Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

height question...

Because DS is so young to be FF I find that he looks more comfortable in the Triumph... but I was wondering when he will be too tall?

This isn't the best picture because of the Angle, but the top of his head is really close to the top of the shell...

Also.. what about DS#1 in the back in the Radian?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: height question...

A seat is outgrown forward facing when one of the following occurs:

* tips of ears extend above the top of the hard shell
    * child's shoulders extend above the top harness slot (exception with the radian which allows shoulders 1" above the top harness slot)
    * child exceeds the weight limit on the seat

None of your kids look like their ears are above the shell of the seat. The harnesses all look above the shoulders as well (as far as I can tell). As long as they are within the weight limit, then I would say they fit okay.

I know from reading your earlier posts that your youngest is 36+ pounds and thus cannot rearface in any approved seats here, so I won't go into a talk about why rearfacing is safer. There isn't many options for you besides importing a seat.
    Last edited by MomToEliEm; 11-02-2007 at 06:25 AM. Reason: fixing grammer (I am bad with that)

It looks like you've got quite awhile for him to be in that seat... provided he doesn't hit 40lbs too soon.

I just wanted to mention, that the middle slots are re-inforced for forward facing, so if you want to move the harness down on the Triumph and see if those slots fit him any better, you can go ahead and do that. Just make sure that they are at or above his shoulders if you want to give the middle slots a try.

DS1 in the Radian looks like he has years left in the seat... 2 or 3 maybe?

Oh yeah, to re-iterate the above poster... outgrown by height foward facing when the tips of the ears go above the top of the shell or when the shoulders go above the top harness slots.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

Quote Originally Posted by MomToEliEm View Post
    so I won't go into a talk about why rearfacing is safer. There isn't many options for you besides importing a seat.
    oh... don't worry that I know that RF is safer... I had tears when I was switching seats around... I just don't have the funds to import a seat...

thanks for the height guidlines... I have a Radian ready for him when he outgrows the Triumph... I just hope that it will be a bit later which is why I was wondering about the height...

CPS Fanatic

How old is he? It's possible as he starts getting more active he may drop a few pounds...keep weighing him!

He just hit 11 months...

I am weighing him every few weeks...

he is starting to walk now and is still pretty much EBF (has only had a few bites of rice to date) but is still gaining though it has slowed down... (we are waiting to see an endocrinologist if anyone is wondering)

Just to make sure... The Radian is officially tested at 35# even though the stickers don't reflect it.... right?

If it was your child (to anyone here) up to what weight would you feel comfortable RF? feel free to pm me if you don't want to say it "officially"

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by paxye View Post
    He just hit 11 months...

I am weighing him every few weeks...
    "
    Geez, no wonder you're upset about it

No one has seen a Radian with the maximum weight limit of 35lbs yet. Until we see them, I would only feel comfortable with the parental decision to 33lbs RFing in the Radian... since we know the Radian is the identical seat whether you are in Canada or the USA.

Edited to add: The 35lbs limit information came from an SKJP source that has been known to make mistakes in the past. Until we have proof that they go to 35lbs, the 33lbs limit is still the maximum for this seat. By proof, I mean an actual Radian seat stickered to 35lbs.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

CPS Fanatic

Just out of curiosity, do you have top tethers in your van? If not, I would put him in Radian ASAP due to its excellent testing results for head excursion without a tether.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

I think she's in Canada...seats only labeled RF to 30, van has top tethers...
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
    Just out of curiosity, do you have top tethers in your van? If not, I would put him in Radian ASAP due to its excellent testing results for head excursion without a tether.
    Yes... all three seats are tethered... isn't that the law?

Edited to add: The 35lbs limit information came from an SKJP source that has been known to make mistakes in the past. Until we have proof that they go to 35lbs, the 33lbs limit is still the maximum for this seat. By proof, I mean an actual Radian seat stickered to 35lbs.
    Thanks for that info... I'll keep my eye on the forums here...

Quote Originally Posted by paxye View Post
    Yes... all three seats are tethered... isn't that the law?
    It is the law in Canada, but the question was posed from a US member. The USA does not currently have a mandatory top tether requirement.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC