height question...

paxye

Because DS is so young to be FF I find that he looks more comfortable in the Triumph... but I was wondering when he will be too tall?

This isn't the best picture because of the Angle, but the top of his head is really close to the top of the shell...

Also.. what about DS#1 in the back in the Radian?

1813890060_34014807ba.jpg

ADS

MomToEliEm

A seat is outgrown forward facing when one of the following occurs:

* tips of ears extend above the top of the hard shell
* child's shoulders extend above the top harness slot (exception with the radian which allows shoulders 1" above the top harness slot)
* child exceeds the weight limit on the seat

None of your kids look like their ears are above the shell of the seat. The harnesses all look above the shoulders as well (as far as I can tell). As long as they are within the weight limit, then I would say they fit okay.

I know from reading your earlier posts that your youngest is 36+ pounds and thus cannot rearface in any approved seats here, so I won't go into a talk about why rearfacing is safer. There isn't many options for you besides importing a seat.

Last edited:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
It looks like you've got quite awhile for him to be in that seat... provided he doesn't hit 40lbs too soon. :eek:

I just wanted to mention, that the middle slots are re-inforced for forward facing, so if you want to move the harness down on the Triumph and see if those slots fit him any better, you can go ahead and do that. Just make sure that they are at or above his shoulders if you want to give the middle slots a try.

DS1 in the Radian looks like he has years left in the seat... 2 or 3 maybe?

Oh yeah, to re-iterate the above poster... outgrown by height foward facing when the tips of the ears go above the top of the shell or when the shoulders go above the top harness slots.

paxye

so I won't go into a talk about why rearfacing is safer. There isn't many options for you besides importing a seat.

oh... don't worry that I know that RF is safer... I had tears when I was switching seats around... I just don't have the funds to import a seat... :eek:

thanks for the height guidlines... I have a Radian ready for him when he outgrows the Triumph... I just hope that it will be a bit later which is why I was wondering about the height...

ThreeBeans

How old is he? It's possible as he starts getting more active he may drop a few pounds...keep weighing him! :thumbsup:

paxye

He just hit 11 months...

I am weighing him every few weeks...

he is starting to walk now and is still pretty much EBF (has only had a few bites of rice to date) but is still gaining though it has slowed down... (we are waiting to see an endocrinologist if anyone is wondering)

Just to make sure... The Radian is officially tested at 35# even though the stickers don't reflect it.... right?

If it was your child (to anyone here) up to what weight would you feel comfortable RF? feel free to pm me if you don't want to say it "officially"

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
No one has seen a Radian with the maximum weight limit of 35lbs yet. Until we see them, I would only feel comfortable with the parental decision to 33lbs RFing in the Radian... since we know the Radian is the identical seat whether you are in Canada or the USA.

Edited to add: The 35lbs limit information came from an SKJP source that has been known to make mistakes in the past. Until we have proof that they go to 35lbs, the 33lbs limit is still the maximum for this seat. By proof, I mean an actual Radian seat stickered to 35lbs.

ThreeBeans

Just out of curiosity, do you have top tethers in your van? If not, I would put him in Radian ASAP due to its excellent testing results for head excursion without a tether.

paxye

Just out of curiosity, do you have top tethers in your van? If not, I would put him in Radian ASAP due to its excellent testing results for head excursion without a tether.

Yes... all three seats are tethered... isn't that the law?

Edited to add: The 35lbs limit information came from an SKJP source that has been known to make mistakes in the past. Until we have proof that they go to 35lbs, the 33lbs limit is still the maximum for this seat. By proof, I mean an actual Radian seat stickered to 35lbs.

Thanks for that info... I'll keep my eye on the forums here...

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Yes... all three seats are tethered... isn't that the law?

It is the law in Canada, but the question was posed from a US member. The USA does not currently have a mandatory top tether requirement.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC