CRV vs Forester

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Continuing in our tradition of never being satisfied with our current vehicles, DH and I are considering something new. Right now we're debating between the CRV and the Forester.

They're both very similar in terms of crash testing and both get the highest rating from IIHS. I like that the option safety features in the Forester are available at lower trim levels (and therefore lower prices) than on the CRV.

DH and I are both very loyal to Honda, but I'm willing to switch brands. I think he is, too, but he's more hesitant about it.

This would be our non-family car (for DH or I to use when we're alone or when we have one kid with us), so fitting all three kids in the back is nice, but not necessarily a requirement. From the looks of both back seats, it seems that it would be possible, though not particularly pleasant, in both.

We like that the backseat has its own air vents in the CRV. We like the small but additional amount of storage space under the back panel of the Forester.

It's kind of a toss-up right now. Does anyone have strong opinions either way? Anything else we should consider with these two? Also, does anyone know what maintenance costs are like on Subarus? Comparable to Honda? (We don't want to pay out the nose for an oil change like our friends with a VW have to.)

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think possible but not pleasant describes 3 across in both those vehicles, likely.

My mom is very happy with the hauling, reliability, and mileage on her CR-V. I've put 2 kids in boosters on either side of a boulevard ClickTight in it (but the one on the 60 side of the split had to be a Bubblebum.)

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Are you looking to buy "new-new"? I hear that the newest generation of Foresters is much better for car seat compatibility than previous models. I hear that they did away with the hump in the back seat and that it's roomier all around.

I love driving Subarus. I haven't ever driven a CRV but I would definitely buy a Forester again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, probably new-new. The Forester we looked at the other day had a hump in the middle. Not gigantic, but there.

FTR, kids are a 5-stepper, a booster rider, and a FF-harnessed kid. They're all very skinny, so the 5-stepper can technically squeeze in just about anywhere, and in the rare case I'd need to have all three kids back there, I could put the boostered kid in a BubbleBum.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, probably new-new. The Forester we looked at the other day had a hump in the middle. Not gigantic, but there.

FTR, kids are a 5-stepper, a booster rider, and a FF-harnessed kid. They're all very skinny, so the 5-stepper can technically squeeze in just about anywhere, and in the rare case I'd need to have all three kids back there, I could put the boostered kid in a BubbleBum.

I think either one would do fine for you if you have a 5 stepper. CR-V possibly slightly better.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador

Hmmmm...maybe it was the Outback that got rid of the hump. Or maybe they made it smaller but didn't get rid of it...

Just asked my husband and he said that the transmission of Subarus is more complicated and that it does make them more expensive to maintain. I don't think it's exorbitant, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The CR-V gets SLIGHTLY better mileage on average. Hondas are "gadgety"- I like the little storage compartments and other touches everywhere in our van, my mom loves them in her suv too. (I mean we have heated seats. A "cool box" to keep drinks cool. A freaking PLUG in the back...) And our mechanic told us he prefers Hondas and Toyotas for reliability. I just like the STYLE better too.

But if there's stuff you like about the Forester, the differences aren't huge imo.

Test drive both and see what you like I guess!

jjordan

Our Subaru is almost 20 years old so there's a vote of confidence for the Forester! We haven't noticed that repairs are more expensive than other cars.

Persimmon

The Forester has the options of the Eyesight crash prevention and also I can't remember the name of it but sort of like Subaru's version of OnStar.. I have the previous version of the Forester and the no air vents in the back is not great in the blazing summer deep Southern heat. Really wish they would fix that. It cools the entire car down well but the fan has to be on high for a while at first. I am sensitive to sound so that bugs me. Otherwise I love it. I haven't noticed any significant difference in maintenance. I thought the seat hump was gone now also.

SavsMom

Both are great choices so you can't go wrong either way.
The Forester will retain more resale value should that be a concern and the AWD in the Forester is superior to the CRV in terms of overall effectiveness.
I'm a huge Subaru fan but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Both are great choices so you can't go wrong either way. The Forester will retain more resale value should that be a concern and the AWD in the Forester is superior to the CRV in terms of overall effectiveness. I'm a huge Subaru fan but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Really? I thought Hondas held their value better than Subarus. Interesting--I'll have to look into that. (That's another big concern of DH's)

SavsMom

Really? I thought Hondas held their value better than Subarus. Interesting--I'll have to look into that. (That's another big concern of DH's)

Hondas have great resale but the Subaru is phenomenal. It's a supply and demand type situation and it drives the price of Subies up.

Auction data shows a 2014 Forester Premium with an average auction price of 21,200 vs an average for a 2014 AWD CRV EX at $18,300.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC