3 uses a NBB in all of the other seating positions.

Thanks for the info! We need to go test drive one...I just hate car shopping. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC